Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2017 Sync'r Pro a couple of weeks ago, and finally got some time to put it together. The '17 model has Shimano XT shifting and a KS eten-i dropper. I'm 5'10" and went with a medium. Weight on my bathroom scale is 30.5 lbs. with the provided platform pedals.

20161229_032506.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats krl80. Awesome looking bike!

Few questions on the spec.

What's the travel on the FOX forks.

How long is the stem and how wide are the bars? Does the 2017 model still come with the RaceFace Aeffect bars?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice bike! I'm going back and forth between a Sync'r Pro and a Mason Pro. At 5'7" with a 29" inseam I was planning on a mediun to acheive the top tube length I wanted. Interesting you went with a medium at your height. Can you post a picture of the bike with the seat positioned at your ride height?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SentiRyder, the bars are 35mm Aeffect 760mm wide with 20mm rise, stem is house brand 52mm long as measured(50mm listed), and the fork is 130mm travel. I just checked Diamondback's site and they updated the specs to match the 2017 model build. Cranks are Aeffect 175mm for medium frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This pic is with the dropper all the way up. It's set now so my leg is just about straight with my heel on the pedal. I haven't ridden it yet, but it feels like a good height to start with. I could go a little higher with the post and still have enough room when its down. My inseam is 31-32".

I come from more of a bmx background so I prefer to be on a smaller frame, and this medium feels fine for me. It has more room than my medium 07 hardrock, which felt a little tight at times, due to the longer top tube.

20161230_130753.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
I come from more of a bmx background so I prefer to be on a smaller frame, and this medium feels fine for me. It has more room than my medium 07 hardrock, which felt a little tight at times, due to the longer top tube.
Awesome thanks for the reply on the specs krl80. I also come from a bmx background and that's why I go with a smaller frame. Ride your new sync'r and let us know how the beast handles!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the updated picture showing the seat height and bar position. Looks like I will be close with the dropper post length speced on the medium. It appears you have a few inches to lower the seatpost. I hope it goes low enough from my 29" inseam. The 125mm head tube had me concered too but it looks like it would be fine with a few spacers removed. Worst case I could swap to a flat bat with no rise. Nice bike with a great build, ride report please!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could still lower the seatpost 1.75", and there's 1.25" of spacers, so I bet you'd be ok.

There's snow and ice on the trails now, so it's gonna be a while untill I get out. It's tough walking by it and not being able to ride, I might have to hide it lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just bought the same bike and thought I'd give some sizing info and initial impressions. I've only done one ride, so take this with a grain of salt.

I'm a bit over 5'9" with a 31" pants inseam and a 32.5" cycling inseam. I bought the medium. This bike has a long top tube for the size. At the middle of the top tube, I measure the standover at over 31", significantly higher than the measurement on the website, which I think is at the BB. I have 7.5" of exposed seatpost to the bottom of the clamp with a saddle height of ~29" from the BB.

Overall, I feel as if either the medium or the large would have worked for me, I went with the medium as the wheelbase on the large felt a bit unwieldy in tight turns. YMMV.

Riding around, this is definitely a trail bike. I've only ever had XC bikes previously, so this feels extremely different. The chainstays are very short so the bike manuals easily and carves turns at speed. The front end is waaaay out in front with the slack head angle. This makes the bike somewhat tricky when taking slow, tight turns but makes descending very easy. The bars are also very wide (for me) which contributes to the trickiness of slow turns. This is all a new experience for me but is likely typical for this type of bike. I feel like I have to relearn how to ride a bit as what used to feel very sketchy downhill now feels easy and the front end wants to rise on very steep climbs. It's just different for me.

The frame is very tough. Massive hydroformed tubes, lots of heavy gusseting and reinforcement. This is a bike that's meant to take a beating. The Fox fork is a revelation, so supple and effective. I had a Recon previously and this blows it away (admittedly, it's a much more expensive fork). The dropper seems a bit sticky but has improved over time, it now pops up with a clunk.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where does the dropper cable exit the frame? Can you share a picture? Thanks, I might be looking to drill mine out for an internal dropper.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Where does the dropper cable exit the frame? Can you share a picture? Thanks, I might be looking to drill mine out for an internal dropper.
Back of the seat tube, about an inch above the bottom bracket. It's then wrapped around the bottom of the BB and along the bottom of the down tube.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with hiro11. I've got 5 rides on mine and its definitely a fun bike to ride. I got used to the slack geo and longer wheelbase after 1 ride, now it feels great.

Unfortunately, my dropper started sagging after 4 rides, but I was able to change out the cartridge for $38 so it's back to normal. I weigh 190, so maybe it couldn't hack it. I'll see how the second one holds up. No problems otherwise.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Additional impressions after dailing in the position and shock and doing a few more singletrack rides:

1. The frame on this bike is extraordinarily stiff and unyielding. Seriously, the frame is a bridge truss. This makes climbing extremely efficient feeling. There is zero bottom bracket or rear end flex. However, the stiffness means the bike rides a bit harshly over roots and rocks if you run more than 30 psi. I haven't gone tubeless yet (I will this weekend), after converting, I'll run these at 25 psi max. There's essentially no room for much wider tires, I'd love to be able to get 2.5s on this.
2. This bike loves berms, lean it over and it carves.
3. I definitely need to get more used to the front end wandering on steep climbs. You need to keep your weight forward to avoid lifting the front end.
4. In this 1x setup, XT-8000 requires precise adjustment of the RD to run smoothly, on the order of a quarter turn of the barrel adjuster. I've got it locked now. No issues with the chain coming off the narrow/wide.
5. The Vigilante tires are terrific on dry singletrack. Grip for days and very fast rolling. As a bonus, they also make a sweet ripping noise. I like them a lot.
6. The Deore brakes are awesome, especially given the price point. I honestly can't tell the difference between these and the much more expensive Guide RS I have on another bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
krl80 & hiro11 congrats on the new bike! how much did you guys get it for?

By the time i saw the sales, all the sizes are gone except XS.

It's a completely tricked out hardtail with a great stealth look!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts