Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my entry level Specialized Pitch Expert last week. It was my first MTB and as I started to realize I love riding, I figured it was time for a better bike. After reading and getting suggestions from friends I realized adding an air fork, dropper and 1x drivetrain I would over value the bike and still have limits.

I was leaning towards a Salsa Timberjack but the fit was off. Now I’m looking at the Kona Honzo since it at my mad budget of $1400. Do any of you who may own one have any feedback on it or items you hate about the bike? I don’t see many post on the 2019 version.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,834 Posts
The highlight of the Honzo is the geometry, and geometry is priority #1 in my book. It's a pretty solid package. NX 11 speed is pretty solid, Shimano brakes, tubeless rims (but not tires), Dropper, Air fork, Etc.

It's a super fun bike. If you want to upgrade certain things down the road it's a bike worth spending money on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thanks for the reply. I see it has a narrower tire and others at 2.25. Do you think that will make a big difference compare to a 2.6

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,834 Posts
Great. Thanks for the reply. I see it has a narrower tire and others at 2.25. Do you think that will make a big difference compare to a 2.6
It depends on where/how you ride, and also personal preference. I'd ride it as-is and see if you like it. Most likely the Honzo rims are a good bit wider than the rims on your old bike which will add a significant amount of volume to the tire making it feel bigger than it is.

Really though it's a small detail in the grand scheme. I wouldn't make any bike buying decision based on what tires it comes with. It's a temporary wear item that can easily be replaced for $40-80.

It's not like frame geometry which is more permanent. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the 2019 base model of the Big Honzo. Just has 27.5x 2.8 tires. I think the geometry is slightly different for the different wheel size For the price it has decent components. It's a fun bike and seems to be well built. Definitely a good base to start with and a foundation worth upgrading as funds permit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys. I definitely wouldn’t base it on tire size since I believe a 2.4 will squeeze in on the front. I’m excited to take it for a ride if they get a medium in this week. I have a Thule rack with the arms to hold the bike so I’m hoping not having internal cabling won’t be an issue.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone with a base 2019 Honzo get me the chain stay dimensions. The measurements for the tallest part of it and the the narrowest part along with the width?

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just wanted to add you can run the 2019 AL Honzo tubeless without hassle, I converted two weeks ago with the stock setup.

And a picture, because everything is better with pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.