Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
My lbs had the catalog and was happy to show me it. It didn't sound like it was secret, ask your lbs to see it. I think mostly fox suspension and SRAM drivetrains. There is an XCO option with 100mm SC fork.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really like the new colour as well. The seat tube looks like it ends way higher than on my 2017 frame (the amount the sticks up above top tube). Is that just a frame size thing? (mine is a medium)

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,719 Posts
I'm in the market for a 29er XC machine that is more trail capable and the Element is at the top of the list. No matter the make, I'm trying to decide between the high end complete build or building it up exactly as I want it (not sure about Eagle, may want grip shift for the dodgy thumb, I'm kind of a wheel snob, prefer specific saddle and grips, bar sweep is important, etc). Does anyone have info on the 2018 Element C99 build (what are the wheels? couldn't tell from the pictures), price and availability? And just the frame price? Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just got word from someone 'in the know' about some of the Specs for the 2018 Element C50 (Which replaces last year's 950).

Similar Spec to last year except Sram instead of Shimano:
-Sram GX Eagle Drivetrain
-Shimano SLX Brakes
- 120mm Fox 34
- Fox DPS (with Remote in rear)
- DT Swiss Rear Hb w/Sun Helix Rims

Retail in Canada is apparently $5200.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just rode the new element this morning. Feels about the same as my 2017 but the new colors are absolutely on point!

Tennis ball yellow is stunning in person! Also, the blue on the bike shows up in person as a much more black color. I wouldn't call Blue at all.

GX eagle runs smooth and besides the weight, I would guess it feels the same as my xo1 eagle on my other bike.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does anyone know the reason why the geometry from 2017 to 2018 has changed? Reach seems to be shorter than last year...
On the site you can cycle through the different Ride 9 chip settings.... My guess is that last year's was shown in the neutral or middle position on the site. Now you need to actively choose which setting to compare, but by default it shows in the slackest setting, which would cause a shorter reach.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know the reason why the geometry from 2017 to 2018 has changed? Reach seems to be shorter than last year...
The Website for 2018 defaults to showing the geometry for the slackest ride 9 position. The 2018 frame is the same as the 2017 one, reach is the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I see that but if you compare steep to steep it shows reach has decreased along with the head tube angle. It's no longer 70 anymore it's 69.8. I doubt anyone will feel that but still interesting to see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2.35 tire on front and 2.2 tire on back maybe equals 0.2 degrees less
Hmmm I didn't notice that, good catch. Another interesting thing...they are now spec'ing a 100mm fork on the "XCO" version when they said that the frame geo would be too low with a 100mm fork.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hmmm I didn't notice that, good catch. Another interesting thing...they are now spec'ing a 100mm fork on the "XCO" version when they said that the frame geo would be too low with a 100mm fork.
Not exactly....That version comes with an adapter at the lower headset cup that corrects for the reduced fork Axle-to-crown length to keep the HT angle the same. I knew a couple of guys who got those from Rocky last year for the same reason!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts