Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1261 - 1272 of 1272 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Largest water bottle/bottle cage for '18 BC Edition

Anyone know the best bottle cage that can hold the largest bottle 16oz or over maybe on the Instinct BC Edition '18 model? I've got a DPX2 and the cage I have along with my Camelback big chill 25oz doesn't quite fit so I want to try a new Lezyne or similar bottle cage that will hold my current 25oz bottle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Replying to Rondinko's message on 8/11/20

I've seen a number of people here in the Asheville/Pisgah area with the Cane Creek CS Coil but hesitant to try due to my size (6'1 300lb).

I'm running a DPX2 and a Fox 36 Factory set up as a "NC Edition" with 160front/145rear but was told by Rocky not to use any other pf the Ride 9 settings; dealer never mentioned this of course.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't know if this had happened to anyone else, but my rear triangle broke recently:
View attachment 1319623

I had a bike shop to service it under warranty, no major issues. However I expected a decent price for upgrading to carbon. The LBS charged me $780 for the upgrade, including the discount of the aluminum parts to be warrantied. The difference between the C50 and C70 is ~1000 USD, and difference in build packages are the rear triangle, brakes and drivetrain (SLX level x XT level, sometimes Shimano, sometimes SRAM). I calculated the price of the replacement of the rear triangle in ~724 USD, not counting the discount for replacement.

Honestly I don't like much parts in cast aluminum in bikes, but may just be me. But a Slayer broke during test for Pinkbike, in the same region (also aluminum rear triangle):
Field Test: 2020 Rocky Mountain Slayer Carbon 90 - The One That Broke - Pinkbike

This is not to trash Rocky Mountain. The bike is still great, but I expected less for the upgrade. Emailed them directly about the price, but got no response in two weeks. And, of course, this post is to set historical data on failure of the rear triangle.
Still posting to keep track of the issues. My second seat stay is cracking too, about 10 months after the first broke apart. Going back to the LBS for another few weeks without a bike, oh well. Tried to talk to Rocky on the phone, but could only leave a message.

I guess that's it. No more RM for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Still posting to keep track of the issues. My second seat stay is cracking too, about 10 months after the first broke apart. Going back to the LBS for another few weeks without a bike, oh well. Tried to talk to Rocky on the phone, but could only leave a message.

View attachment 1912300
Sorry to hear.
Glad that you caught it before it separated.

I was previously of the understanding that in spite of the price bump you had decided to go for the Carbon rear triangle, but it appears that you didn't. How is the carbon triangle constructed in that area?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry to hear.
Glad that you caught it before it separated.

I was previously of the understanding that in spite of the price bump you had decided to go for the Carbon rear triangle, but it appears that you didn't. How is the carbon triangle constructed in that area?
The carbon part also has aluminum ends, so wouldn't be much better.

My theory is that the issue is not much due to impact, as I'm as smooth as I can be. But I'm heavy and I pedal very heavy as well. Then I believe the low cycle stress of pedaling is what is causing fatigue in that area. I'd suggest RM to use a tongue-and-groove approach in that area for newer models, but couldn't even talk to anyone.

Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone ever reduce the travel, reverse BC? Something like 120/120? Being thinking of switching to a Transition Spur, but i already own this bike and its built up relatively light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a DVO Topaz for the Instinct. Anyone know what bushings are needed for install? Already purchased Rocky's bearing eyelet hardware for the lowers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone tried out an Angle Headset? I BC'd my Instinct so it's at 65.9 but all the cool kids have 64deg head angles these days.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Angleset is not installed but I own it. I got the Cane Creek one with multiple options. I can't really see a downside on this bike which was never that slack to begin with.

·
Registered
375 Posts

View attachment 1912300
Turned out not too bad. After a number of emails with Rocky, they decided to upgrade my rear triangle to carbon without cost (they first offered only the seat stay, that would not fit the aluminum chain stay). Most of it is actually carbon fiber, so there's a good chance that it will work.

But at the LBS they messed up with the shock pressure, so now I have a shock with too much pressure on the negative chamber, and will need to disassemble the shock to fix it. Tried to extend the shock fully (as Fox recommends) but with the maximum pressure of my pump, I couldn't get there. Now I'm waiting for tools to disassemble the shock.

1261 - 1272 of 1272 Posts