Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to service my rear shock, but I have stripped the upper mounting bolt. The 2 lower bolts came out very easily, but the single upper bolt seems to be seized.

I first used a T25. That seemed to be the correct size, but it stripped pretty quickly. I then hammered in a 4.5 hex wrench. The 8" long wrench was bending in my hand without cracking the bolt loose. I then switched to a socket/ratchet and using a lot more pressure than seemed reasonable,,,it finally stripped completely.

Does anyone have experience with this bolt? Can you offer advice on how to remove it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
They are almost always loose so it shouldn’t be that tight. Unless you red Loctite it they always loosen because that upper mount has too much rotation to not be a bearing. The correct size tool is T30. If you are using the tool from the non-drive side you need to turn it to the right to loosen the bolt. Heating the rocker link with a heat gun will help some

If the T30 doesn’t get it out you’ll likely have to drill it. You should be able to do it with a regular drill bit if you go from the non-drive side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted Scott, and as you said, it is a reverse thread. I goofed up. I'm just glad that I know which way to turn it now.

I'll leave this up in case anyone searches the topic in the future. Hopefully they see this before stripping the head.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.