Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just a few rides headset bearings in my spectral started to feel harsh and one day before a ride I was not able to move the handlebars at all.

I took it all apart and it looks like its a design with cups pressed into a frame but bearings presses into cups not dropi-in bearings so it as hard to replace as it can be. Its all badly sealed and rusted.

Obviously I don't want any of that Acros crap anymore and it would be best to just replace the whole headset with cups but I'm not sure what will fit. There is zero information about what headset is used in the bike on canyon web page, in the bike instruction, there is no part number or a name on the headset unit etc.

Looks like this is designed to fail prematurely and force users to buy replacements from canyon.

I have a few questions:

1. What replacement headset can I use if any?
2. Is it possible to replace just the bearings without the cups?
3. If so what is the height of the lower/upper bearing? Is it 7mm?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried to remove the bearing from the cup today but with no luck. This is how its constructed:

Line Parallel Computer monitor accessory Rectangle Output device

A and B is a bearing.
C is a cup.
D is a frame.

If you try to tap on the A piece of the bearing than it will separate from B and fall of. There is no lip on the B that sticks out of the cup so it looks like this bearing cannot be separated from the cup.

I just hope that some other headset will fit but I'm still not able to get any info on what it mounted there and what dimensions it has.

I contacted canyon with online form and got no replay. I called them and nobody picks up the phone.. maybe their are busy designing the next generation headset..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Michal, was just tearing down my headset today to inspect/regrease on my 2018 spectral al 6.0 and ran into the same issue. My lower bearing is a little stiff, and I'm starting to wonder where I will go from here. Can you share what you figured out and what Canyon finally told you (if they ever did...)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem with my Spectral Al6 2019. I found my top bearing almost siezed and very rusty and Canyon suggested I try to remove it by tapping it out using a hammer and a flat head screwdriver and they would send me new bearings under warranty.
This resulted in the bearing splitting into two parts with the outer part still stuck in the headset cup. If anyone managed to get the whole bearing out from the plastic cup any advice would be great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with my Spectral Al6 2019. I found my top bearing almost siezed and very rusty and Canyon suggested I try to remove it by tapping it out using a hammer and a flat head screwdriver and they would send me new bearings under warranty.
This resulted in the bearing splitting into two parts with the outer part still stuck in the headset cup. If anyone managed to get the whole bearing out from the plastic cup any advice would be great.
By your name, i´ll figure you as well are from Norway. I purchased this nugget: https://www.bikester.no/bbb-cupout-btl-114-sykkelverktoy-254mm-solv-745568.html

Slide it from the opposite side of the cup you want removed, in such a manner that the ´prongs´hit the backside of the cup. Proceed to smash the other end with a mallet :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contacted Canyon and got the specs to change the entire setup: Cane Creek 1 1/8 ZS44 / ZS56.
I´m changing the whole thing. Original bearings seized after half a season..
Are those your new headset parts or the original ones that are mounted on your bike? On mine (Al6 2019) it's an Across headset but it should be the same dimensions. Please let me know how the exchange went since I will be interested in upgrading my headset as well. I'd prefer one where the bearings can be removed without involving a full body workout...

·
Registered
6 Posts
By your name, i´ll figure you as well are from Norway. I purchased this nugget: https://www.bikester.no/bbb-cupout-btl-114-sykkelverktoy-254mm-solv-745568.html

Slide it from the opposite side of the cup you want removed, in such a manner that the ´prongs´hit the backside of the cup. Proceed to smash the other end with a mallet :)
Good luck!
Close, but I'm from Sweden.
That's a good suggestion! I actually bought that exact tool last week and used it to remove my BB. I'll try it on the headset as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are those your new headset parts or the original ones that are mounted on your bike? On mine (Al6 2019) it's an Across headset but it should be the same dimensions. Please let me know how the exchange went since I will be interested in upgrading my headset as well. I'd prefer one where the bearings can be removed without involving a full body workout...
Those are not the original (Acros) parts, but quality Cane Creek Forty's, with removable bearings. They're in the mail now, so hopefully i'll get them swapped this week. Can let you know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got the old cups out. Havent put the cane creeks in, but measured it all up and it seems to fit. What I can say though is that the weather sealing is sooo superior on the cane creek forty´s! Spend the cash!!
Iron Metal Composite material Gas Steel

Finger Green Light Aqua Nail

·
Registered
5 Posts
So easy - i got a threaded 12mm rod and two plates/huge washers with nuts on either side. The lip of the cup sits on top of the frame, so no need for precision there. First I tried to 3D print guides to keep the rod centered in the headset for an even fit. This didnt pan out on the first go, but it worked fine without it. Fairly easy really. Then I dropped the bearings in after putting heaps of grease on there. Could also use the original crown race, which simplified it a lot :)

Let me know if you have any questions of difficulties - happy to share from my experience :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi did you have any luck with this as i have same issue on my 2020 model spectral

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi did you have any luck with this as i have same issue on my 2020 model spectral
I first got the bearing replaced by Canyon under warranty. However, I did not like the fact that the bearings could not be easily removed so I ordered a new headset (nukeproof horizon) and replaced the cups myself. To do this you need a headset/bottom bracket removal tool and a headset press. The process was quite straight forward but quite a lot of force was needed to get the cups out of the frame.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.