Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Does anyone have a list or a schematic of the bearings used in the 2017 Stumpjumper FSR's suspension? I have a friend who would need a new set and it doesn't make sense to buy an overpriced kit from the Specialized dealer if it's possible to buy at least as good a set separately for less money.

In any case, looking around it's hard to get a bearing kit for the 2017 Stumpjumper anyway, only found one for an older model.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,212 Posts
You just need the bearing sizes, you can order them individually from SKF or similar high quality bearing supplier. Beware, decent bearings aren't dirt cheap (not crazy expensive either), but there are often POS dirt cheap ones online too. 6086 bearings are quite common for mountain bikes, type that to google search and ebay to start learning about bearings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You just need the bearing sizes, you can order them individually from SKF or similar high quality bearing supplier. Beware, decent bearings aren't dirt cheap (not crazy expensive either), but there are often POS dirt cheap ones online too. 6086 bearings are quite common for mountain bikes, type that to google search and ebay to start learning about bearings.
And because i just need the bearing sizes is exactly the reason why i asked, in the first sentence, if anybody has a list of the bearings used.

How much does the "expensive" OEM kit from Specialized cost? Real World Cycling has the kit (Enduro max complement bearings) for 80 bucks
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKSPE27.html

Isn't the 2017 model the same as 2016?
https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000056004_R2.pdf
I'm from Europe and i can't find it. Bike24 has a lot of Specialized kits, but not for this generation of Stumpy.

The 2016 is the same as 2017, yeah, and i later found that PDF, so i'm covered. As for the kit vs. separate bearings, the kit is ~100 € as far as i can tell (in Europe), while it will cost me ~70 € with shipping (so actually 60-ish) for a full set of 16 max complement bearings for all pivots. Only the BB pivot is a full complement type in the original kit. And a full complement bearing is roughly four times the price of a standard bearing, both for the 6800 and 6801 that are needed for the stumpy. Going with standard bearings as per spec, the kit would cost 40 € plus shipping. The prices are from Kugellager express.

So for anyone looking for a quick fix, the Stumpjumper in the 2016/2017 gen requires:
-2x6802 MAX fill bearings (BB pivot)
-4x6801 bearings (2 per side on the chainstay/rear axle pivot)
-2x6800 bearings (rocker-to-front triangle pivot)
-4x6800 bearings (2 per side on the seatstay to rocker pivot)
-4x6801 bearings (2 per side on the rocker to shock yoke pivot)

EDIT: as note below, all bearings are full complement bearings in OEM spec.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, I'm from Europe too, but I was lucky to buy Enduro MAX complement bearings from RWC when I was in the States. They have good prices for full kits (though the 2016/17 SJ kit is a bit more expensive).
You can buy individual Enduro MAX BO complement bearings from Bike24 too, but it's a bit more expensive than RWC (on the other hand, you'd pay extra shipping and VAT/duty if you import to Europe from RWC).
Kugellager is ok (I bought headset bearings from them), but I'd rather use complement bearings for all the pivots unless you find that too expensive. Spec. should use complement bearings too everywhere not just for the BB pivot, but I guess they can cut production costs with regular bearings

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI regarding full complement bearings, they are all full complement in OEM spec, even if the document doesn't say so.

I swapped out the two BB pivot bearings and cleaned out (as best as i could) and regreased the rest on my friends bike and so far so good. Should last him a few more weeks :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My previous generation SJ FSR (2014 model) had complement bearings from the factory, but I replaced them with Enduro Black Oxide ones.

Regreasing is always an option if the bearings balls and the races are still in good condition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts