Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 813 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got one of these a few weeks ago Factory 36 grip2 with 170mm of travel and set it up according to the manual, 75psi no volume spacers, 6 clicks LSR 5 Clicks HSR, 6 clicks LSC and 10 clicks HSC. Fork felt great out in Pisgah riding trails like Bennet Gap, Heartbreak, and Kitsuma along with some DuPont. It does feel quite a bit firmer in the parking lot than I'm used to yet at the same time really soaks stuff up and doesn't get overwhelmed when it gets rowdy like my previous fork with an Avalanche damper( that damper just couldn't keep up with constant chunder of 15 minute dh's and would feel sloppy and spikey) I will say with the factory recommended air pressure and sag I have to do some really stupid stuff to use the last half inch of travel but like I said the fork feels great as far as soaking up the rocks roots drops etc and keeping the tire glued to the ground without feeling spikey so I'm not overly concerned about that.

In the tuning guide they list 16 clicks of available HSC though my fork has 30 clicks available. So is the useable range only 16 clicks and anything beyond that from full closed does nothing? Not really sure. I think fox knocked it out of the park on this one even though it isn't the plushest feeling fork out there in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Parking lot tests don’t do **** for modern forks. If it feels good in the parking 9 out of 10 it will be hot garbage on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hi AlienRFX - yea the manual is wrong on the clicks - fox proof read your manuals you muppets - but the fork felt great at the suggested settings. I took 10 out of 16 on HSC to actually mean 10 out of 30.

I have both a year 19 and 18 currently and cycling the rc2 vs the grip, by hand, when servicing them there is a noticeable difference in stiction. Im not sure it makes that much difference on the trail. i think the main benefit of grip 2 is that you sit in the middle of the tuning range rather than having to run it all open like the old forks. The 36 grip 2 fork still has that firm feeling that fox have had for a while.

Im 100% sure thats down to the air side of the fork where with the current design they have struggled to make the negative air spring large enough to make it ultra supple without reducing the positive too much and creating a load of ramp up.

Rock Shoxs 2019 trick on their forks by making the shaft in the neg area hollow was a really good idea. No decrease in positive volume but an increase in negative.

Still its a phenomenal fork.. lots of traction.. and very composed.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Rock Shoxs 2019 trick on their forks by making the shaft in the neg area hollow was a really good idea. No decrease in positive volume but an increase in negative.

Still its a phenomenal fork.. lots of traction.. and very composed.
The 2018 Fox 36 uses a hollow shaft that is used for extra negative air volume.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ive just got a set of Grip2 forks. im about 82kg and have set them up with 1 token and backed off the lsc and hsc 2 click. 76psi - rebound on the base settings and they feel great.

ive only done two rides on them but so far so good

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Definitely no knocking in my fork.

Which damper had more stiction Karve? the RC2 or the Grip2?
Some early variant of the evol on the 2018 fork had a different bumper which could produce a bit of top out.. was sorted out by fox well over a year ago.

From what Rick says it may well also have also introduced the hollow shaft.

Good comparison here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKfy5R7FuUM

the RC2 deffo had more stiction but not massively more. 20-30% less maybe. Most of the stiction comes from the air side so its all relative really.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The 36 Grip2 is like all Fox's recent forks, it rides high in its travel and its very composed. The RC2 Lyrik definitely gives up its travel a bit easier, its a nice fork but I could not get the demo one I have to ride how I want it to ride.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 36 definitely rides high, but flattens out the small stuff and gobbles up the large stuff. It's honestly the best fork I've used over 22 years of riding. I did add 1 more click of lsr the other day and it helped calm the motion of the ocean.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The 36 Grip2 is like all Fox's recent forks, it rides high in its travel and its very composed. The RC2 Lyrik definitely gives up its travel a bit easier, its a nice fork but I could not get the demo one I have to ride how I want it to ride.
Hey Rick I see you fitted a Luftkappe - same here. Did you keep pressure the same or bump it up a bit?

Im 76kg kitted and running 67psi on a 180 version. Feels good but no big hits with it yet and deffo not getting into the last 20mm of travel yet.

Had to run 61 PSI & 1 token in my 2018 to make it supple enough so seems a step forward.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey folks, sorry for the stupid question:
The HS and LS adjusters seem to turn turn together (when turning the LSC the HSC turns with it, etc.). Are they meant to?
Thanks for your time.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
Hey folks, sorry for the stupid question:
The HS and LS adjusters seem to turn turn together (when turning the LSC the HSC turns with it, etc.). Are they meant to?
Thanks for your time.
Pretty much every shock/fork that has this adjustment does this. It's fine. It's not adjusting the LSC.

1 - 20 of 813 Posts