Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I know this has been asked before, I’m just about to do a search - tires, any suggestions? I seem to recall reading tires with good sidewall protection.

Riding a 2019 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 and have a set of Atomik Carbon rims 33mm outer/26mm inner width.

Coming from flat land Toronto Ontario Canada, highest climb at my local trails is a whopping 323’! Haha!!! Can we say O2 deficit!! I’ll be the one with the scuba tank strapped to my back!

D

·
1,534 Posts
I know this has been asked before, I'm just about to do a search - tires, any suggestions? I seem to recall reading tires with good sidewall protection.
I don't think the course has that many sharp rocks, in comparison to most other 50/100 courses.

Certainly trying to ride a super thin lightweight XC race tire is gonna be playing with fire in any single track, high altitude, CO race.

Maxxis Ikon's or Ardent has served me well, including in this one and the FC50, which uses some of the same trails.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't think the course has that many sharp rocks, in comparison to most other 50/100 courses.

Certainly trying to ride a super thin lightweight XC race tire is gonna be playing with fire in any single track, high altitude, CO race.

Maxxis Ikon's or Ardent has served me well, including in this one and the FC50, which uses some of the same trails.
Thanks Timon, I have a set of Ardent Race's on the those rims right now, will look around for some Ardent's which is what I was starting to think of using.

D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most of the course is tire friendly but the parts that aren't, aren't. I did it the last two years on Racing Ralphs and I only had one incident but it was costly time wise. Won't do that again, no hall pass this year but I hope to return in '20 and I'll be on Maxxis rubber in the 700-750 gram range.

·
Registered
318 Posts
completely unsubstantiated but I've heard rumor of a reroute...

For the 100, I'm curious to see if the path between Copper and Frisco is finished. Haven't spent much time lately but I'd heard they were targeting early July...???
Yea they might reroute down Miners part of the CT to peaks like they did in Epic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1,328 Posts
small update on the copper/frisco bikepath

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/su...-avalanche-season-vail-pass-recpath-now-open/

I expect it to be done by the 4th but if not, I can't imagine a reroute up/over Miners Creek would be clear based on webcams from peak 6. We'll see...

Also, they've been shoveling Little French for the past week or so (not non-stop mind you) for the Firecracker so it should be pretty good for the weekend of the 13th

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just placed the order for my tires:
Vittoria Barzo XC Trail for the front
Vittoria Mezcal XC Trail for the rear

With my luck everything I special order is never in stock, hopefully I get them in the next week or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most of the course is tire friendly but the parts that aren't, aren't. I did it the last two years on Racing Ralphs and I only had one incident but it was costly time wise. Won't do that again, no hall pass this year but I hope to return in '20 and I'll be on Maxxis rubber in the 700-750 gram range.
Edit: I'm a numbnut. I haven't done the Breck 100 since '07 or '08 or so. I did the Breck Epic the last two years which does share some terrain but whatever, wrong post/wrong thread. Good luck OP.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If any of y'all are bummed about no Breck 100 and don't know what to do with your fitness, check out the Telluride 100. The race promoters were also dealing with a difficult decision due to the snow, but instead of cancelling have rerouted the course.

Overall less climbing (12,000ft versus 16,000ft), no epic hike a bike over Black Bear, but still a nice route over some burly jeep roads and some great singletrack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.