Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm running a 32T up front. On short climes, when I'm pedaling hard and creating decent power, suspension feels great. No discernible "bob" and the back wheel stays planted. I'm no expert, but I think the pedaling forces counteract the suspension movement. I feel the most "bob" on flatter non-technical sections where I'm just trying to "spin". Maybe it's a consequence of my peddling technique (or lack there of).

In regards to the difference in shock tuning. As I understand it, the Factory and Performance Elite shocks/forks are essentially identical. The only difference is the color of the stanchions. Performance Elite having black stanchions, and the Factory having gold anodized "Kashima" stanchion, and costing an additional $50. According to Fox, the Kashima coating is supposed to somehow reduce friction. But, in reality, the difference is not discernible.

I only have a few rides on the bike, so please take my comments/complaints with a grain of salt. As I get more time to ride I'll continue to adjust the shock PSI and Ride 9
settings. Hopefully I'll figure out what works for me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nice new bike! I like the gloss black. Is that the Element Carbon 70? I thought those would be heavier than 24.8 lbs. Did you make any changes to the parts?

View attachment 1192752

Finally riding my new toy. 24.8lbs without pedals or water bottle cages. Still working on dialing in the suspension.
So far I've tried the ride 9 chip in the (5) neutral and (9)
steep positions. In both positions i'm experiencing more "pedal bob" than I'm used to. What kind of psi are you running in the rear shock? I'm 185 pounds and am running 220psi in the rear, at 25% sag. 220psi seems a bit excessive to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, it's a carbon 70, and yes, i've made a few changes. Was 26.6 pounds stock (no pedals). I've swapped out the wheels, tires (tubeless), cassette, rotors, cranks, saddle, handlebar, and shifter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I looked up the codes on Fox’s site (search fox shocks tuning code) and it looks like they have the same tune, climb=firm, rebound, compression=medium. Having ridden both style of shocks as well, IMO there is no real difference between Kashima and the black coating. Going by time segment comparison, I haven’t been able challenge previous PBs with the Element. The XL size can actually carry 3 water bottles!
I ended up selling my Element as I had a keen buyer who was really interested in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your bike looks great. What sizes did you go with for the Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph combo? 2.25" front and rear?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. Rocket Ron front, Racing Ralph rear. 2.25's front and rear. I've been riding that combo for years. Pulled them off another bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The weather is finally warming up in central Alberta and the trails are starting to dry. Got out for my first ride on this XC 70 this morning. Started with the ride 9 in position 7 and felt pretty good. Will continue to play with settings but overall was quite impressed.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
The weather is finally warming up in central Alberta and the trails are starting to dry. Got out for my first ride on this XC 70 this morning. Started with the ride 9 in position 7 and felt pretty good. Will continue to play with settings but overall was quite impressed.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Looks good! I'm in Calgary and I have the 2017 Version of the same bike! Can't wait to take it out to Bragg Creek or Canmore! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Element 70 XCO with some modifications: The bike came with the regular lower headset cup installed (the extender was included) so I put on a 120 fork instead of the SC. The BB seems low enough with this setup even in the neutral ride9 position but I will play with the settings after egtting some more ride time on the bike. I also had to swap saddle, and bars and stem due to lack of stem alternatives in 35 mm, and put on some proper tires with sealant. A stuck rear axle made the last one the most challenging but wd40 made it work.

I have now done a couple trail rides and one race on it, and it is a super fun race bike! The only annoying thing at the moment is the push-to-open remote, which I somehow end up actuating once in a while without meaning to, leaving me with a locked rear shock. Some refurnishing of the cockpit will probably sort it out.

image.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
My LBS currently has a 2018 Element C50 for sale at $2,700. So tempted to pull the trigger! Anyone still riding theirs?

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,719 Posts
My LBS currently has a 2018 Element C50 for sale at $2,700. So tempted to pull the trigger! Anyone still riding theirs?
I have the Carbon 99 2018 Element, pretty much stock, and just ticked over 2000 miles on it. The frame rides like and continues to look new -- just this morning I was told "hey Ptor, that looks like a shiny new bike", so it has worn well. I think that C50 sounds like a great deal -- as far as I can tell the frames haven't changed since the 2018 (anyone know if that's right?). It certainly can still be considered to be in the much ballyhooed "new geometry" category for an XC bike. Despite being prone to the condition, I have not developed "new bike lust" and expect to have the Element filling the XC full suspension slot in my lineup for a few more years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Carbon 99 2018 Element, pretty much stock, and just ticked over 2000 miles on it. The frame rides like and continues to look new -- just this morning I was told "hey Ptor, that looks like a shiny new bike", so it has worn well. I think that C50 sounds like a great deal -- as far as I can tell the frames haven't changed since the 2018 (anyone know if that's right?). It certainly can still be considered to be in the much ballyhooed "new geometry" category for an XC bike. Despite being prone to the condition, I have not developed "new bike lust" and expect to have the Element filling the XC full suspension slot in my lineup for a few more years.
Thanks for the insight! I'm coming from a 2015 Trek Fuel EX with 120 front and rear. I was initially shopping for something in the range of 120-130 (possible 140) but this deal on the Element has definitely got me thinking.

