Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a brand new 2018 Cannondale Bad Habit Carbon 1 for half MSRP. I'm fairly new into mountain biking and was wondering what your thoughts are on whether this is a good deal and a good bike? Any feedback is helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Most bikes are good, the trick is finding a very good match for you. My 5 feet 11 very long legs might fit a bike that is terrible for you. Idealy a 90 minutes test to find A- does it fit you? Is it the personality you look for? Should you ask the shop to modify the transmission? What is your present bike?....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most bikes are good, the trick is finding a very good match for you. My 5 feet 11 very long legs might fit a bike that is terrible for you. Idealy a 90 minutes test to find A- does it fit you? Is it the personality you look for? Should you ask the shop to modify the transmission? What is your present bike?....
Right now I'm just using my bro's much too small bike. My worry about this bike is that even if it is a great deal, perhaps, to your point, it isn't the best fit for me. Riding it felt good, but it did seem like there was a little too much strain on my traps/shoulders - but perhaps that's normal or can be fixed easily with a riser bar. And I can't trust the people at the bike shop because they seemed to be more interested in moving an old product than seeing if it was actually the right bike for me.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Right now I'm just using my bro's much too small bike. My worry about this bike is that even if it is a great deal, perhaps, to your point, it isn't the best fit for me. Riding it felt good, but it did seem like there was a little too much strain on my traps/shoulders - but perhaps that's normal or can be fixed easily with a riser bar. And I can't trust the people at the bike shop because they seemed to be more interested in moving an old product than seeing if it was actually the right bike for me.
Some bikes can be improved like you mentioned a different bar, different stem, different saddle position. Maybe a friend, neighbor could go with you. Here we have 15% tx so i would lose even if i resell in a month. If you often do 60 min or less a little off is not that bad. If you buy a 4-6 years old bike 900$ you can sell 800$ next april. This one you will loose 500$? Last december i had a similar deal but having a mountain bike allready i knew i could tweak it for me. If you keep it 2 years or more it will be a good deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some bikes can be improved like you mentioned a different bar, different stem, different saddle position. Maybe a friend, neighbor could go with you. Here we have 15% tx so i would lose even if i resell in a month. If you often do 60 min or less a little off is not that bad. If you buy a 4-6 years old bike 900$ you can sell 800$ next april. This one you will loose 500$? Last december i had a similar deal but having a mountain bike allready i knew i could tweak it for me. If you keep it 2 years or more it will be a good deal.
Yeah, I'm thinking that the worse case scenario is that I don't use it as often as I'd like or the riding position is just too aggressive for me and I resell it with a few hundred dollar loss. The bike is half priced, which seems like it's taken most of the depreciation out of it. It may be worth a long term demo of it, and if I don't like it, sell it and consider that the "rental" price of the bike.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that the worse case scenario is that I don't use it as often as I'd like or the riding position is just too aggressive for me and I resell it with a few hundred dollar loss. The bike is half priced, which seems like it's taken most of the depreciation out of it. It may be worth a long term demo of it, and if I don't like it, sell it and consider that the "rental" price of the bike.
Ya it makes sense if you like the transmission and the suspension. Some bars rise 50, 80 mm so you have room to improve. Also going narrow helps if you feel stretched.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.