Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1272 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I couldn't say. I think if you're pumping into the bike with a good amount of your weight, 60% doesnt seem crazy. Is it constant, or do you just sort of notice that its 60% after rolling along for a bit?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No pumping. It uses about 60% of travel when I casually, slow roll over a speed bump (not a thin abrupt one either). 240psi for my 180lbs with 5 clicks of LSC from closed. Sag is right about 16mm for the 210x55mm shock...so about 30%. I guess I could keep just jacking more air into it...maybe yank the spacers entirely too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think removing spacers would not make you use less travel. Spacers control the progression / ramp-up and don't have as much effect on the initial stroke.

https://mrblackmorescorner.blogspot.com/2017/10/intense-carbine-vs-rocky-mountain.html

Notice the anti-squat and anti-rise curves of the Instinct. The anti-squat numbers are not huge for the 50 tooth ring, and are even flatter in the 10 tooth cog. This could mean pedaling in an intermediate gear and going through rollers and small bumps pushes more readily into the mid-stroke than ideal. Also notice that the anti-rise in the Rocky actually drops off fairly steeply after the sag point. So its possible in rollers, without enough LSC you're pushing through some of the travel before you get into the support provided by the ramp up curve and the fairly progressive linkage design. Maybe try keeping the spacers you have and shooting closer to 20-25 percent sag and a big more LSC? But if the rear feels good, gives good support and traction, and handles big hits without harsh bottom outs, sounds like its probably fine.

In truth, I'm no expert just going off my engineering / nerd background and arm-chair reading know-how. Btw, I reached out to you on PB about the Float X2 etc,. I'll let you know if that thing wallows like a sonnova-gun given how linear it is compared with your DPX2.

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
No pumping. It uses about 60% of travel when I casually, slow roll over a speed bump (not a thin abrupt one either). 240psi for my 180lbs with 5 clicks of LSC from closed. Sag is right about 16mm for the 210x55mm shock...so about 30%. I guess I could keep just jacking more air into it...maybe yank the spacers entirely too.
whats sort of riding do you do most and what sort of suspension feel are you after? sounds like a candidate for a larger volume spacer to me. My suggestion would be go up a volume spacer size, and unless you're mainly descending, try 27% sag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If a single speed bump is doing that to your suspension at slow speed, that sounds like too little LSC and maybe not enough air. Try 5-10 psi more and a little more lsc to resist slow compression in the first two thirds of the stroke.

Take my internet advice with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm riding a bit of everything aside from anything super gnarly. Adding more air might just be the ticket (I've heard removing the spacers could help it not be too harsh deeper into the travel and that they don't have much of an impact on the mid-stroke support).

Nevertheless, I also found an old PB article where Mike setup the DPX2 that I have (or close to). He is 160lbs and was running 220PSI on an active bike. I'm guessing its just PSI I need for now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello. I got a great deal on 2019 Instinct BC frame. I finished building it a couple weeks ago, and have been riding it almost everyday. So far, I love it!!
IMG_0901.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Question to all Instinct BC owners - do you get full travel out of the rear?

I can literally huck to flat from a drop (1,7m) and I won‘t use more that 58mm of the 63mm stroke of the DPX2 shock.

Sag is set 35% as recommended by Rocky for the BC Edition.

Rear suspension feels great though I don‘t mind not using full travel. But I really wonder if anyone does use it?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Question to all Instinct BC owners - do you get full travel out of the rear?

I can literally huck to flat from a drop (1,7m) and I won‘t use more that 58mm of the 63mm stroke of the DPX2 shock.

Sag is set 35% as recommended by Rocky for the BC Edition.

Rear suspension feels great though I don‘t mind not using full travel. But I really wonder if anyone does use it?
I have the 140mm version with DPX2. I reached out to Avalanch to see what their perspective was. They said that the BC edition (and mine to an extent) has a really high leverage curve in the beginning and is super progressive in the end (based on their charts). He said that the bike was fairly ideal for a coil shock, but not necessarily an air shock and that they had some options that would work well.

I've had good results based on some feedback by another guy on here. I yanked the spacer entirely (the progressive suspension kind of has it built in a bit sorta) and then added some extra PSI. In theory this helps ease the progressiveness of the end stroke, boost the mid-stroke a bit (extra air) and is still soft off the top (horst link + high leverage suspension). So far its worked well, is pedaling better (was already good) and seems great over the chunder while having some for sure. I have the factory DPX2 with LSC adjuster.

Fwiw you should try out the settings from Yeti's shock guide for their SB140 bike. Its runs a DPX2 stock with zero spacers.

Right now my 210x55 is running 240psi (I'm 185lbs), LSC 5 clicks in from closed and the LSR rebound at 3 clicks from open (slightly faster than Yeti...I saw Thomas Vanderham say that the bike likes faster rebound).

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I just got back from LBS, owner tells me when they built the bike the welds weren't hot enough and "could" get stress fractures and fail. I have a 2018 Instinct A50 and they told me I drop bike off they take pictures of serial # then I wait 4-8 weeks for a replacement front triangle. I have the O.D. green frame and what he told me is they won't color match the new frame, going to do a neutral color. WHAT? This way LBS's will know the color of replaced frames. I am waiting this one our until Nov-Dec. As I was pulling out of the parking lot a dude was wheeling his 2020 Instinct in and I was talking to him, he told me they were replacing his frame right then and upgrading to Carbon, thats alot different from what the owner just told me. So I am waiting this one out to see the facts.
My local shop told me the same but to be more specific...2020 frames will be replaced with carbon everyone else is getting the aluminum frame
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you for reply.
How hard it is for you to bottom out?
I know I can get it to the bumpstop but I'm not sure how much further it gets. I've never felt any sort of bottom out. The travel just feels endless. I would say I could go with a lighter spring but wouldn't know without trying one.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I know I can get it to the bumpstop but I'm not sure how much further it gets. I've never felt any sort of bottom out. The travel just feels endless. I would say I could go with a lighter spring but wouldn't know without trying one.
How does the bike pedal with the Coil vs an air shock? Is the bike insanely better with the coil vs air? Avalanche basically told me the bike was designed to work best with a coil based on the suspension curve etc. I've never ridden a coil tho.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find it better in ever aspect with the coil. I've got a cane creek dB Cs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In regards to the recall has anyone received their bike back with the new aluminum frame?
Supposedly they are in the process of releasing to dealers.
Recall should have been its own thread unless I missed it
Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Picking mine up tonight. Dropped the bike off the other day seen the frame. With post a pic tonight I had the matte green see how it looks.

1221 - 1240 of 1272 Posts