I live in SLC and do most of my riding on local XC trails. I enjoy the climb as much as the down, but keep the jumping and hucking to very minimal. 120/100 should be more than sufficient for what I ride but I do a handful of trips down south to Moab and St. George where the terrain is a little rougher and a little more rear suspension would be nice for bigger drops.

What's really holding me back is the color of this bike - a boring black and white! Also the C50 doesn't come with a dropper. No one has snatched it yet but if it's there next weekend....I might have myself a new bike day!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dark grey with white writing? The 2018 and 2019 C50s are identical except for the colour options.
They are amazing bikes. They ride like a bike with a lot more travel than they actually have. They are a little "lardy" as a pure XC race weapon, but the geo is amazing for climbing and even more amazing for descending.
You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dark grey with white writing? The 2018 and 2019 C50s are identical except for the colour options.
They are amazing bikes. They ride like a bike with a lot more travel than they actually have. They are a little "lardy" as a pure XC race weapon, but the geo is amazing for climbing and even more amazing for descending.
You wont be disappointed.
Yes, dark grey with white decals. The grey looks great but decals are kind of an eye sore to me. I wonder if RM sell decals in different colors.

I talked the price down to $2550. We haven't discussed about any post sale services/tune ups but at this price I'm expecting none of that. I'm currently out of town but going to put down a deposit tonight and pick it up next week!

I've always owned used bikes so I'm super stocked on my first legit new bike day!

·
LDC is ded,deth by trollz
2,147 Posts
Hello, long story short i picked up one of the C50 deals. I want to make it 2x for bikepacking. Is anyone running 2x, or did at one time on this version of the element? My question is about crank fitment. The new boost 2x cranks dont really have the gearing i want and I want to keep a sram BB in there so i can easily swap back to my eagle crank. does anyone think a non boost 39/26 crank would fit? What about a 24 little ring on a non boost. I would think at some point the ring is so small it clears, but I have no idea. If not, do you think a 38/28 boost XT crank would fit?

I adjusted the setup a little too. 100mm SID World cup with the headset spacer installed. No dropper. Ordered a frame bag from Rouge Panda that uses the water bottle mounts. want it 2x. Thats my bikepacking/ultra endurance setup, then i have a weight weenie 100mm race setup, and a 120mm trail setup. same bike. oh canada

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, dark grey with white decals. The grey looks great but decals are kind of an eye sore to me. I wonder if RM sell decals in different colors.

I talked the price down to $2550. We haven't discussed about any post sale services/tune ups but at this price I'm expecting none of that. I'm currently out of town but going to put down a deposit tonight and pick it up next week!

I've always owned used bikes so I'm super stocked on my first legit new bike day!
I also found a C50 on sale and a C30. The price on the C50 was reduced by 30% and the C30 was reduced by 40%. This is in Sweden so the 50 came in at about 2900$ and the 30 which I wound up buying was 2000$. I was trying to convince myself to get the 50 but it was a medium and the 30 was Large, and the large fit me perfectly, I'm 5.11. They weighed it in the store and it was 12.95 kg without pedals in a Large.

It is the best deal I could find for a carbon FS bike anywhere in Sthlm. Before I bought it, I was planning on getting a new Canyon Neuron AL 7.0 for about the same price, so I was lucky I found it. I also got lifetime free service a the LBS.

It comes with a Reba but that was enough for me as I pretty much only ride XC. I came of a 2017 Cannondale Habit carbon 3, with a lefty 130mm. The Element feels much quicker to me, despite having Ikon's front and rear on the Habit. I'm in the nr7 ride9 position right now as I weigh 156lbs. It will be interesting to try out the different positions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone know what the max width for the rear tire is on the Element? I wanted to put on a Minion dhr 2, size 29x2.4 61-622 on a 29 IW rim.

Right now I have a xr3 29x2.4 58-622 on a 23 IW rim.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It think it'll be pretty tight, I get some rub with a 2.3 Aggressor on the back of mine with a 25mm IW DT Swiss rim.
A 29mm IW rim might be stiff enough to limit wheel flex though?

·
LDC is ded,deth by trollz
2,147 Posts
Does anyone know what the max width for the rear tire is on the Element? I wanted to put on a Minion dhr 2, size 29x2.4 61-622 on a 29 IW rim.

Right now I have a xr3 29x2.4 58-622 on a 23 IW rim.
I have a 2.6 Specialized purgatory on i9 Backcountry 360 wheels. Smashing crazy trails and havent had any rub whatsoever. I've tried to get it to rub also. Tried 12 psi and started railing berms. No rub.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2018 C50 and was wondering if any of you find the element too progressive in rear suspension? I use the 9th setting on ride 9 because the other settings ramped up so much it almost felt like the suspension hit a wall. I removed the fox shock as i felt like it had no support in the midstroke. The rockshox monarch is a big improvement but i just can't seem to get the rear end dialled. It seems to have no "pop" and all these comments about the bike feeling like it has more than 100mm of travek just dont seem right to me.
I'm 85kg/188Lbs and have ridden a lot of horst link bikes, why does this one feel so wierd? I bought the bike in the hopes of a downcountry style bike and i'm really struggling to get that happening. How have you all got your bikes setup?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts