Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone is interested in this but figured some might be.

I just got an Epic Expert Evo a couple weeks ago and am about to start customizing and adding new parts.
This will not be a weight weenie build necessarily, but I will be lightening things up a good bit.
While adding parts i am also keeping capability in mind. I want a trail capable bike with some good high quality parts.

Current build is completely stock.
Spec is as follows:
Epic carbon frame
Fox 34 Stepcast 120mm
x-fusion dropper
gx eagle drivetrain
truvativ stylo aluminum cranks
phenom comp saddle
specialized aluminum 780mm bars
sram level TL brakes (160/180 rotors)
Carbon roval wheels with specialized hi/lo hubs
Fast Trak grid rear tire
Ground Control front tire

Bike is set up tubeless and without pedals was 26 pounds on the dot with sealant.
Pedals are crankbrothers candy 2 pedals that i've had for a few years now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First steps will be to add my Roval Control SL's that i had on my chisel.
Will be adding some new XT brakes and rotors, new bars and will be adding an X01 Eagle cassette to those control SL's.

Once those steps are done I will get an overall weight as well.
If anyone is interested i will try to get weights of each piece as I remove/install as well.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Bars will save a lot. The stock one is heavy.

My stock 720's were 315. I replaced with 720mm Next Carbon at 179 grams.

The level TL Brakes are pretty light. 259Front, 284Rear. Rotors were 253. I replaced mine with XTR 195F/202R Center lock XT rotors were 258.

So you may not save weight with XT, but you will have XT brakes rather than SRAM. I personally and not a fan of SRAM Brakes. I do like their drive train. I have stock drivetrain numbers, but only for 11spd.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bars will save a lot. The stock one is heavy.

My stock 720's were 315. I replaced with 720mm Next Carbon at 179 grams.

The level TL Brakes are pretty light. 259Front, 284Rear. Rotors were 253. I replaced mine with XTR 195F/202R Center lock XT rotors were 258.

So you may not save weight with XT, but you will have XT brakes rather than SRAM. I personally and not a fan of SRAM Brakes. I do like their drive train. I have stock drivetrain numbers, but only for 11spd.
Thats exactly the reason i'm going with XT wasn't really to save weight, but have brakes that i liked. Thought about some xtr trails, but went with the new XTs instead. Went with a 8120 for the front (4 piston) and an 8100 for the rear (2 piston) with the RT86 6 bolt rotors, 160 rear and 180 front.
The sram work fine so far, well for 2 rides lol) but they dont feel the way i'd like them to and i'm not a fan of the modulation either.

Bars I went with were Enve M6 low rise. I'll swap the grips to ESI Fit XC grips at the same time.

As for Sram drivetrains, i'm actually pretty pleased with the GX Eagle shifter/derailleur so far. I'll probably upgrade it later, but not for weight, just shift quality. But we shall see. I also have an X01 11 speed drivetrain if i decide i dont want or need EAgle.

Saddle is another thing that will be determined at a later date and even then, not a ton of weight to be saved there.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
my stock Saddle

Body Geometry Phenom Comp, Adaptive Edge design, Hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm = 263 grams.

And other than cassette GX vs X01 is less about weight and more about feel. Even GX to XX1 was only 25 grams. Carbon Crank arms are big savings however.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my stock Saddle

Body Geometry Phenom Comp, Adaptive Edge design, Hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm = 263 grams.

And other than cassette GX vs X01 is less about weight and more about feel. Even GX to XX1 was only 25 grams. Carbon Crank arms are big savings however.
Thats exactly what i'm potentially making the x01 move for, but we will see how the shifting lasts for a little while longer before we make that call.

I'll probably eventually get a lighter saddle, if i find a good deal on one and need to change from this phenom.

Also, Carbon cranks will be a change i'll probably make but i dont know exactly what i want yet. So it'll be a bit as well.
Maybe some lighter aluminum cranks? Not sure what would even be worth switching to.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a 19 expert, non-evo. swapped on an x01 cassette and the carbon stylo crank, hope brakes, and a DT 350 rear hub. I've been happy with the rest of the GX drivetrain so far after 800 miles.

edit... forgot, switched from the phenom to the power mimic saddle.. yes its a womens saddle, but has been proven to be super comfy.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I added several upgrades to the bike yesterday. I weighed most of them. Havent weighed the full bike just yet as i'm going to swap tires on my Control SL wheels since mine are worn.

I added the following:
XT 8100 series Brakes - 2 piston rear and 4 piston front
XT - RT86 rotors - 180 front and 160 rear
Control SL Wheels with previously mounted Fast Trak 2.3 tires
X01 Eagle 1295 Cassette
Enve M6 low rise bars - 780mm

I didnt weigh the actual brakes before installing but weighed the Sram Level TLs when they were removed and from what i can tell it should be almost a complete net Zero on the brake change as far as weight is concerned, once rotors and bolts are accounted for.
This was surprising and actually pretty cool considering the additional braking power and performance i added to the bike with less than a 20 gram weight difference (from what i can tell of the XT brakes from posted weights)

I put everything into a spreadsheet to keep track of weight changes
Stock wheels i have not weighed, just input the stock control carbon wheel weight and posted tire weights.

From what I can tell it should have dropped about 1.4 pounds from those changes. That's also based on the wheels weighing the same as the control carbons with DT350 hubs.

When i change tires i will weigh each of the wheelsets as well so we have actual data on the weigh

Text White Colorfulness Line Style

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part

Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be hunting for some Raceface Next SL cranks
I might just snag some carbon Sram cranks as i like the q factor they have. Wont save as much weight but if i can find some XO1 carbons, they're more trail/enduro oriented than the xx1 so that might be a good fit as well.

I know i can save a lot with a lighter dropper but i'm not sure i'm worried about that currently. This is my first dropper so i dont really know what there is to gain from a nicer dropper other than weight loss. This x fusion seems to work pretty well so far.

Also i am liking being back on a phenom saddle for now, so i might keep riding this one and then snag a carbon one when i get around to it. We will see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.