Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a Giant Regin 1.5 2019 equipped with a custom tuned Fox DPX2 rear shock. I weight 85kg (187lbs) with gear and currently have about 250psi in. I probably need to add more, since I'm blowing through the full travel easily, although sag is between 25-30%.
While trying to find my perfect rebound setting I noticed that even on fully closed (slowest) rebound, the shock still returns very fast. I am currently just two clicks from fully closed. All other shocks that I've owned previously were extremely slow (unusable) on fully closed rebound, but this one is still pretty fast. Is this normal? The shock is custom tuned for Giant. The tune ID is DNCP, which yields this info:

2019, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Trunnion, Evol LCR, Giant, Reign 1.5, 205, 62.5, CM, RLA019, Rezi L F M, Merck CE16-16 Gloss/DP-DS004 Black Matte Logo
I can't find information about RLA019. I suspect this is Rebound = Light (which can explain the fast rebound), but I can't decode the A019 part. Anyone has a clue? Are your DPX2 shocks still fast on the slowest rebound?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suggest spacers, not more pressure. IDK about the rebound control, but what you describe does sound unusual.
You're probably right about the spacers. I only did two short rides though and I'm not even sure the sag was perfect, since I didn't have a ruler with me. For my weight I will probably need couple of spacers.

Did you equalize the air chambers?
Of course unless there's an issue with the shock, but I clearly feel the equalization when compressing the shock while pumping it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A lot of stumpjumper Evo owners having similar issue with the dpx2, heavier riders running 200+ psi couldn't get the rebound slow enough. Must have been the tune.
Hi I have trance 29 2019, with dpx2, tune code dnc2. I have 92 kg, I have to pump about 300psi to get 27% sag, the rebound is still to fast in open mode no matter what i did. I have tried all the different spacers but it did not help. It is like there is no rebound damping in open mode. I have called to fox service center and they told me, that I am not the fisrt one who called them with this issue, and that the giant started to set the rebound too light recently. They can try to tune it, but do not have any instruction from giant and do not guarantie it will work. Damping on my giant anthem 2016 works great.
I think that this light tune works only for riders up to 75kg

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm the same weight as you and on a 2019 Dpx2 factory 210x55 140mm of travel with 3 clicks of compression (from open) on my RM Instinct. Medium stock tune, aftermarket. I love it at 225 psi. I had to remove a spacer too. My bike is really progressive and I couldn't access all travel and had to remove the spacer. Running at 30% sag.

250psi does seem really high. Sounds like you just need spacers to begin with. You don't want to get whacky with the psi, in my experience at least, as it changes how well the shock works. Instead of removing a spacer, I initially dropped psi and ran more sag. Everything got really harsh. When I removed the spacer and added the right psi, it was WAY more plush but pedaled better too. I also had to slow the rebound down too. Loving it now

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I can gather it really is down to Giant ordering a very light rebound tune for 2019 bikes. This doesn't seem to be working well for heavier riders, who need to pump lots of psi into the shock. I don't have much issues with my 190lbs, because with 2 clicks it rides just about right, but it still feels a bit too close for comfort. I still need to throw in a token or two, because I'm easily blowing through the travel on light trails. Hopefully after the tokens I won't need much more rebound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi I have trance 29 2019, with dpx2, tune code dnc2. I have 92 kg, I have to pump about 300psi to get 27% sag, the rebound is still to fast in open mode no matter what i did. I have tried all the different spacers but it did not help. It is like there is no rebound damping in open mode. I have called to fox service center and they told me, that I am not the fisrt one who called them with this issue, and that the giant started to set the rebound too light recently. They can try to tune it, but do not have any instruction from giant and do not guarantie it will work. Damping on my giant anthem 2016 works great.
I think that this light tune works only for riders up to 75kg
I have the same bike, I'm about 80kg, and I have the same issue. With the rebound set as slow as possible, it feels just about right. My Shockwiz agrees. Still doesn't feel as supple as I'd like. I removed the stock volume spacer and put the next smallest one in. I might try the smallest volume spacer and see what that does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.