Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2018 Hei Hei CR/DL recently that I absolutely love and it's the best fitting mtb I have ever owned but the monarch rl shock it comes with is just garbage. I am a heavy rider at 200lbs with gear and it seems like no matter what I do I can't find a middle ground with the shock. It's either too stiff or bottoms out too easily.

I tried replacing it with a CC DBAir IL but the air can is too fat so it won't fit in the frame. Fox DPS seems like a pain because it's tricky to get one with the custom tune for the frame.

Has anyone tried the DT Swiss X313 shocks? Looks like they got a slight redesign for this year and a better low profile remote plus the price is right.

I will be doing some XC races this summer so would like something with good mid stroke support.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,416 Posts
Just an FYI, I have a new Orbea Oiz and my DPS is **** in the initial stroke. I just ordered a Manitou Mcleod from Universal.

If you read the thread on here, it seems to be a great alternative.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got a 2018 Hei Hei CR/DL recently that I absolutely love and it's the best fitting mtb I have ever owned but the monarch rl shock it comes with is just garbage. I am a heavy rider at 200lbs with gear and it seems like no matter what I do I can't find a middle ground with the shock. It's either too stiff or bottoms out too easily.

I tried replacing it with a CC DBAir IL but the air can is too fat so it won't fit in the frame. Fox DPS seems like a pain because it's tricky to get one with the custom tune for the frame.

Has anyone tried the DT Swiss X313 shocks? Looks like they got a slight redesign for this year and a better low profile remote plus the price is right.

I will be doing some XC races this summer so would like something with good mid stroke support.
I am sort of figuring the same issue. 240 geared up.

However I installed a debonair can upgrade on my Mknarxh so I could run higher pressure and it still feel supple. Made a difference for sure.

Just wish the shock had some tuning options

Trail labs said to install the firmer valve. Haven't done that yet

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,812 Posts
I have a 2017 CR/DL with the DPS, also ride XL, 215 lbs with gear, quite happy with the shock, no complaints.

I've been curious to try something else just to try something different, but haven't bothered because I'm happy with the way the bike is now.

I vaguely remember looking up other shock options and think DVO makes one that fits. I've heard good things about DVO but haven't tried one myself yet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2017 CR/DL with the DPS, also ride XL, 215 lbs with gear, quite happy with the shock, no complaints.

I've been curious to try something else just to try something different, but haven't bothered because I'm happy with the way the bike is now.

I vaguely remember looking up other shock options and think DVO makes one that fits. I've heard good things about DVO but haven't tried one myself yet.
Looking at the dvo site I didn't see the size listed. I might give them a call though because I know they made shorter versions of the t3air for giant and I do have a dvo sapphire on my hei hei which has been a phenomenal fork. Don't think I'll be going to fox or RS forks for the foreseeable future if dvo keeps pumping out awesome forks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,812 Posts
Looking at the dvo site I didn't see the size listed.
hmm, I see you're right. I wonder if it was available last summer when I looked it up and now it's discontinued? Or maybe I was thinking of the Cane Creek? idk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm, I see you're right. I wonder if it was available last summer when I looked it up and now it's discontinued? Or maybe I was thinking of the Cane Creek? idk
Cane Creek DBAir IL is a no-go. I ordered one and the air can is too fat so had to send it back. My wife is in Europe right now so I might have her bring me back a DT Swiss R414.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’d really look at the Manitou McLeod. I put one on a tallboy, replacing a fox and it was much, much better.

Very good initial stroke sensitivity, very good support.
I weigh ~190 rtr.

Oren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.