Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a small but I'm usually in between sizes (I do hate a 175mm crank). I am 169cm 5'6.5 Currently riding a BMC Fourstroke (412 reach) with a 60mm stem-720 bars but 70 stem did fit well. Any advice ? thanks !

·
Registered
746 Posts
Other than a demo it's hard to say. I'm 6 1 3/4 and I rode a large for a while. Since i moved to XL it's been a lot better in terms of downhill conditions as well as overall comfort. Specialized has two pro riders about my height on large bikes. Size isnt something you can be sure of until you test it out.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm happy on a medium at 5'10" with the stock 50mm stem. I do ride mid-sole which moves me down and forward, otherwise I'd be putting a shorter stem on it. I'd say Small for your height.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Looking at a small but I'm usually in between sizes (I do hate a 175mm crank). I am 169cm 5'6.5 Currently riding a BMC Fourstroke (412 reach) with a 60mm stem-720 bars but 70 stem did fit well. Any advice ? thanks !
I am 5'7" and ride a medium Epic with stock 80mm stem and 720 bars and 175 cranks. However I have longer legs so lots of seat post exposed. Fit is good for me. The issue is you could go with both small or medium, but your body proportions and how you want the bike to fit will make the difference.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers. My saddle height is not too high, 68cm. I figure a small and 70 to 80mm stem depending on the bars and how I want it. I can't try one, but I did sit on one infront of my bike fitter. He said exactly like you, I'm right in between but he said the small seems like the safe choice. Medium is +25mm reach.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Thanks for the answers. My saddle height is not too high, 68cm. I figure a small and 70 to 80mm stem depending on the bars and how I want it. I can't try one, but I did sit on one infront of my bike fitter. He said exactly like you, I'm right in between but he said the small seems like the safe choice. Medium is +25mm reach.
I used to ride a bike with a 10mm shorter top tube. It worked, but had a longer stem. The longer TT and shorter stem combo works well. I think these bikes work best with 60-80mm stems. If you need a 90 on a small to not feel cramped then try 70 on a medium. If you have enough leg length it will probably prove to be better handling bike especially in steep downhill stuff.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
enough leg length to have the saddle higher or level with the bars ?

Do you only check stack and reach ? Does it tell the whole story on what stem I will be using ?

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
enough leg length to have the saddle higher or level with the bars ?

Do you only check stack and reach ? Does it tell the whole story on what stem I will be using ?
Enough leg length so the seat post is not slammed in to the frame. And yes stack goes up with a medium vs small, but not that much. If you like a slammed stem an inverted negative rise stem them the medium might be too big. I don't have that problem however.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see from your pics you are a tall 5'7 ! Seat is exposed and flipped stem, still looks like a level drop ! I usually have to slam and flip the stem to have it level or 1 cm drop. My saddle height is about 168cm. I've got short arms (ape index) as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi...
Just crashing in on this topic:)
I am about to buy a new 2019 Epic Expert ( or maybe the s-works)

I am 181 cm and inner leg lenght is 83cm. From 2013-2016 I rode a 2013 Epic size medium with a 90mm stem. I was just getting in to mtb and the size seemed to fit. I switched to Cannondale f-si the next years and size M. and the last year I have ridden a Cannondale Scalpel size L. There were pros and cons switching to a size L but with some fine tuning the overall result was okay.

now I want to get back to Epic again. Went by the dealer and sat on a medium and a large.
The medium was a bit cramped because of the short stem that comes stock on the new models. But upgrading to a 100/110mm will make it fit like the Large.
Any good advice? Going smaller with longer stem or bigger with a shorter stem?
I ride on XC trails, but like to go the marathon distance sometimes.
Best regards

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would go with a large. As a guy that can ride both the larger size has been very beneficial, only downside I see is a slightly heavier bike but it's also got the correct headtube stiffness

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look at stack and reach... it doesn't seem to lie. For me small was the ticket based on the reach and potentiel stem (70cm and could go either way depending on how I want it). I am not your height but I think if I had a 100-110mm maybe I'd go to the next size up.
Between MED and LARGE you have 23mm difference in reach. Is it either a large with an 80-90 or medium 100-110 ?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm the same height as you and I've learned sitting between two sizes can come down to (1) flexibility, (2) proportionality of limbs and (3) riding style/preference/terrain.

Flexibility - The small will have a shorter stack height (588 vs 597), small changes to saddle to bar ratio make a huge difference. So depending on your back/hamstring flexibility, you want to go with the more comfortable size.

Proportionality - I have long arms for my height (1.5" ape factor). So I prefer a more roomy cockpit. Reach translates into the cockpit feel when in attack position and the effective top tube length is the cockpit feel when seated. I prefer a roomier cockpit feeling when climbing seated, so I'd go with the medium as my preferred ETT is ~ 600mm.

Riding Style / Preference / Terrain - What are you going to do with the bike? Racing? Trail riding? Training?

What's your riding style? Racer or trail rider? Smaller frame will lend itself more towards racer's that want an all out aero advantage (e.g. head down butt up position). Medium will be more stable on the descents and better for all around trail riding.

Lastly, terrain plays into sizing as well. Are your local trails wide open or real tight? Medium will have a longer wheelbase compared to the small. So more stable on the wide open stuff and slightly disadvantaged on the tight slow speed stuff.

If it was me, I'd go with the medium as historically Specialized as a brand runs small.

Here's a link to a 2018 Specialized sizing chart:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1kUR_YZchU5ZcwzUGhi-bk

It says you are a medium as well.

Get out a demo one to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the detail explanation. I have a small ape index, like a negative one. I bought a SMALL. Even with the stem slammed I barely have 1-2cm of saddle to bar drop. 70 STEM is fine, bike corners easily and rides technical terrain well. I think medium would have worked but would have been a mistake to pick it infront of small.

One thing I don't agree or don't get is the relation with ETT and seated position. I place my saddle 4cm setback. It won't matter what ETT or seat angle I have as long as it's at that position), I look at reach to know how roomy it will be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.