Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 100 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Man I wish I waited to buy my top fuel. One reason I went with the 2016 was the rockshox hydraulic remote was so much easier to use than the fox I used on the Orbea. I knew the 2017's were weeks away, but when the store sayd $4K instead of $5K, I jumped. Now I see the 2017 has Fox suspension, which I prefer, and carbon seatpost/rims/cranks. All things I want to upgrade next year. But, I wouldn't have gotten such a good deal on a 2017, and with the $200 price increase, I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway. But still, this 2017 fox remote is nice looking.
Yeah, that's always a bummer. Late season deals are great and you got a solid one at that price. It's always a small gamble when you don't know if the potential changes will be in your favor or not.

But they sure upgraded the 9.8 in ways I like. The Fox suspension and inclusion of Re:aktiv is something I like most. If it performs like a snapper version of my 2016 Fuel EX, I will be very happy.

Coupled with that is the cable actuated suspension remote that I like better than the RS hydro for maintenance.

All the new carbon is nice too as the bike appears to be lighter this year because of it.

I never used to be a Trek guy, but the way they have stepped up in the last few years, they have won me over (for road and MTB).

·
Registered
49 Posts
So the Fox Fork that is supposedly coming with my 2017 Trek TF 9.9 RSL model is a step cast and will be limited from what i'm gathering to 100mm. I'll have to report back how it feels with 100mm. Sucks that i would have to purchase new fox fork 2017 model but that is 3 position lockout. Would that interfere with the rear shock only being 2 position?

·
Registered
520 Posts
So the Fox Fork that is supposedly coming with my 2017 Trek TF 9.9 RSL model is a step cast and will be limited from what i'm gathering to 100mm. I'll have to report back how it feels with 100mm. Sucks that i would have to purchase new fox fork 2017 model but that is 3 position lockout. Would that interfere with the rear shock only being 2 position?
When is ETA of delivery for the RSL 2017? Mid Sept?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Delivery is at the end of this month according to what I saw on the computer at my local Trek Shop when I placed the order. 8/28 or around there.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I ordered a 9.8 SL on Thursday and will check delivery date estimate tomorrow. Might well be different than the 9.9 for comparison.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ordered a 9.8 SL on Thursday and will check delivery date estimate tomorrow. Might well be different than the 9.9 for comparison.
Nice! sounds good. I ordered my bike on the 5th of this month. I'll call them on the 26th if I don't hear anything before then.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Anybody have firsthand knowledge whether the new 2.4" XR3 tire fits front or rear on the new TF (or ProCaliber, for that matter)?

As far as lockouts go, having them "ganged" together is a mixed blessing. I raced for a few years with remote lockouts, and finally settled on preferring fork only. The problem with that approach is that you can't just simply replace the rear shock's remote mechanism with a lever. It's actually a slightly different shock body (or at least it was two years ago).

It turns out that there are a LOT of situations where I prefer to ride with the rear firmed up, but the fork fully open......but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As I mentioned either in this thread or the other, the rear shock is a three position shock supplied with a two position remote. This is verified with fox to work with a three position remote for the middle setting. Trek assumed a racer only wants open and "closed". The question I laid out to new stepcast forks is whether they also are three position optional. The shifter as pictured, the plasticky looking shifter is what came on my RSL frame. I have yet to try three position by hooking it to my front fork (13 upgraded to 16 factory fit4 internals) which already has that remote.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just picked her up. Will have to wait until tomorrow to get her dirty. From what I can tell so far, I'm going to love this bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Anybody have firsthand knowledge whether the new 2.4" XR3 tire fits front or rear on the new TF (or ProCaliber, for that matter)?

As far as lockouts go, having them "ganged" together is a mixed blessing. I raced for a few years with remote lockouts, and finally settled on preferring fork only. The problem with that approach is that you can't just simply replace the rear shock's remote mechanism with a lever. It's actually a slightly different shock body (or at least it was two years ago).

It turns out that there are a LOT of situations where I prefer to ride with the rear firmed up, but the fork fully open......but maybe that's just me.
Can't imagine the 2.4 being an issue on the Procaliber. The 2.3 XR1 has plenty of clearance at both ends.

Curious to see what the new XR1 runs like compared to the old version for both grip and rolling resistance. Currently thinking of putting a set of Schwalbe Big Ones for road use and using my Rmemdy wheels for when I ride trails. The new XR1 would be a good compromise if it rolls a little better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
anybody who has this bike get a stock weight on 2017 Top Fuel 9.8 SL? wondering how much/ if weight loss there will be with carbon cranks and carbon wheels.

thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For my 2017 TF 9.8 SL after two rides, I switched to the XR3 2.3 on the front. Much better handling and worth the money.

The bike shop told me my 21.5 was 25 pounds before I added pedals.

I ordered my bike on Sunday and it came in on Thursday. The Trek warehouse was 2-3 shipping days away from my bike shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
My short list for new xc race bike includes the TF 9.8 and the as yet to be in shops and who knows how much it will cost revamped Scott Spark. Yeti ASRc is on it as well. It's a good list. Seems to include some quality options.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This picture by BubbaElrod of the Dual Remote lockout is correct.
The remote lockout however is terrible... one need quite a force to push it, then it does not catch properly in the locked position.
Long story short, my was delivered with broken lockout (broke the day I was accepting a new bike). The mechanic told me he was already requesting a replacement for 2 other bikes for this lockout!! is anyone in Fox testing these before they release it this is not coincidence !
I hope the replacement if different style. This all plastic only part would probably brake again very soon...

·
Registered
313 Posts
That is horrible, was expecting the fox remote shown above. Will replace it with a DT Swiss 3 position remote.
Can you post a picture of the DT Swiss dual lockout and do you know is it fully compatible with the Fox one on 2017 TF 9.8 (picture by BubbaElrod).
Also what other options there are ? From Fox? and other...

81 - 100 of 469 Posts