Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an enduro specific X2 shock with the unique shock mount and while the box says 2.25 stroke, the exposed stanchion measures more than that. Is this normal? Im worried that I bought the wrong shock :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't have experience with that shock, but it's the same case for my 2014 Enduro's Cane Creek Double Barrel Air CS. There's an internal bumper that limits its travel and stops it from using all of the stanchion.

You could see what its travel is by measuring its length with no air (fully compressed in its travel) and at maximum extension. It's likely to not use up all of the stanchion, as in my case.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nothing wrong with your shock like previously said. If you're over 180lbs you may need to add a spacer. Other than that enjoy your new Shock.
He's talking about the shock's travel, worried that since he sees a longer stanchion it might lead to mechanical interference between other components due to excessive travel for the rear triangle.

His query isn't about volume spacers or how linear the shock will be.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
I understood the question. I was just giving him a heads up about the spacer and weight.
I'm sure the shaft is correct. I've had the X2 on my 2017 since i bought it and a 2014 before that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many spacers does the shock come with? Im over 180lbs and i think the shock is a little on the firm side compared to my ohlins coil. I did not have a hard time setting the sag. But with the recommended 30percent sag a feel like the bike does not react well on hi speed repetitive hits.

As for the stanchion length, yeah i think it is longer than 2
25 inches but when you compress the shock fully it should stop at 2.25". I havent checked yet though but im not too worried anymore.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Most Fox rear shocks (and forks for that matter) do not use all of the available stanchion like RS. You can have anywhere from 3-10 mm of extra depending on the setup. For example the DPX2 210x50 - 55 - 57 are the exact same shock with a travel limiting spacer internally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.