Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
LMAO, Flats and denim! I wish I could make it up there for this one, too much of a drive for me from the central coast though. Seems like a blast

·
Registered
187 Posts
I rode the 2011 fat tire festival and had a blast - been going up ever since. The state parks are all great for camping and and have hot showers. If the abalone moratorium is still in affect there may actually be available sites.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Abalone season on hold

I rode the 2011 fat tire festival and had a blast - been going up ever since. The state parks are all great for camping and and have hot showers. If the abalone moratorium is still in affect there may actually be available sites.
Another year of no abalone diving. This could be indefinite as the kelp beds are in disrepair. Purple urchins seem to be wiping out a lot of biomass.
So far this summer the average daily temps have been in the high 60's to low 70's with very little fog. Just got in from a solo Double Loop ride. Saw some runners, but no bikers on any of the trails.

Life is rough here...

Typical day so far:

Body of water Nature Coastal and oceanic landforms Sky Daytime

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caspar classic trail is open to ride!

I will be vacationing next week with my family in FT Bragg, is it possible to ride the race course? is the access point fairly well marked?

anyone want to ride?
The course is open. Only real impediment is a large redwood that has fallen across Jim's Trail. Be careful as it is a fast section leading to it.
None of the trail intersections are marked as Cal-Fire (JDSF) does not want trail signs. The guidebook has description for how to find each section. If you have never ridden here it is a good idea to have it. If you attempt to ride without a guidebook, the trail maps alone are not enough info to keep you out of trouble. Trailforks.com is a good app, but it too is not enough info.

Here is a map to get to trailhead:
Blue Yellow Green Red White

·
Registered
6 Posts
caspar race

The course is open. Only real impediment is a large redwood that has fallen across Jim's Trail. Be careful as it is a fast section leading to it.
None of the trail intersections are marked as Cal-Fire (JDSF) does not want trail signs. The guidebook has description for how to find each section. If you have never ridden here it is a good idea to have it. If you attempt to ride without a guidebook, the trail maps alone are not enough info to keep you out of trouble. Trailforks.com is a good app, but it too is not enough info.

View attachment 1269165
Thank you for that info. I'll grab the guidebook and see how long i can ride until i get lost.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Once again the Caspar Classic will be held for the 14th year on Saturday August 31st at 10AM.

View attachment 1265297
will there be any promotion or more information besides an unmaintained facebook page?
was interested last year, but seemed like a sketchy event to make the drive for. i even called the old promoter, whose number is/was still listed in places, lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will be vacationing next week with my family in FT Bragg, is it possible to ride the race course? is the access point fairly well marked?

anyone want to ride?
I just got back last night from our yearly week in Fort Bragg. First time bringing a MTB (1.5 years back into riding MTB). I rode the race course route by myself using trailforks and did not have too much trouble. Didn't get off track much.

Missed the 2ne half of Ride Thru Stump as turned out when I should not have. The trail I should have kept going on I thought was going to loopback on it self. The more fun trails were actually near the road oddly enough. I felt the loop out from Jim's Trail to the Maze etc was skippable just old skid roads, so if you are looking to cut time. EZN was the best trail, wish that went on forever. I had a bear cub shoot across the road right in front of me on the fireroad back to the truck, barely avoided it because I was going fast downhill and didn't notice it till it was pretty close to right out in front of me.

Picked up Roo's book at Catch a Canoe after the fact. Nice book. Already planning for next years ride.

Mendocino HS pump track was fun for my son, just learned to pedal at the end of our trip. Track felt pretty small on my trail bike, so that made it challenging but still fun for me. We spun laps for a little while and he dug in the dirt for a bit.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Poster child

will there be any promotion or more information besides an unmaintained facebook page?
was interested last year, but seemed like a sketchy event to make the drive for. i even called the old promoter, whose number is/was still listed in places, lol.
I wish I could be more helpful. I only do the posters and registration every year and wish those who have taken it over to start promoting sooner than later. Unfortunately, it falls on deaf ears with the organizers who are also overwhelmed with their real jobs and families to be able to focus on the Caspar Classic every year.

But, that being said, it is a very fun race course overall. It is well attended, gets off on time with good timing equipment from Bike Monkey. We have always gotten some ringers in the past who will kick most mortal asses all around the redwoods. Gabe Cheese always comes, Brian Astell, Kevin Smallman, Charlie Schneider and even the uber-fahrer Baron: Matthias Behrends have won a few races here.

So, If your looking for coolish weather (60°) in paradise among tall Redwoods with even a new brew pub, then come for the weekend. If you absolutely hate it here, I'll buy you a beverage at Piaci's!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tree has been removed!

View attachment 1269165
Tree is now gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just rode the classic course today with a downloaded map from Trailforks. GPS on my phone worked perfect and also the trail was marked pretty well. I didn't see any downed tree on the course anywhere. whenever i came up to a trail junction, i just checked the GPS and away i went!
I'm from Chico and this is paradise! 60 degrees and dirt! i am so tired of riding all the lava in Upper Bidwell Park in 95 degree weather.
Course was fast and smooth, a couple of sections of climbing. the only drawback is the last section of the logging road back to the start but during the race one would appreciate not having to intersect with other riders coming at you.
Maybe I'm in my honeymoon stage with the course, but i loved and would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elevation Chart

Can someone post a link to their Strava ride? Id like to see the elevation profile. Thanks in advance.
Vedson,

Happy to supply you and others who are considering the "Best Little Coastal Race" with 60° temps in the big trees. Below is my elevation chart for the 2019 Caspar Classic. Coming off of Shithole Tr., 3 Post is the hardest sustained climb into Beer Joint (approx. 0.60 miles). Sorry, no more beer there! The Treefrigerator is empty!

As I do not use Strava, I am providing a GPS elevation. Hope this helps.

Green Blue Yellow Slope Text

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This year's trophies

Can someone post a link to their Strava ride? Id like to see the elevation profile. Thanks in advance.
This year's trophies are a unique idea that Marc Jensen has created. They are 3-D computer generated elevation model of the Caspar Classic race course. Marc made me one of "Hole in the Ground". Looking forward to seeing his genius idea for this year's class winners!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.