Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've picked up a 2018 Patrol Alloy frame 2nd hand and am trying to strip it down to clean / check all bearings before I build it back up.

I'm having trouble getting the "Main Pivot Axle" out of the frame. I have undone the 5mm allen bolt and removed the tapered collet from the non drive side but can't work out what to do from there. The cup the tapered collet sits into takes an 8mm allen key but the entire bolt spins in the frame freely. The inside of the drive side is just round all the way through to the threaded section that takes the 5mm bolt from the non-drive side.

All I can find on-line is for a 2017 and it talks about 2 tapered collets but I can't see a 2nd one.

The exploded diagram on the web archive, pg 13 here https://www.transitionbikes.com/SupportFiles/PatrolAlloy_2018_WebsiteArchive.pdf appears as though the entire bolt assembly comes in from the non-drive side. I'm assuming the tapered collet then locks it into place. That can't be right can it?

If anyone has any experience removing this or knows of any on-line resources that show me how to remove it I would be very appreciative.

Unfortunately it's a long weekend here, Australia, and the local distributor is unavailable for a few days.

Many thanks for any help , tips, advice.

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so clearly I like to overthink things. Found this video that shows bearing replacement on a Scout. If I had turned the 8mm a little bit more than I did I would have realised it was backing the whole axle out.

Main pivot axle removed but now that raises the next question. The video shows what he calls a spacer as he removes the axle and bearing covers as he puts the chain stays back on but the video is of a Scout. The exploded view of the Patrol doesn't show these, the frame I have didn't have these but these is a little bit of side to side play on that pivot when only the chain stays are attached to the frame. Does anyone know if the 2018Patrol should have those covers there? There is enough play that it is noticeable with just the chain stays fitted but not so much that I think it would be noticeable by hand when the full rear triangle and shock are attached.

Thanks, any feed back is appreciated.

Registered
That's the bearing spacer and yes that is still in there. I'm now asking about the spacers in the video at 1:10.

Thanks though.
Ok, that's the new scout, so I'd expect it's different, but I do not remember the main pivot having spacers, but pretty much everything else does. My main pivot doesn't have an even gap either, which TR replied is "ok" which might lead you to think there should be a spacer in there.

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I noticed there is a lip on the inside of the chain stay at the pivot hole on the drive side but not one on the non-drive side so I think might explain the uneven gap. I think I'll bolt it all back up with the shock on, torque it all properly and see how it feels. If there is still any play then I'll take it done to the local Transition Dealer which apparently isn't too far from me.

Thanks again.

Registered
The exploded view for the Patrol Alloy might be laid out in a bit of a confusing orientation. There is a center spacer between the bearings inside the front triangle, but there are no spacers on the outside of the bearings for that model. The exploded view shows all the parts that should be in the frame. Those outer spacers were added on the Scout, etc later than this particular Patrol Alloy frame.

The main pivot axle has a step on the non-drive side, which will tighten against the bearing. The axle pulls the chainstay to the left, and alignment is all set from the drive side of the bike. The non-drive side portion of the CS "floats" on the main pivot axle and the collet expands to lock everything in place. The drive side chainstay "ear" is against the bearings in the front triangle, but there should be a small gap between the non-drive side chainstay "ear" and the bearings in the front triangle. That is not just OK, that is the intended design in order to handle tolerance stack up. What you are seeing in that gap is the larger diameter step in the main pivot axle.

Long story short... There are no outer spacers in the Patrol Alloy assembly and the gap is correct.

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much for the detailed answer.

I've now cleaned everything up and reassembled. All bolts are torqued to spec and there is zero play in it so a happy camper here.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts