Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

421 - 440 of 465 Posts

·
Norðwegr
1,908 Posts
Cheers for the reply!

Well, in a perfect world I'd keep my v2 Prime and buy a Titan as well, or sell the Prime and get a Titan and Phantom, but I don't have the $$$ :(
Doesn't that just mean that you have the perfect bike until you do have the cash for two? ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I kept the prime for my son to ride. I think it comes down what kind of riding your really doing for what kind of bike you need. My ankles and wrists were getting sore so I went longer travel .

·
Registered
454 Posts
RE Dropout/Frame

Over a year in high position. Frame and Dropout have more then missing paint on the pinch point. About .5mm ding/missing material on frame and dropout. (rotor side)
Noticed a bunch of smudged paint on that side from dropout movement. Everything was tight but obviously things are moving a bit because of interference. I probably over torqued that side to get rid of click noises.
Figure I’ll file dropout so it doesn’t pinch near frame weld and fully tightens properly without jankie fit.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Anyone played around with an angle headset in the Prime?

Comparing the V2 to V3 geo, they look pretty similar (if you compare XL v2 to a L v3) aside from the head angle.

Considering slackening by a degree, but curious if anyone else had experimented already and what their thoughts were.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
go all the way in.
I have a -1,5 deg Angleset on my v1 Prime with 150 fork.
just tune your weight more on the bars pushing saddle ahead and you still get a great climbing machine besides even better descender.

·
Registered
454 Posts
After reading most observations on rear end/shock, I kind of feel I’m looking for the opposite.

I like 13-14mm sag with climb switch on firm for the up. Middle is OK and when open, I’m only using about 55-60% of travel. Often use more travel on the climbs then the down. If I set sag at around 16mm I get close to what I like on the DH but everything else feel slow dead and spongy.
If I ride normal bike designed trails then 14.5-15mm sag is fine and I can blow 90% travel on the flowy stuff with G-Outs at higher speeds.

Problem is, what I like to ride is more off the beaten path stuff. Steep climbs, like grinding 28t ring, 46T rear and wishing for more bailout. Unfortunately more hike a bike, but that my problem.
Downs are often steep chunk, like soccer ball and smaller loose rock. Narrow, bushy and not that fast. Smaller ledge drops, like under 2’ and a bunch of downed logs and crap.

Shock is 2017/18 Monarch Plus RT3 (L/L) I believe its functioning properly.

Me: Fluctuate between 157-163 lbs., probably 170 kitted(?) I should actually way myself in gear.

Basically looking for something more tune-able to get more linear with top end support, it could be a switch if need be. Rather something with more external adjustability vs chasing custom work.

Wasting my time upgrading to DebonAir so I can play with air volume?
DBcoil IL and give coil a try?

Downs are 2000’ rougher/slower, possibly don’t need piggy back if that opens up options?

I have a bad habit of saving my free time for long bonk ride vs a bunch of shorter rides. It would be cool to turn some dials and knobs to get a bit of Cadillac with some support when I’m gassed. If wallowing is a compromise in those settings, then fine.
Rather not carry a pump, that's about the only way to make Monarch work for me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fox DPX2. I think I set my sag at 15.5mm.Adjust the LSC to your liking for climbing. I always left mine open, however, you can play with the compression levers to suit. J

·
Registered
454 Posts
For what it's worth, I set my sag dropper down sitting on back of saddle. Way more rear then I ride. 14mm sag is me @ 160lb and 145psi.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If I failed to describe what I'm looking for and you have insight, ask me questions if willing.
Utah Wasatch front, if I road "world class" Park City brown carpet stuff bike would travel fine.
Basically trying to get more plush for Backcountry hiking trails on longer rides without squatting to hell on the flats and ups. Maybe it's impossible on the downs because everything is front heavy and slower.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You are describing a spring topic, not a damping one. I would open the air can and remove as much tokens as possible. This will make your bike more linear without affecting your climbing setup. If already all tokens are removed - readjust your riding style ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
After reading most observations on rear end/shock, I kind of feel I’m looking for the opposite.

I like 13-14mm sag with climb switch on firm for the up. Middle is OK and when open, I’m only using about 55-60% of travel. Often use more travel on the climbs then the down. If I set sag at around 16mm I get close to what I like on the DH but everything else feel slow dead and spongy.
If I ride normal bike designed trails then 14.5-15mm sag is fine and I can blow 90% travel on the flowy stuff with G-Outs at higher speeds.

Problem is, what I like to ride is more off the beaten path stuff. Steep climbs, like grinding 28t ring, 46T rear and wishing for more bailout. Unfortunately more hike a bike, but that my problem.
Downs are often steep chunk, like soccer ball and smaller loose rock. Narrow, bushy and not that fast. Smaller ledge drops, like under 2’ and a bunch of downed logs and crap.

Shock is 2017/18 Monarch Plus RT3 (L/L) I believe its functioning properly.

Me: Fluctuate between 157-163 lbs., probably 170 kitted(?) I should actually way myself in gear.

Basically looking for something more tune-able to get more linear with top end support, it could be a switch if need be. Rather something with more external adjustability vs chasing custom work.

Wasting my time upgrading to DebonAir so I can play with air volume?
DBcoil IL and give coil a try?

Downs are 2000’ rougher/slower, possibly don’t need piggy back if that opens up options?

I have a bad habit of saving my free time for long bonk ride vs a bunch of shorter rides. It would be cool to turn some dials and knobs to get a bit of Cadillac with some support when I’m gassed. If wallowing is a compromise in those settings, then fine.
Rather not carry a pump, that's about the only way to make Monarch work for me.
This was my experience with the Monarch as well. I changed to DVO Topaz since I had good results with the shock on my Rune. The Topaz kicks butt!! Very plush but also supportive - where the Monarch could only be one or the other in my experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This was my experience with the Monarch as well. I changed to DVO Topaz since I had good results with the shock on my Rune. The Topaz kicks butt!! Very plush but also supportive - where the Monarch could only be one or the other in my experience.
I feel I'm having a similar experience with the monarch plus on my Prime. I've been trying to read in the RC3 shim thread on how I could soften the HSC by removing or replacing a shim but I'm still at a bit of a loss on that.

Also at 230lbs and I haven't had luck before with a debonair can and having to have it at max psi and it still ends up at 35% sag, but I'm almost ready to try one and see if it is what I need as I'd rather not buy a new shock.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Honestly - I would look into the DVO Topaz. You can probably find a lightly used one for less than 400 bucks (there is one on PinkBike in Vermont for $200 that fits the Prime**).

Looking at the DVO site - they have suggested settings for riders between 230-250 lbs. Another benefit is that if the default valving is not quite perfect for your weight, DVO will likely provide a suggested shim stack to help get you sorted. Instead of relying on hearsay in a forum, you would get the exact shim sizes from the DVO team.

·
Registered
454 Posts
DVO had a good sale a week or so ago, bummer. think it was $349 or somthing.

Probably try the Suntour free demo just to see.

The "2017 Banshee Build" Thread also has some relevant info for others looking at stuff like this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I still have a job but it could go away. This claped out k2 has been sitting in the garage for years. I think the shock will fit.:madmax:
IMG_20200505_203043093.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
I feel I'm having a similar experience with the monarch plus on my Prime. I've been trying to read in the RC3 shim thread on how I could soften the HSC by removing or replacing a shim but I'm still at a bit of a loss on that.

Also at 230lbs and I haven't had luck before with a debonair can and having to have it at max psi and it still ends up at 35% sag, but I'm almost ready to try one and see if it is what I need as I'd rather not buy a new shock.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I weigh 220+/- and got good results with a Vorsprung Tractive Tune of my Monarch RC3+ with Debonair. No problems running it between 25-30% sag. Compared to the stock RS shock the tune gives much better mid-stroke support, improved square-edge hits and ramps up nicely with 1-3 bands (depends on where I'm riding and how big the jumps and drops are haha). Before I was running closer to 25% regularly to get some mid-stroke support and reduce bottom out. Added bonus of the trail and climb settings being FAR better than standard too - you actually want to use them they're that good. Seriously, I was blown away by how much better they are haha

I see a few others suggesting a Topaz. I've never ridden a Topaz myself, but a mate had one on a 2016 Reign and he loved it. I nearly got one instead of the custom-tune, but the tune saved about $250, so I went that option. If you can source a Topaz, I wouldn't hesitate on that either.

421 - 440 of 465 Posts