Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a 2014 Fuel Ex 8 29er I am looking to upgrade to a 2019 bike. I was looking at the Remedy 8 thinking the extra travel would be nice plus a change to 27.5 would be an interesting change. However if I'm honest, for the type of riding I typically do, the Remedy is much more bike than I need so I'm probably better off sticking with the Fuel Ex. Now the 2019 alloy Fuel Ex 8 hits the sweet spot for me in terms of price and specs but the only problem is my LBS has sold out of the Fuel Ex8 in my size (17.5). I don't want to downgrade to the 7 so the next best option is the 9.7. I've never been especially fussed about getting a carbon frame but I'm not opposed to the idea either. I just didn't think the extra cost was worthwhile. However as the 8 is sold out I'm now considering the 9.7. The specs look pretty good and similar to the 8 although possibly a slight downgrade in drivetrain. Tbh I'm not really familiar with the new specs, especially SRAM, as I haven't really kept up with the changes since buying my 2014 Fuel.

Just wanting to get opinions on the 9.7 vs the 8. Should I get the 9.7 or would I be better off to just wait for the 2020 Fuel Ex 8?

Bearing in mind the 9.7 is currently on sale (20%) being the end of line for the 2019 range (as is the Remedy) whereas the 2020 Ex8 will be full MRRP when it eventually comes in.

Appreciate any opinions and/or recommendations?

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
263 Posts
Coming from a 2014 Fuel Ex 8 29er I am looking to upgrade to a 2019 bike. I was looking at the Remedy 8 thinking the extra travel would be nice plus a change to 27.5 would be an interesting change. However if I'm honest, for the type of riding I typically do, the Remedy is much more bike than I need so I'm probably better off sticking with the Fuel Ex. Now the 2019 alloy Fuel Ex 8 hits the sweet spot for me in terms of price and specs but the only problem is my LBS has sold out of the Fuel Ex8 in my size (17.5). I don't want to downgrade to the 7 so the next best option is the 9.7. I've never been especially fussed about getting a carbon frame but I'm not opposed to the idea either. I just didn't think the extra cost was worthwhile. However as the 8 is sold out I'm now considering the 9.7. The specs look pretty good and similar to the 8 although possibly a slight downgrade in drivetrain. Tbh I'm not really familiar with the new specs, especially SRAM, as I haven't really kept up with the changes since buying my 2014 Fuel.

Just wanting to get opinions on the 9.7 vs the 8. Should I get the 9.7 or would I be better off to just wait for the 2020 Fuel Ex 8?

Bearing in mind the 9.7 is currently on sale (20%) being the end of line for the 2019 range (as is the Remedy) whereas the 2020 Ex8 will be full MRRP when it eventually comes in.

Appreciate any opinions and/or recommendations?
The 2020 Fuel EX will be out in the next few months. I'd wait for sure...

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you’re set on a fuel ex, I’d definitely wait for the 2020. If you’re going to keep your 2014 fuel, you might want to demo a remedy. I rode one last month, and was blown away how much fun it was.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're set on a fuel ex, I'd definitely wait for the 2020. If you're going to keep your 2014 fuel, you might want to demo a remedy. I rode one last month, and was blown away how much fun it was.
I rode the Remedy in the LBS carpark but their demo bike was out of service waiting for parts. The 17.5 felt small in terms of reach and I was more comfortable on the 18.5. I might still get to ride the demo bike on my local trails as soon as the spare part arrives. Felt like a tank compared to my old Fuel but apart from fit you can't really learn much from a carpark demo. Would be great to ride it out on the trail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at both the EX9.7 and the EX8+ this spring. Ended up buying the EX8+. The EX8+ has a littler better component spec. and a little more suspension up front. Also looked up the frames and the difference in weight was only 2lbs. I just couldn’t justify the extra cost. The first few times I rode it felt kind of slow but very comfortable. I’ve since set it up tubeless and swapped the tires out to WTB Ranger 2.8’s. Ended up knocking a full minute of my best time on the local trail. Eventuality I may buy a set of 29er wheels, but so far I am extremely happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
GONE
27,022 Posts
If you are used to the 29er, I'd stick with that. I've ridden both and prefer the 29er for it's better rolling over the rough and higher/faster speed going downhill. The latest Fuel EX is about equal with the 2014 Remedy.

I'd look for a newer/used 2018/2019 Fuel EX. Great deals on lightly used bikes are around to the to find if you search. Big savings this way, too.

Otherwise, I'd wait for the 2020 Fuel EX. Rumor is that it will be a lil' changed over the current '17/'18/'19 design.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm kicking myself, could've had the Fuel ex 8 at a 30% discount but I hummed and hawed over the Remedy and the Ex 8's sold out.

Ah well I'll wait and see what the 2020 model brings to the table.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.