Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to potentially upgrade my DPX2 to a X2 on my HD4. Found a used 18 X2 that is priced pretty well. I know there was some air can changes on the 19 model that allows it to handle more pressure for heavier riders but what else changed? Is the new air spring on the 19 model part of what the makes the new X2 feel more "coil like" compared to a DPX2 or is just capable of handling more pressure? Any other reasons changes that make it worthwhile to pay more for the 19 model?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looking to potentially upgrade my DPX2 to a X2 on my HD4. Found a used 18 X2 that is priced pretty well. I know there was some air can changes on the 19 model that allows it to handle more pressure for heavier riders but what else changed? Is the new air spring on the 19 model part of what the makes the new X2 feel more "coil like" compared to a DPX2 or is just capable of handling more pressure? Any other reasons changes that make it worthwhile to pay more for the 19 model?
https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=floatx2

First 3 bullet points look like the only change..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that but I am still wondering if their is a benefit to the new air sleeve outside of just handling more pressure. I am 170-180 geared up depending on the ride so I will be under 200 PSI.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,669 Posts
Each size of X2 had different changes. The more mature sizes only changed to a stronger can. The Ripmo sized X2 had a complete air can rework. So much so that the 2019 is significantly better.
They only way to know for sure is to have both shocks in your hand at the same time.

No changes where made internally. Damping and seals are all identical.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each size of X2 had different changes. The more mature sizes only changed to a stronger can. The Ripmo sized X2 had a complete air can rework. So much so that the 2019 is significantly better.
They only way to know for sure is to have both shocks in your hand at the same time.

No changes where made internally. Damping and seals are all identical.
So, seeing as my bike uses an old school 7.875x2.25 shock it most likely just got the stronger sleeve?

Any idea if the bottom out bumper is anything more than a rubber/foam bumper on the shaft?

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,669 Posts
So, seeing as my bike uses an old school 7.875x2.25 shock it most likely just got the stronger sleeve?

Any idea if the bottom out bumper is anything more than a rubber/foam bumper on the shaft?
Bottom out bumper is just that. It may also be compressible by air pressure increasing air volume and reducing ramp up at bottom out too. Kind of like Formula's compressible Neopos spacers. This is a small difference.
If you want to use more spacers for extra progression on the big hits or are near the max PSI then get the 2019. Otherwise the performance should be almost identical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.