Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m just about to get a 18 model alloy smuggler frame second hand and was wondering if any of you are using them with normal 51mm off set forks as apposed to the 37 is it off set.
How you finding it if you are?
Carl.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just rode buddies sentienel with 51 offset.

It works fine. Initiates corners easier - lighter feel at the bars. Feels far slacker than with 44 offset fork.

I like the 44, and may even try 36 if i get frisky.

But if money isnt raining down on you right now the 51 will work. The sentinel with 51 didnt feel night and day different from mine with 44 and when you hit it big they “should” still make shorter offset forks.

.... unless all forks go to the trust design in which case you can have mine cause Ive quit riding mountain bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've got a 2019 36 at 150 (44mm Offset) on my 2018 Carbon Smuggler. It's a great fit for this frame and a big step up from the 140mm 34.

·
smartass
698 Posts
I've never ridden a bike with a reduced offset fork. I put my 51mm offset DVO Topaz on my Smuggler when I had it and it rode completely normal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s all great to know as it’s a 51mm that I’ve got and once the longer shaft is fitted is going on 😁
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The 51mm forks will work fine, but you won't get the designed benefits of SBG.

I had a hard time finding the fork I wanted in 44mm and ran a 51mm for a while, but the bike lost the seamless transition in and out of turns that a reduced offset fork provides. It's subtle but in my opinion worth the cost and effort.

Post Pics!

IMG_4279.jpg

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The biggest difference between the two offsets is how neutral and light the handling is with the shorter offset. There's no flop node at any point in the steering. I highly recommend trying both out if you're interested in feeling the difference yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts