Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to replace my main pivot bearings. Anyone know the size of the main pivot bearings for I can check availability before I tear it apart?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had to get it from Trek. The axle bolt was seized to the bearing, no luck with penetrating oil and hammer. Had to drill the bolt out, took about 6 hours. Brutal.
For the future, Enduro Fork Seals carries them too. That's the crappiest bit of tech on that bike. It will continue to creak periodically and seize if you don't regularly check and relube it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the future, Enduro Fork Seals carries them too. That's the crappiest bit of tech on that bike. It will continue to creak periodically and seize if you don't regularly check and relube it.
Saw the new fuel's in show room had plastic cover over the bolt now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
My lower driveside seatpost pivot bearing just lasted no more than 900mi, 10 mths. It's completely locked up. Time to replace, again. Is it me?

We may have identified a weakness:

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts
Another issue, related to these main pivot bearings, is the bolt. My frame is new, never used, and I wanted to pull the bolts off and check the bearings for grease. Seemed to be a bit dry so I lubed the outer bearings and the bolt itself. Upon re-installing one of the bolts I noticed that it was turning hard and not going all the way in. I took it out and noticed that the threads were cross-threaded. It was not forced in just went in wrong, so now I need a new bolt on one side. Are these easy to get from Trek?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another issue, related to these main pivot bearings, is the bolt. My frame is new, never used, and I wanted to pull the bolts off and check the bearings for grease. Seemed to be a bit dry so I lubed the outer bearings and the bolt itself. Upon re-installing one of the bolts I noticed that it was turning hard and not going all the way in. I took it out and noticed that the threads were cross-threaded. It was not forced in just went in wrong, so now I need a new bolt on one side. Are these easy to get from Trek?
Yes any Trek dealer can get one in a few days, they updated the design of the bolt 2 from my original one

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you didn't bugger the threads too bad they may be able to be cleaned up with tap and die. The bolts are usually steel, and usually the threads that get f'd 1st is the female threads as they are usually made of aluminum (softer than steel). They also can be cleaned up. good luck

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
You can clean up the threads with a tap so the bolt will thread in easily, but the strength will significantly reduced because the threads are damaged. The tap only removes the material shredded from the threads, it doesn't fix what's left.

AFAIK, all current Trek suspension pivot bolts are aluminum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.