Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
That does not sound correct. I weigh 185 lbs and run 180psi in my 2017 Fox DPS shock for about 30% sag in the neutral position. The Evol shocks should require more air pressure than the regular air can.

when setting up sag, did you make sure the shock lock out was off, and did you cycle the suspension several times after pumping up the shock? it is important to cycle the suspension after adding air so the negative air spring can equalize pressure.

If you did both of these things, then there might be something wrong with your shock causing extra friction, you will be able tell after your first ride.

·
Registered
80 Posts
These are our new carbon XC rims:

24.5mm inner
30mm outer
Hookless
340 +/- 15g
Hey thanks so much for sharing this! I was wondering about them. Are they made in house?

I ended up swapping the ones that came on by bike; but they seemed like awesome wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
That does not sound correct. I weigh 185 lbs and run 180psi in my 2017 Fox DPS shock for about 30% sag in the neutral position. The Evol shocks should require more air pressure than the regular air can.

when setting up sag, did you make sure the shock lock out was off, and did you cycle the suspension several times after pumping up the shock? it is important to cycle the suspension after adding air so the negative air spring can equalize pressure.

If you did both of these things, then there might be something wrong with your shock causing extra friction, you will be able tell after your first ride.
Haha...that was it. I didn't realize the remote was setup as push-to-unlock rather than push-to-lock. So the lock was on. Once I figured that out I reset the sag at 165 PSI. All good now!

·
Registered
846 Posts
What is the weight of the frameset? I've been looking but can't seem to find it. Weight of frame + shock, axle, hardware, etc.

Do you have to use the FSA headset that comes with the frameset?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Finished my build recently. comes in at 11.0kg/24.2lbs with pedals as pictured so not the lightest xc bike going around. I dont have frameset weight but i reckon it would be around 2.2kg. The mezcal tyres are also not the lightest at over 700g. Have only had 1 race in muddy conditions so far so not a fair test but it felt good.

20180220_065444.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Finished my build recently. comes in at 11.0kg/24.2lbs with pedals as pictured so not the lightest xc bike going around. I dont have frameset weight but i reckon it would be around 2.2kg. The mezcal tyres are also not the lightest at over 700g. Have only had 1 race in muddy conditions so far so not a fair test but it felt good.

View attachment 1183969
Cool build!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got about 300 miles so far on my 2018 Element 70. It's a pretty fun bike. I've been pretty happy with everything about it so far. Took it on its first real trail ride today, around Sedona. It handled the terrain pretty well. It climbs well, though this bike is much lighter than my 2014 Fuel Ex 7. This is the first bike I've had with a dropper post as well, that was a lot of fun. My 1x12 Eagle system is pretty dialed.
IMG_1197.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi everyone. Im considering the 2018 element as my next mtb and am really intrigued by the ride9 system. i did go through numerous videos and reviews and it seems like an amazing tool to tweak geometry. my question is in relation to the suggestion of the ride9 settings according to rider weight (aside from geometry adjustment). im a heavier rider (210lbs) and was wondering if there was any negative effect on the bike/suspension if it is set towards the steeper settings (lots of climby-xc riding in ontario)? Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Got about 300 miles so far on my 2018 Element 70. It's a pretty fun bike. I've been pretty happy with everything about it so far. Took it on its first real trail ride today, around Sedona. It handled the terrain pretty well. It climbs well, though this bike is much lighter than my 2014 Fuel Ex 7. This is the first bike I've had with a dropper post as well, that was a lot of fun. My 1x12 Eagle system is pretty dialed.
View attachment 1184590
Beauty! I have the 2017 version of the same bike but I love the simple White and Black paintjob of the 2018 model!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rocky Element 2018 Custom Weight Weenie Build

hey guys,
So my frame-based build is under way at my LBS.
I ordered the frame and then hand-picked all the components I need based on weight and price.
The wheels are ~1300 gram Duke wheels, hand-built based on my weight and riding style.
The fork is a Fox SC Performance (lower end) model.
Brakes are XTR Race.
Drivertrain is 12-speed Eagle based on the XX1 crankset and cassette. The rest are GX (lower end) components.
There's carbon and KCNC wherever I could stick it.

I'm gunning for a 9.5 KG (20.94 lbs) finished product with pedals - wish me luck :eekster:.
As for the weight of the frame without headset but with all the hardware (and there's a lot because of the Di2 compatibility came out close to 2410 grams.
I'm setting the remote to lock/open both the rear and front shocks.
I'm not going to use a dropper post this year, at least.
Since my fork is 100mm I had to use the wider extend-o-matic disc which weighs a heart-wrenching 42 grams on my scale.
20180305_201050.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good luck! Personally I think you will be pushing it to get 9.5kg with pedals.

