Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of stepping away from my Santa Cruz Hightower LT and picking up a new carbon 27.5 P153. I used to ride a 2015 P153 and it's still one of my favorite bikes to date.

Wondering if anyone here is riding a Process in 27.5 with a coil shock? If so, how is it? From a lot of the reviews I've been sifting through people have said the 153 gets overwhelmed on chunky descents; wondering if a coil would help with that.

And how do you guys like the bike for climbs? Looking at the bike it's going to be around 34 lbs, which is definitely getting into almost 'too heavy for me' territory.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have an alloy 18 Process 29er with a coil. I found the rear to be extraordinarily progressive with the Deluxe shock. Much better sensitivity and small bump compliance with the coil. It's heavy and a bit of a dog on the climbs but it climbs with enough dignity that I'm willing to take a hit. You may get a great climbing platform with a more expensive shock but if weight is an absolute deal breaker for you, then a coil will be a compromise for sure. The way I see it is that a bike with 6+ inches of travel isn't really a platform where weight is a big issue. Just my opinion however.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an alloy 18 Process 29er with a coil. I found the rear to be extraordinarily progressive with the Deluxe shock. Much better sensitivity and small bump compliance with the coil. It's heavy and a bit of a dog on the climbs but it climbs with enough dignity that I'm willing to take a hit. You may get a great climbing platform with a more expensive shock but if weight is an absolute deal breaker for you, then a coil will be a compromise for sure. The way I see it is that a bike with 6+ inches of travel isn't really a platform where weight is a big issue. Just my opinion however.

Awesome to hear it! I typically only have one bike in the quiver so I'd prefer it to not be too much of a pig, but rather a bike that can do it all.

How do you like that Sentinel compared to your 153?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ahh, I got ya. In that case, it would definitely make sense to look at weight. The Sentinel has been an interesting experience. When I first got it the geometry was so novel that I couldn't help but ride it all the time. However, after picking up the Kona for an incredible deal, I find that I sometimes favour the Kona.

On paper, both bikes seen like similar platforms but they ride very differently. The Kona tends to be a bit better as an all around trail bike IMHO. The pedaling platform is more progressive and I can swap between an air can and coil in the rear if I want a bike park optimised rig.

The Sentinel is super active even with an air can. It's a great park bike but it tends to punish you a bit more on the climbs. I've been hesitant to put a coil on it because I always find myself hitting the climb switch on my air setup. My setup is actually heavier than my Kona as well. However, the geometry does help on steep, technical stuff.

In conclusion, the Sentinel is a great shredder in techie terrain that points down but the Kona is a more capable "trail all arounder" in my experience.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm thinking of stepping away from my Santa Cruz Hightower LT and picking up a new carbon 27.5 P153. I used to ride a 2015 P153 and it's still one of my favorite bikes to date.

Wondering if anyone here is riding a Process in 27.5 with a coil shock? If so, how is it? From a lot of the reviews I've been sifting through people have said the 153 gets overwhelmed on chunky descents; wondering if a coil would help with that.

And how do you guys like the bike for climbs? Looking at the bike it's going to be around 34 lbs, which is definitely getting into almost 'too heavy for me' territory.
I have the same bike and shock as Mogollon and agree with everything he said. I will add that the coil makes the rear end much softer and more "active" which is great for technical climbs but not so much for fire road climbs. A DHX2 with a climb switch would probably help but it's about double the price of the Bomber...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m on a 2019 165 with a Super Deluxe Ultimate coil and couldn’t be happier.

Bike climbs well fully open, but the lockout switch on the coil is an amazing tool to have in the quiver for fireroad climbs a big road returns like I did yesterday!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just put a push elevensix coil on my 2019 cr/dL 153 and it is amazing. Both uphill and downhill mode pedal well. And downhill mode is super plush, and climb mode is amazing for pumping through flowly trails. 11/10 would recommend.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You can make the Super Deluxe a LOT less progressive by taking out the volume spacers. It will start to feel more of a plow bike than it currently is, though.

If I were racing a lot, I would probably do just that. On regular rides, I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh also not that it matters too much since it pedals so well, but my bike is size small frame with composite wah wah pedals and water bottle cage with multi tool from giant, and a oneup components 150 dropper rather than stock 125 reverb, comes in at just a few hundredths of a pound over 33 lbs. it was about 31.5 lbs without the push shock and water bottle holder and post swap.

The coolest part of the part of the push is having a plush dh mode and a firm dh mode. Both are super fun. Terribly expensive upgrade, but definitely worth considering at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.