Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit I'm being selfish and don't want this to be just another post in a longer Unit thread. My apologies.

Short story, I need shorter cranks. My 18 Unit X has 175mm SRAM NX (stock) and I need 165.

So I have two questions.

First question: Does anyone know if it's possible to find a set of these 165mm cranks to simply swap out? The stock BB is the Power Spline. I cannot find any (including SRAM's website) to fit that BB. I wrote to Kona also, so we'll see if they have any idea. A friend with decades' of experience says I'm probably won't find them.

Alternatively, I can switch the BB out also. That's technically pretty easy. However, every BB I find has external cups (I think that's the right term--the part that sticks out of the BB shell), whereas the Power Spline is flush with the BB shell (internal cups?)with only the spindle sticking out. Therefore, the chainline would be off, with the front chain ring no longer in a straight line with the center of the cassette.

Second question: Does the chainline make that big of a difference?

thanks

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
No I don’t think the chain line will be off at all. Just get a new crank and bottom bracket. The cranks made to be used with an external bearing bottom bracket still have the same chainline based on 1x, 2x, 3x.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.