Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my enduro bike my 36 fork has maybe a half inch of dead space when I lift up on the bars ....it is very noticable when riding it as well. Any time I lift up like to do a wheelie the fork extends...

I have been told that the damper needs to be bled? Also heard that there is air trapped in the stanchion...so put a zip tie down the dust wiper to release that extra air.

Just curious to know if anyone else has had this experience.

The only thing I have done was remove one of the volume spacers..

Should I just have the shock serviced?

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. I do plan on contacting Fox tomorrow...

·
Registered
87 Posts
When you removed all of the air from the air spring side, did you do it slowly and cycle the fork often in order to equalize the positive and negative air chambers and get all of the air out? Also when you pumped the fork back up did you do the same thing approximately every 10 psi or so up to your desired pressure? If not it definitely sounds like you have a pressure imbalance between the pos/neg sides of the air spring and it's pretty easy to fix. First thing you should try would be to SLOWLY let all the air back out but as you do, cycle your fork through it's travel several times every 10 or so PSI until it's completely empty of air. Then pump it back up repeating the process.. this allows the two sides of the air spring to equalize and should get rid of your dead space.
If that doesn't work then you likely have far too much grease gunked up into your air spring from the factory (super common and lots of threads on this) and you'll need to completely remove the air spring and clean it up and use some of the removed grease to lightly re-grease it properly. Too much grease can prevent the positive and negative chambers from equalizing properly. The process of doing this is pretty easy as well and minimal tools are needed.. below I'll link the video that I used as reference the first time I did this.. just disregard the grip 2 damper install part and skip directly to the sections that are relevant to you (fork lowers removal, air spring removal and then re-installation). You'll need some fork oil and crush washers at the minimum for this.. the fox 36 seal kit will come with everything you need besides the oil.

Fox's fork oil chart: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=884
Seal kit:(make sure you get the 36mm one) https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Shox-...vad=55963_d16a8da8d&rpi=41227&utm_medium=AVLK

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Do a lowers service and take out the massive gobs of slick honey they put in the air side so air can move through the equalizing channel. Also clean out this channel. You can put the slick honey (which is just Slickoleum) into a can and use it on the next lowers service.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,129 Posts
I've had this occur. I sent my Fox fork (a 2014 32 TALAS) back to Fox for service. Got it back in as-new, factory condition 10 days later. Fox stands behind all their work. I'd send it in when you can.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys....I tried letting it out and put it back in while cycling the shock every 10psi or so....still have that gap.

Hopefully I can get the lowers done at my LBS this week.

V1 that video was awesome and if I had the time and tools I would try it for sure...so straight forward and easy to follow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.