Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching and really didn't come up with anything so I'll just ask. I was looking to change out the headset on my 2018 procaliber 9.9 rsl with a chris king set up. But I cannot for the life of me figure out which model is correct. I *believe* it's the dropset 1. I'm using a 2019 Fox Factory 32SC fork (tapered).

I called Chris King and they said they do not have an application for this frame. Trek can't really tell me much other than the replacement FSA headset which is sorta searchable but is not 100% definitive. I need to just take it apart and measure the bearings but I can't do that until at least late tonite and I'm trying to order today. I can't believe how difficult this is.

Oh and I checked the Cane Creek website to see what they come up with and it looks like it's their 41/52. The one piece I'm mainly concerned about is the lower part of the head tube....I'm not convinced it's a 52 which might explain why I'm having so much trouble cross referencing anything.

Anyway, if anyone has any info I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried searching and really didn't come up with anything so I'll just ask. I was looking to change out the headset on my 2018 procaliber 9.9 rsl with a chris king set up. But I cannot for the life of me figure out which model is correct. I *believe* it's the dropset 1. I'm using a 2019 Fox Factory 32SC fork (tapered).

I called Chris King and they said they do not have an application for this frame. Trek can't really tell me much other than the replacement FSA headset which is sorta searchable but is not 100% definitive. I need to just take it apart and measure the bearings but I can't do that until at least late tonite and I'm trying to order today. I can't believe how difficult this is.

Oh and I checked the Cane Creek website to see what they come up with and it looks like it's their 41/52. The one piece I'm mainly concerned about is the lower part of the head tube....I'm not convinced it's a 52 which might explain why I'm having so much trouble cross referencing anything.

Anyway, if anyone has any info I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Jack
JFC what a complete clusterf*ck. Chris King says they don't have an application for this, Trek can't tell me measurements or any real info other than "buy this replacement headset," and the replacement kit looks like it gives all the needed info but without confirmation from anyone one can't be sure. Until I take it all apart and look at all the pieces, measure everything, etc. And then it's confirmed, the dropset 1 is the correct application.

Seriously, WTF? I've been out of the MTB "scene" for many years but what a friggin' mess this has become. No standards, everyone is doing their own bespoke designs/specs and so many aftermarket and even manufacturers can't provide basic info? Not impressed with lack of industry standards, doesn't help anyone.

Anyway, I ordered the headset and will install it on Tuesday. At that point I will confirm final fit (and compare to the OE/FSA headset) and repost so that hopefully it helps someone someday and saves them all the BS I went thru.

/rant.

Cheers.

Jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rec'd the Dropset 1 kit and confirmed it is indeed a direct fit for my frame. Was able to install without issue, new fork, all good. Not sure if there was any frame design geometry changes at some point during various model years. Mine is a 9.9 RSL. Hope this helps someone.

Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.