Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rebuilding the fork, figured I'd throw in an upgrade while I've got it apart.

The DebonAir air spring upgrade, or the vorsprung luftkappe?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have neither at the moment, but I am eyeing the debonair air spring upgrade. With the air spring upgrade, you will also get the lower friction seals (if you believe the marketing hype) in addition to the larger negative volume. That's actually more important to me than the volume increase.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Also, the debonair spring doesn't reduce the positive chamber. I believe it's like running 2 tokens with the Luftkappe. If that matters....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not to mention it seems Debonair is about half the price and comes with shaft. That would make it about 1/3 of the price for me since I wanted to up the travel to 150mm.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I just had a luftkappe installed in my new 2017 pike today by fullflow suspension, auburn ca. Havent ridden it yet.. stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Luftkappe is very, very good, installed it to 2014 Pike and it is like completely different fork now. Pressure is upped 20 psi but still it is very sensitive, and rides high.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm in a similar position. I know the Luftkappe is supposed to be a great upgrade, but the question is whether the Debonair upgrade is as good, or better. I too had been planning to go Luftkappe, but might just go for the new Debonair kit instead.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wonder what it is that makes them claim the Luftkappe performs better? More negative volume? I've followed all the "I hate my pike" threads that place blame on the damper and the Push ACS3 threads where Darren posted dyno plots showing the dampers aren't really at fault (the high seal friction is what causes the harshness).

I need to do something about my MY18 Pike....just not sure which solution to try. I'm hoping I choose wisely and pick the best solution on my first attempt.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I wonder what it is that makes them claim the Luftkappe performs better? More negative volume? I've followed all the "I hate my pike" threads that place blame on the damper and the Push ACS3 threads where Darren posted dyno plots showing the dampers aren't really at fault (the high seal friction is what causes the harshness).

I need to do something about my MY18 Pike....just not sure which solution to try. I'm hoping I choose wisely and pick the best solution on my first attempt.
The damper is 90% of the problem with charger 1 and only about 50% of the problem with charger 2.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

here is my take for my 2018 lyrik debonair vs a 150 (a1-a2 w/ all updates) pike w/ luftkappe. I realize it isn't apples to apples but its all I got. my friends luftkappe pike I would say still has slightly less breakaway force, very very close but I would have to say the luftkappe is still marginally more willing to move, probably most noticeable when trying to climb a tech section. So that is a positive for the luftkappe. However the luftkappe is noticeable more progressive, my friend is having trouble getting full travel now and to the point that he is lowering air pressure, so I'm not so sure how much mid stroke he is losing since he is now dropping pressure to compensate for the added progressiveness.

now my 2018 lyrik with 2019 debonair upgrade only has one ride but I can say I am pretty dang happy. The breakaway force is slightly less noticeable stationary vs stock (its noticeable I just don't want to overstate it). However riding it is definitely noticeable vs stock and when going into steep sections while on the brake the mid stroke support is very noticeable. All this while not being overly progressive and still used travel.

So my take is if you are very aggressive and can use the travel with 2+ tokens over stock setup then the luftkappe will most likely work very well for you since you'll get great beginning stroke sensitive with the progressiveness you already have. If your not as aggressive like me then the debonair is a great in between.

I'm betting a luftkappe version 2 is in the works with a dome 1/2 as high will be coming for the debonair.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Perfect timing... looking at extending the travel on my 2018 pike and was thinking about the new air spring so this thread is good to read and compare...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
I lowered my lyrik to 130 tonight with the 2019 air spring and it is a noticeable difference. I might actually get to add some lsc now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a debonair air spring coming for my 2015 Pike on Thursday. Don't have Luftkappe to compare to but can give a report after it's installed. I ride a Santa Cruz 5010 C at 140 lbs and have to run basically no rebound or LSC damping and 40 psi to keep Pike from feeling harsh so hoping this helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a debonair air spring coming for my 2015 Pike on Thursday. Don't have Luftkappe to compare to but can give a report after it's installed. I ride a Santa Cruz 5010 C at 140 lbs and have to run basically no rebound or LSC damping and 40 psi to keep Pike from feeling harsh so hoping this helps.
I'm interested in your feedback. I weigh the same and have the exact same issues as you. I'm hoping the new air shaft at least helps a bit.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts