Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1272 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is gonna be a new design for the Instinct coming up? I wanted to get the 2017 970msl because of the great build t has, but I personally don't like the color scheme of that or the BC edition. And might as well wait for the new ones, specially if there is a new design coming up, based on how it is the oldest frame they have at the moment?

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
A number of people have had the "be patient" reponse to the question if there's something bigger & badder coming around for next year, so the answer is very likely a yes. I'd think basically a 29" version of an Altitude.

(I'll wait for it, too. Spoke to the dealer yesterday and apparently the carbon size L Altitudes on my side of the pond are already spoken for...pre-orders only apparently. Gotta love those distributors).

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
It makes sense, it took about 3 years to transition everything to the ABC bushings, so it will likely take about 3 years to transition everything to the new bearing designs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't mind the 140 front/130 rear but would also be cool to see a 'LT' version with 160 front/140 rear. Would also be even cooler if RM surprised us with a June/July announcement of a new Instinct, rather than having to wait another 9 months or so. The new Altitudes look awesome (and ideally suited to my local trails on Sydney's Northern Beaches) but i reckon an Instinct would be enough bike for this 'old guy'. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mind the 140 front/130 rear but would also be cool to see a 'LT' version with 160 front/140 rear. Would also be even cooler if RM surprised us with a June/July announcement of a new Instinct, rather than having to wait another 9 months or so. The new Altitudes look awesome (and ideally suited to my local trails on Sydney's Northern Beaches) but i reckon an Instinct would be enough bike for this 'old guy'. :)
Would they not release it for the August/September annual bike announcement with all the rest? Kind of like how the Element was last year?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would it be a Fall release or have to wait till a mid year release next year round?

·
Registered
490 Posts
140/130 was good but most of the competition now is 150/140. If the travel is the same, I'm not sure I would get another one. I love my instinct but there is a lot of good competition now with a bit more travel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep, i agree there are some very sweet 150/140 29ers around now. Anyway, will just have to wait and see i guess; either way i reckon it will be top of my shopping list! :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Would they not release it for the August/September annual bike announcement with all the rest? Kind of like how the Element was last year?
Well, they didn't use this approach on the Slayer or the Altitude so don't go by the eurobike date.

If the Instinct revision is ready to be announced by this August, it would mean their Rocky eurobike booth would have 3 new bikes to show that weren't in the previous eurobike (Slayer/Alti/Instinct). For a company with small design dept, that'd be impressive.

Also, be careful what you ask for - the new Altitude770 saw srp go up $500CAD, gained a pound, and its lost Kashima coatings found on the 2016 model. I'm not having any issues with ABC or the 34 stiffness, and I've yet to hear anyone say they're faster as a result of boost spacing or metric shocks. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 1272 Posts