Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to canvas opinions here, as to whether this is a me issue, or an everyone issue.

All Factory Grip2 model forks, which have been either 160 or 170mm travel.

I've had 2 replacement forks in the last 12 months and this last set has just started that annoying cracking sound again. For what it's worth, the fork is just 8 weeks old.

These are on my big race bike, which does get used hard. Currently its 10 days into a Whistler trip & there isn't much I wont shy away from and in pretty smooth on the jumps, never slapping the front end down, yet its creaking again & it drives me nuts.

Is this just an issue with longer travel big SC forks that are probably a bit too light? Never had this issue with the 150mm 29er 36 on my other bike, but this one is eating forks.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else I can do :(

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
It's a light press-fit. Some of them were greased which keeps them quiet until the grease gets pushed out. New CSU just restarts the clock.

The fix is to take them apart and bond them back together. Not a DIY proposition. But if done properly is a permanent repair.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I have an OG lyrik that started creaking on a Sedona trip. I used the locktite trick in a hotel room, along with a hair drier and some ice. 5 years and several thousand miles later it's still going strong.

...but my impression is that that solution doesn't usually work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.