Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,209 Posts
Two of the best big capacity packs made in my opinion.
Edit: I've revised my opinion (included below for continuity) after a couple of the lower comments that indicated there's a strap to keep the bladder in place. After scratching my head I went back to the bladder compartment for one last look before tossing it up on ebay. I found on mine the dayglo strip IS the strap and the handle hooks into it unlike past models. I missed it because it was pressed flat against the back of the pack so it didn't realize this. I wonder how many others have done the same? Oh well, it's still a bit of a hassle to have to take it out to fill but I can live with that. Thanks to those who helped...maybe this will help someone else in the future. :)

Feel free to ignore the rest unless you're confused like I was. Very nice pack.
noapathy: They used to be. Right before they went "LR". The bladder sometimes closes itself off, is a pain to get in and out to refill/clean and it's near impossible to fill in place. And they switched to that weird-angled bite valve setup instead of the 90 degree bend. The packs themselves are fine, but as a long time camelbak fan my next will be a non-LR or non-Camelbak (probably Osprey).

There's a reason they're on sale.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Never had a problem with the new LR bladders. I ride twice a week with a skyline LR that I have had for two years now. Never have had an issue unzipping the bladder from its compartment, removing it, filling it and putting it back. Maybe if you have the pack stuffed to the gills it tends to be hard to get it to fit with a full bladder. Also have a mule LR exactly like the one on sale and use it in the winter when I need the extra room for a spare jacket, gloves ect. I have tried osprey, fox, dueter, leatt and uswe, and always came back to the Camelbak for fit, comfort, durability and price. Especially at that price. I even replaced my leatt pack for moto with a Camelbak Kudo for comfort.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,209 Posts
Never had a problem with the new LR bladders.
So clearly YMMV as I have a Skyline LR that I only use WITHOUT the bladder due to the PITA it became to refill vs older models (others give poor reviews of the new design, so it's not just me).

I want to like it, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Is there some trick to keep the thing from folding over onto itself so I only get half the water out? Yes, I also fill it full but not excessively so. The pack itself is usually around 50-70% capacity with tools, spare, etc.

I was looking at the KUDU as an alternative, but $$.

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So clearly YMMV as I have a Skyline LR that I only use WITHOUT the bladder due to the PITA it became to refill vs older models (others give poor reviews of the new design, so it's not just me).

I want to like it, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Is there some trick to keep the thing from folding over onto itself so I only get half the water out? Yes, I also fill it full but not excessively so. The pack itself is usually around 50-70% capacity with tools, spare, etc.

I was looking at the KUDU as an alternative, but $$.
There is a hook for the bladder on the Skyline. Yeah refilling it is not as easy as my first gen CamelBak but it does not shift around on me like my old Mules with the old style bladder.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,209 Posts
There is a hook for the bladder on the Skyline. Yeah refilling it is not as easy as my first gen CamelBak but it does not shift around on me like my old Mules with the old style bladder.
The only thing I see that's loose is those pull straps and a dayglo thing at the back. I looked all around for a hook or loop to put one of the hooks at the top into. I'm sure it's staring me in the face, but I watched 4 vids and they're all useless. Now I really want to know if I'm just an idiot for not using the thing right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.