Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed Pivot phased out the 27.5 Mach 4 Carbon in favor of the new Mach4 SL. The new bike is less travel both front and rear and eliminates the 27.5 option. I also love that they ditched the curvy look in the front triangle.

Was the old bike a little too similar to a trail 429 with 27.5 wheels? Maybe it was too slow compared to the 2018 mach429 sl with 29" wheels? The reason I am asking is because I found a small 2018 Mach 4 Carbon (trail setup) on closeout. Not crazy about its looks, but it has a decent build and is under 5k.

I unfortunately test road the new 2019 Mach 4 SL and loved it. I am not sure its gonna be $2500 better. I'm coming off an ancient 90s hardtail so everything feels weird in general. The Mach 4 SL felt like "it" to me and I would 100% buy it if I hadn't needed to get a new car two months ago. I can't do anything but parking lot ride the older bike so it's driving me nuts. Part of me is intrigued by the slight increase in travel with the old bike, but I worry it will feel extremely different with the 27.5 tires. Overall I felt that the 29s felt strange in a way. The ability to smooth out the trail was obvious, but handling felt less precise then what I'm used to on my ancient 26er. I like to ride aggressively overall and jump off stuff. 429trail felt ok but a bit numb and heavy but I still really liked it.

Any thoughts for an internet confused soul? My paranoia comes from demoing skis. I tried the current year and bought the previous year (award winning ski) at a huge discount thinking I wouldn't really notice. Unfortunately I do notice and it sort of bugs me. I keep wondering if the $600 I saved was worth it. Anyway...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I ride the Mach 4 27.5. I find is a great bike for peeps wanting a little more out of their xc whip. If you're the type that likes launching lips, and doing more than xc, then the 27.5 model is perfect.
The only way I'd justify the $2500 difference is if I got back into racing.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have a 2018 Mach 4 with the trail build and it's my favorite of every bike I've owned (a handful of Spec FSRs, and a Mach 5.7). I do occasionally bottom out the rear shock so losing that wee bit (15mm ?) of travel would be a bummer.

I REALLY like the looks of the new bike but it seems to be a true XC race bike whereas the discontinued 27.5" version gives just a little more of a nod to trail riding.

That "less precise" handling you noticed may very well be because bikes have moved to more slack steering in the time since your old bike was made. They almost all feel like that to some extent now. I never could get used to the "driving the bus" feel that my Mach 5.7 had. It was great on downhills but I felt that I just endured climbing and even riding the flats on it while I enjoy doing that stuff on the Mach 4 - and the downs are still really fun but a tad slower.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trigger pulled. Happy 40th birthday to me. Pro Xt/xtr trail build new for $4500. I felt it like it was a good deal. The current models I wanted would be 7k and backordered until mid July The bike feels small but not too bad. I like that every little move I make comes alive in the bike. I didn't feel that kind of response on the small trail 429 with 29ers. I happened to ride a medium trail 429 with 27.5 wheels and it felt much better then the same bike with 29s. I borderline hated the medium with 29s. Small with 29s was a lot better. Anyway. Thanks for the responses. They helped me a lot. Here some pics of my old bike and the new.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Vehicle

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle fork

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The Mach 4 is a great bike. You'll love it. I think the reason it's being discontinued is that it was a slow seller due to its' looks. I had one and loved riding it, it was super snappy and fun. I just couldn't look at it any longer. Have fun on it! Pro Tip: Before you get off of it each ride, close your eyes and don't open them again till you're on it again. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where does say it is Mach 4C is being discontinued? Mach 4C is still on Pivots website. I absolutely love mine. Don't care it might be a microseconds slower than a 29er. Mach4 bike is way more fun and it is so versatile. I have it build with 120mm travel and it rips everywhere. Looks like the days of shorter travel 27.5 are gone. Sucks to be in the minority territory. Even Giant Anthem 27.5 comes with 130mm travel and Scott does not offer the Spark in 27.5. Maybe I just have to buy a spare Mach 4C frame when mine gets totally beat up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure the Pivot guy said the new Mach 4 SL is replacing both bikes. https://bikerumor.com/2019/05/23/al...bike-is-a-longer-lower-leaner-xc-race-rocket/

From what I have read and heard, most people can't deny that 29" wheels are faster when comparing lap times. At the same time a bunch of the stuff I looked over mentioned preferring the feel of the 27.5s. I don't think the mach 4 carbon is terribly different from the Trail 429 w/27.5s I road both and they actually had a similar reach and feel with the 429 being much heavier. I am no expert but I guess it's a little redundant. The fact that they moved to the straight tubes is a signal. Maybe they will redesign it but I doubt it because the Trail 429 w27s basically does the same thing.

I mentioned above I'm coming out of the mid 90s and 26" world. The 29s felt driving a boat. The 27.5 Mach 4 carbon feels like an Indy car. It accelerates so quickly and I put about 15 hours on the bike and I think its incredible. Perfect bike for jersey/pa cross country. Need a dropper post though... Ideal seated position is not great for leaning back and going downhill. Overall it's been insanely fun to sort of come out of a time capsule and experience all these awesome bikes. Thanks to Pivot for the multiple demos and great advice.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Where does say it is Mach 4C is being discontinued? Mach 4C is still on Pivots website.
If it is getting replaced by the M4SL and is still on the website...it could be because that still have stock of the Mach 4. Once stock runs out...then it'll be removed from the website.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it is getting replaced by the M4SL and is still on the website...it could be because that still have stock of the Mach 4. Once stock runs out...then it'll be removed from the website.
It is a shame they are discontinuing this bike. It is totally different then the Mach 4 SL and fills a different niche Since they have the molds for it, Pivot could just keep making it in limited quantities or to order. Too bad that bike industry seems to be driven mostly by type of trails one encounters out west. Not too tight with long climbs and descents. Here in my area we have plenty of narrow short ups and downs tight turns single track ideal for smaller wheels. It seems that shaving seconds of the laps and stability on long descents takes priority over a fun flickable bikes. I mean the wheelbase on Mach4SL is whopping 1.5" longer than Mach4C

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where does say it is Mach 4C is being discontinued? Mach 4C is still on Pivots website. I absolutely love mine. Don't care it might be a microseconds slower than a 29er. Mach4 bike is way more fun and it is so versatile. I have it build with 120mm travel and it rips everywhere. Looks like the days of shorter travel 27.5 are gone. Sucks to be in the minority territory. Even Giant Anthem 27.5 comes with 130mm travel and Scott does not offer the Spark in 27.5. Maybe I just have to buy a spare Mach 4C frame when mine gets totally beat up.
Reviving old post. So today I pulled the trigger. Found a brand new Mach 4C frame for $1100. Could not resist. Might build it with 140 front fork. As a trail bike. Did and finished Marji Gesick 100 on my Mach 4 last year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been on a '16 mach 4 for the last 3 seasons and absolutely love the bike. At 6'0 it does feel small but it's still the most fun bike I've ridden.

I'm in the market for a new bike but can't find love for 29ers and new geometries. Everything feels so clunky and awkward compared to the old mach 4. The new mach 4SL is the most fun bike I have demo'd yet and incredibly fast but I'm no XC racer. I'm afraid it will beat the crap out of me on trails.

Has anyone transitioned away from the old mach 4 to something different and been completely satisfied with the new bike?

·
Paterfamilias
787 Posts
I have been on a '16 mach 4 for the last 3 seasons and absolutely love the bike. At 6'0 it does feel small but it's still the most fun bike I've ridden.

I'm in the market for a new bike but can't find love for 29ers and new geometries. Everything feels so clunky and awkward compared to the old mach 4. The new mach 4SL is the most fun bike I have demo'd yet and incredibly fast but I'm no XC racer. I'm afraid it will beat the crap out of me on trails.

Has anyone transitioned away from the old mach 4 to something different and been completely satisfied with the new bike?
Take my opinion as you will, since I work for PIVOT.

I have ridden the Mach 4 carbon 27.5. Loved that bike. I'm not an XC racer, so I built it with a Float 34 130mm fork. The bike railed. The bike I had just before that was a Mach 429 carbon (the version before the SL), though I liked the 429, the Mach 4 27.5 was more my style of bike. My next bike was a Switchblade, I loved that bike the most, in fact so much when I sold it, I bought that same bike again same bike for nearly 3 years. Then I moved to a Mach 5.5 for a year, then sold it and hopped on the Mach 4 SL.

What I liked about the Mach 4 27.5 was it's versatility. It was a very capable bike, it climbed really well, and it descended with confidence. When I first tested the bike it had a 32 120, I liked it, but at the time I was a hefty 240lbs, I'm 6'1" and was on a large, and I wanted a little stiffer fork, so I opted for the 34 130mm fork.

Fast-forward 3 bikes, to the Mach 4 SL, again I went with large, and I really liked - or loved - this bike. It didn't behave like other XC-ish 29'rs I'd ridden. It was fast down hill! I got some of my fastest times down trails like Mormon and Javelina here in South Mountain. I also ran a shorter stem on this bike a 45mm vs. the 60mm that came on it at the time. It reminded me a lot of how I felt on the older Mach 4 27.5. Once I swapped tires to a DHRII 2.4 front a rear the bike came alive for me as far as it's ability to descend and inspire confidence. I'd recommend giving it another test ride.

Once our demo's open up again, ask them to swap the stem to a shorter stem, and take it for another spin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 200lbs and mine has the 34. I couldn't imagine the 32. Im on the east coast. Not a ton of elevation so all speed is earned without the help of gravity. Trails are mostly hard pack so minions are way overkill in my opinion. Tried them and it felt like I used cement for sealant. I really want to throw a leg over the new switchblade but set it up with some 2.25-2.35 more xc-ish tires like the vittoria barzo/mezcal. Then ld have the flexibility to beef things up for trips to NC

·
Paterfamilias
787 Posts
I'm 200lbs and mine has the 34. I couldn't imagine the 32. Im on the east coast. Not a ton of elevation so all speed is earned without the help of gravity. Trails are mostly hard pack so minions are way overkill in my opinion. Tried them and it felt like I used cement for sealant. I really want to throw a leg over the new switchblade but set it up with some 2.25-2.35 more xc-ish tires like the vittoria barzo/mezcal. Then ld have the flexibility to beef things up for trips to NC
You should consider the Trail 429 Enduro build. That bike comes with the 36, and is a really nice build too. It does come with Minion DHRII, but you could sell those off and get the tires of your choice.

I'm on the Switchblade, and I freaking love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.