Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience servicing the linkage bearings on the Scalpel?
When I try to remove the middle and lower pivot/axle, instead of them unscrewing
and pulling out, they spread the swingarm and won't release. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
A little heat can help, guessing it's binding on the other side of the link, perhaps a little lube dripped in there will help get things moving. Also make sure the shock is removed, rotate teh linkage to see if you can get the pivot bolt to find it's happy place.

It's not a Cannondale only thing, tight tolerances are needed to keep things from clunking. Also make sure any expansion wedges are removed.
Font Auto part Cylinder Automotive wheel system Bicycle part

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wedges are out and I did start with dripping Triflow then hit it with WD40. It's a carbon link, can't really heat that. Heating the pivot would expand that making it tighter. I'm probably going to have to take it in, ugh. I'm gonna try 1 more time and see if there's a way to tap it loose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got it apart. I used a tapered drift and used a lot of pushing pressure on the threaded end while unscrewing the pivot. The inner bearing races had slightly rusted enough to cause them to stick. Removed, cleaned and repacked. Used lots of grease on pivots and wedges. Ready to ride

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.