My build is all xx1 eagle with next sl cranks, xtr race brakes, dt swis xrc1250 wheels, next 35 bar etc and mine is spot on 11.0 kg. 300-400 of that would be extra weight of a dropper compared to rigid post and my wheels come in at 1430grams. So taking those 2 heavier items into account i would still be at 10.5. using 500 gram feather tyres instead of 700g ones would then put me at about 10.1kg. Still no where near 9.5

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds like a nice build - would love to see a picture of it.
As for my parts, I'm really going light everywhere I can.
My handlebar and stem come out to 230 grams together.
I will be using snake skin Schwalbe Burts and my wheels are ~1300. Saddle is 130. Post will be cut down to about 150.
There's a good chance that I won't make it without an additional push into the bolt-replacement game.
I promise to keep you posted.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Element frame only availability...

So, I'm teetering on getting back into XC racing this season but need to build up a bike.

The 2018 Element frame should work well with me.

Anyone know if the frame only is available?

I'm near Ottawa and Montreal. Plenty of dealers listed but I familiar with almost none of the shops. Any recommendations?

I'd call Rocky direct but can't seem to find a phone number for them.

Thanks.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Yep it is available as a frame only, but it could be a challenge finding inventory, they were a hot commodity when they began shipping, you're likely going to want to check with all the shops and see if anyone has one.

Element | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

So, I'm teetering on getting back into XC racing this season but need to build up a bike.

The 2018 Element frame should work well with me.

Anyone know if the frame only is available?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
IMG_3254_2.jpg

Finally riding my new toy. 24.8lbs without pedals or water bottle cages. Still working on dialing in the suspension.
So far I've tried the ride 9 chip in the (5) neutral and (9)
steep positions. In both positions i'm experiencing more "pedal bob" than I'm used to. What kind of psi are you running in the rear shock? I'm 185 pounds and am running 220psi in the rear, at 25% sag. 220psi seems a bit excessive to me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’m running 205-210psi at 190 lbs, I found the descending too harsh at higher pressures. I settled on running it in position 7 on Ride 9. I too have noticed more pedal bob compared to the other suspension systems that I have ridden. It’s an amazing low speed technical climber (Captain Ahab, blue dot trail in Mag 7, as I recently discovered on spring road trip), but the active suspension definitely has pedal bob in smoother climbing situations. I found myself using the lockout a lot on smooth stuff, but on typical single track climbing, i don’t like climbing with the lockout on, so the suspension dives under heavy pedalling load. It is a capable descender, but I’m definitely reminded frequently I’m on a 100mm rear travel bike (compared to other systems at the same travel)

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,720 Posts
170 lbs, position 9 on the ride 9 system, 190psi in my fox factory shock -- and I get NO discernible pedal bob . I never lock out either fork on any dirt surface, no matter how smooth. This is the first full suspension bike that I've owned, and I've been mtbing for over 30 years, minimum of several thousand miles a year. Every time I demoed or borrowed a full suspension until this Element I could not abide the bobbing and power robbing suspension. I rode 22 miles today and thought about this thread several times while riding, so I played with locking out the suspension on trails and road and I still couldn't find anything about the rear end that bothered me. I still ride my hardtail single speed on a regular basis so have a fresh comparison. Perhaps the Factory tune of my shock makes a difference?
...but the active suspension definitely has pedal bob in smoother climbing situations. I found myself using the lockout a lot on smooth stuff, but on typical single track climbing, i don’t like climbing with the lockout on, so the suspension dives under heavy pedalling load.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What size chainring are you running? It looks like the Element is optimized around a 28t. I run a 32t so AS values are definitely lower. There are a lot of things I like about the Element, but I also ride SS and road, so transitioning to the Element, that pedalling squat is very obvious. I have the 970 fox dps, maybe there is s difference in factory tune? We can check by looking up the 4 digit code on the shock on Fox’s website. My lockout isn’t a full lockout and there is a bit of bob when pedalling on the road in the very short stroke of the locked shock.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,720 Posts
What size chainring are you running? It looks like the Element is optimized around a 28t. I run a 32t so AS values are definitely lower.
I too have a 32t ring. And I've got the Eagle drivetrain with the 50 tooth cog.

There are a lot of things I like about the Element, but I also ride SS and road, so transitioning to the Element, that pedalling squat is very obvious.
That's me too -- SS and road/gravel. I'm just not getting that feeling at all -- I'd much rather lock out the front when I'm really digging in up hill than the rear. I'd trade the remote for the rear for a remote for the front.

I have the 970 fox dps, maybe there is s difference in factory tune? We can check by looking up the 4 digit code on the shock on Fox’s website.
The only 4-digit code I can find on my shock is "DB4C". I looked (albeit briefly) at the Fox site and couldn't find anything about tuning codes -- but it seem like you know something about this?

My lockout isn’t a full lockout and there is a bit of bob when pedalling on the road in the very short stroke of the locked shock.
Mine is completely locked out and with the steep seat angle stiffer feeling than my 27.2 Ti seatposted SS. It would seem to be something to do with the shock tune?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts