Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know the negative pressure/loss of travel issue has been discussed but the newer shocks are still susceptible.
I have a 2018 Pike Debonair with around 50 hours, it’s done it twice on the trails towards the end of a 14.5 mile single track I like.

So today I thought I’d service the lowers, pull the air spring and check it out. Well the air spring had a lot of grease so I cleaned it, put a light coat of slick honey and reinstalled it.

I pumped the fork at 25lb intervals, cycled it, once at full pressure I gave it some heavy cycles and it stopped at 130mm travel vs the 150 she should be. Next I let the pressure out, put zip ties along the stanchions, pumped up and cycled at 25 lb intervals and while better It looks about 140.

I'm losing my confidence in this fork. Sad thing is when working I’ve got her pretty dialed in and she’s pretty awesome.

If it happens again I’m punting and calling Push for an ASC3 upgrade.
I know it should be a warranty issue but I don’t want my fork at Rockshox for a few weeks, I don’t ride I get grumpy.

Anyone have any thoughts on something I missed? I’d rather not spend another $400. That said I’d do it in a heartbeat if I no longer had to worry about this issue ruining a ride.

thanks, Rye.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Are you installing the lowers with both rods fully extended? It could be a vacuum in one or both legs pulling it down.

If the air spring is letting air in to the negative chamber then it needs a new quad seal at least, and a proper inspection of the stanchion tube.

Personally I recommend suck it up and send it to sram to make sure it’s 100%, but also the 2018 “debonair” forks are actually still solo air, the debonair proper came along for 2019 so maybe take this opportunity to upgrade to debonair and fix both problems at once?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a brand new Debonair air spring sitting here, maybe I’ll toss it in. It’s paid for and I won’t get anything for it so I might as well try it.

Thanks for the info, Rye.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red Carmine Pliers Tool Hammer

Well it happened a few times today so I pulled her apart and put the new Debonair air spring I had in her. This is her last chance then she's getting pushed.

I will say after install its sitting higher in travel and after multiple compressions it's going right back up to the top. Not really confident but it's a start.
I did notice it's a bit stiffer to compress, maybe it needs some break in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are you installing the lowers with both rods fully extended? It could be a vacuum in one or both legs pulling it down.

If the air spring is letting air in to the negative chamber then it needs a new quad seal at least, and a proper inspection of the stanchion tube.

Personally I recommend suck it up and send it to sram to make sure it's 100%, but also the 2018 "debonair" forks are actually still solo air, the debonair proper came along for 2019 so maybe take this opportunity to upgrade to debonair and fix both problems at once?
Quick note on the 2018 Solo vs. Debonair. The early ones were marked Solo, but actually have the Debonair shaft. I have a Pike and Lyrik that are both that way.

I agree that a vacuum from install can cause that issue. I found that one out the hard way when I followed the wrong advice from a Youtube mechanic about how to reinstall the lowers after an airshaft change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the issue before ever opening the shock. I also understand you need to extend the shock and cycle it when filling it and I did.
I guess I may have had a bad seal, the air transfer port is clean so who knows. I won’t get to ride again till next week, we shall see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.