Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, as title states: I am under no delusion that it will ever be a "light" bike, I am by no means "light" myself. but I got very jealous when i picked up a fellow riders sb4.5 the other day, I know sb is a different ballgame but it got me wondering if I could possibly cut weight somewhere. input appreciated
large frame

Frame: Carbon with alloy rear triangle
Fork: RockShox Lyrik RC Solo Air
Rear shock: RockShox Monarch Plus
Wheels: Roval Traverse 29 alloy Front. Stans Flow S1 rear
Tyres: Bontrager SE4 Team Issue TLR MTB(f/r)
Drivetrain: SRAM GX with RaceFace Aeffect crank
Chainring: 28T
cassette:shimano 11-46/ wolftooth 49 expander
Brakes: SRAM Guide R 200mm/180mm (f/r)
Seatpost: brand x 150mm dropper post
Saddle: chromag dt
Handlebar: Specialized DH, 7050 alloy, 780mm, 27mm Rise, 8° Backsweep
Stem: Specialized Trail
grips : chromag
(pic is from last year when i had minions on it but I found them a bit slower than I wanted)
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Howdy, as title states: I am under no delusion that it will ever be a "light" bike, I am by no means "light" myself. but I got very jealous when i picked up a fellow riders sb4.5 the other day, I know sb is a different ballgame but it got me wondering if I could possibly cut weight somewhere. input appreciated
large frame

Frame: Carbon with alloy rear triangle
Fork: RockShox Lyrik RC Solo Air
Rear shock: RockShox Monarch Plus
Wheels: Roval Traverse 29 alloy Front. Stans Flow S1 rear
Tyres: Bontrager SE4 Team Issue TLR MTB(f/r)
Drivetrain: SRAM GX with RaceFace Aeffect crank
Chainring: 28T
cassette:shimano 11-46/ wolftooth 49 expander
Brakes: SRAM Guide R 200mm/180mm (f/r)
Seatpost: brand x 150mm dropper post
Saddle: chromag dt
Handlebar: Specialized DH, 7050 alloy, 780mm, 27mm Rise, 8° Backsweep
Stem: Specialized Trail
grips : chromag
(pic is from last year when i had minions on it but I found them a bit slower than I wanted)
Carbon wheels
Control Casing Specialized tires
Carbon bars
ditch the dropper -install carbon seat post
XTR components where possible

You didn't mention the type of diet you're after for the bike but thta's a bunch of stuff that is lighter. LOL

Probably not as fun without the dropper. If you ride too much rocky terrain you may cut a tire more quickly than a heavier sidewall.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
forestrider yes - dropper is a must in the rockies where i live. its all up or down, never flat.
I do have a complete m8000 xt drivetrain I was thinking of swapping over from my Heckler.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
That Yeti is an XC bike? Not really an apples and apples comparison. But yeah, the usual places. First place to start is your wallet!
I have an older Enduro that's bang on 13kg. But it has small wheels, and the only carbon bit are the handlebars.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
First, it's a rad bike, but all you can do is incrementally make it lighter and it's not going to be particularly cheap. Obviously getting rid of a dropper on an Enduro bike is absurd!

You just have to look at each item one by one and shop for a component that meets your needs but saves weight too, likely at no small cost. That bike does have a lot of midgrade components weighing it down. Lighter weight Chinese wheels are going to be your biggest gain for the money and also being rotating weight very noticeable. I also find weight up high that moves a lot (i.e. seat, dropper, bars, grips) very noticeable.

Wheels well chosen CF with 321 hubs for instance), bars (CF Renthals for instance), grips (Renthal glue on), KS Lev Ci dropper, CF Alibaba seat. It adds up in the money, but also the feel of the bike adds up.

My opinion however is that the not particularly great pedaling of the Enduro is more of a hindrance. If you ride where locking out the shock for long climbs is no big deal than scratch that.

I have a Foxy 29 L which is a very lightweight frame even though it's as large as most XLs. I shop carefully for lightweight parts that can take Enduro/ light DH conditions. Sometimes I have to spend a lot (i.e. Renthal bars, Enve Stem, 321 hubs, Lev Ci dropper) and some lightweight parts are very cheap (i.e. glue on grips, China CF rims, Alibaba cf seat which happens to be better than my $300 seat).

The bike as it sits currently is 28.2#s and that weight includes real tires, tire noodles front and rear, 175mm dropper, Avy cartridges front and rear, and pedals (before bash guard pedals, and tools are added). I'm building new wheels with braided spokes and the entire new wheel build should get the bike another 1# lighter which is an absurd weight for a bike like this. I think I can get it under 30# 100% ready to ride (tools on board as well) When I ride other bikes they feel quite heavy and I think I have an advantage because of this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I finally got around to weighing everything during teardown and rebuild/scavenge build.
Here are the results:

caveat: I am currengly waiting for a set of carbon wheels to arrive, should save about 300-350grams from rotating weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.