Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did full service (50hr and 200hr) on my 2018 Yari 160 (Solo Air / Motion Control) for the first time. It was still performing OK but was way overdue for service. This fork came on bike and its been pounded by my 220lb arse for 1.5 years and more than 2000 miles (over 400 hours). There's a fair amount of stream crossings and mucky wet areas around here so bike is often a mess following a ride. I'm far from anal about cleaning but I do try to keep fork tubes clean and occasionally squirt seals with silicone spray.

Parts
- Service kit $50 on-line
- Damper oil (180ml / 5wt) Maxima fork oil @ motorcycle shop $6/qt
- Lower fork oil (10ml/side / 0-30 engine oil)...Auto parts store $6/qt
- Fork grease...Had some Judy Butter kicking around
- Squirt bottle of Alcohol from local drug store $3
- Guidance on-line from SRAM/Rockshox website is great and provides all tools/materials needed. Took my time and ensure everything was properly cleaned, replaced, lubricated, torqued per instructions.

Special tools:
I have a ton of tools from years of doing all my auto, motorcycle mntc. One tool I was lucky to have was a 'splined' cassette socket which is needed to remove the air spring top cap. Luckily I had one of these in my old $50 bike repair tool kit.

I didn't have the dust wiper seal installation tool which is just a plastic cylinder used to press the new seals into the fork housing. I used a large socket that was close to correct diameter to ensure seals were properly installed.

Inspection revealed everything was in great shape...just the foam oil rings were dirty. I was surprised how clean/clear the oil was that drained from damper. Fork tube coating and internal bushings are in great shape. I can't imagine needing to do a 'lower' service every 50hrs, and the 200hr also seems like overkill but that's what is recommended.

I cleaned/flushed headset bearings, applied some Marine grease and re-used but will definitely get a new headset for next time.

TOKENS...decided to try something different:
This fork comes with 2 tokens installed and accepts up to 5. I'm about 220lbs and after a few rides the happy spot for me was 30% sag and that's where it stayed all this time. I ride New England XC singletrack much of which is tight and technical so it was a happy medium between having compression soft enough to absorb all the bone around here and living with a little lower clearance.

Based on some research I decided to remove one token and increase pressure to reduce sag and see if I can still get the compression I desire. I increased air pressure by about 15psi to get sag around 20-25%. As soon as I hit the first rock garden I knew it was too harsh. I burped out about 5psi and it was much better. Did a typical 10 mile loop yesterday and hit plenty of rough terrain but I still had some travel left at end of ride. I do many rides with bigger hit's so this will be fine and I think I've gained a bit more clearance with this setup.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about doing some upgrades while I was in there...

I've read much of the 'SuperYari' thread but I just can't justify $200-300+ for damper upgrades. I'm sure it's an improvement but right out of the gate this bike and the fork it came with are lightyears better than anything I've had in 30 years of riding. In stock form it's not holding me back from enjoying every ride which is kind of why I do this.

But a $40 upgrade may be worth considering...what was main benefit you saw from upgrade to DebonAir?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The newer spring is more supple off the top and has a more linear mid stroke, and has much less stiction. Speaking firsthand, it's a very nice upgrade on a Yari.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The newer spring is more supple off the top and has a more linear mid stroke, and has much less stiction. Speaking firsthand, it's a very nice upgrade on a Yari.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks...gonna look into it!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since it is a MY2018 fork, shouldn't it already have DebonAir spring? OP, should be written on the stanchion leg up by the crown. If not, then definitely a good upgrade or you could try something like the Vorspung Luftkappe (about the same price) since you are not planning on increasing/decreasing travel.
This 160mm Yari came on 2018 Kona 153 AL/DL...I didn't think it was Debonair. Shock markings say 'MotionControl' and 'SoloAir'. No mention of Debonair. Funny thing is, when I punch in serial # in RockShox 'Trailhead App' it lists 'Debonair' under air spring.

Looking at various service manuals and pictures they have, the NEW Debonair has a red aluminum head and mine is black (can be seen at bottom of air side shock where snap-ring is). Maybe I have old Debonair? Reading about newer version of Debonair the tube is hollow which provides more Negative Air volume over the 'old' Debonair.
Assuming I have 'old' version of Debonair, Is this a worthy difference to pursue upgrading?

·
Registered
333 Posts
This 160mm Yari came on 2018 Kona 153 AL/DL...I didn't think it was Debonair. Shock markings say 'MotionControl' and 'SoloAir'. No mention of Debonair. Funny thing is, when I punch in serial # in RockShox 'Trailhead App' it lists 'Debonair' under air spring.

Looking at various service manuals and pictures they have, the NEW Debonair has a red aluminum head and mine is black (can be seen at bottom of air side shock where snap-ring is). Maybe I have old Debonair? Reading about newer version of Debonair the tube is hollow which provides more Negative Air volume over the 'old' Debonair.
Assuming I have 'old' version of Debonair, Is this a worthy difference to pursue upgrading?
Yes

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Bumping this because I have a few questions if you don't mind.

I've got a 2018 Rockshox Yari on my 2018 Kona Process 153 AL 29'r. The spec for the bike said it came with a soloair yari, but when I look it up on the rockshox website, it says its a debonair. I haven't opened it up yet to see what color the air spring is yet.

Did you end up replacing yours, and if so, did it look/feel any different with the "new" debonair?

I'm not sure on the actual number of hours on it at the moment. My GPS shows that I've got ~200-250 miles (some rides it wasn't tracking the whole time, etc) on it. But this winter while I've got some time on my hands, I was going to give it a service, and I could throw in a different air spring if needed.

I'm curious which service kit you used, and which parts you ended up using? The only service kit I've seen just looks like it has foam rings, dust seals, an then various washers and orings. I've seen some people saying that the they are able to reuse the foam rings/dust seals/etc. I'm just not sure if there are any parts that I must replace, or if its more about the condition of each of these components.

Other than that, I see that you can also purchase foam rings/dust seals separately (for much less), and I wonder if that's a good way to go.

The actual process itself looks pretty straightforward, and other than the kit its pretty cheap. Just curious what I actually need to buy, as while the fork is a year old, I don't have that many miles on it.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.