Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question, is the $425 price difference between the Anthem 2-$2575 and the Anthem SX-$3000 worth the upgrade?

Anthem 2 - Fox 34 Rhythm fork, Fox Float Performance Evol shock, Shimano SLX groupset, Giant XC-2 wheels, Nobby Nic Performance tires.

Anthem SX - Rockshox Yari RC Solo Air Fork, Rockshox Deluxe RT shock, SRAM NX groupset, Giant XC-1 wheels, Nobby Nic Snakeskin tires.

Both have a dropper post and are 1x11.
Anthem 2 comes in Deep Blue color and Anthem SX in Neon Red color.

Anthem 2 has 120mm of fork travel Anthem SX has 130mm of fork travel.
Both have 110mm of rear travel.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A couple years ago this would be an easy answer. Go with the RS. Today I can't be certain it makes a diff as the only new Fox stuff I've been on are the Factory models. Someone with more experience will chime in soon to give us an idea if a performance difference exists between Factory and Performance models. The only diff could simply be the adjustments (worth the $) and Kashima.
To answer I'd urge the SX. I love the difference 20mm makes on the (older) Anthem, and lighter wheels are ALWAYS the correct choice.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
think about this, it's a no brainer.
You pay a wopping 425$ more only to receive...

...a Sram drivetrain. Everyone knows that Shimano used to be better in the 90s

...a black Rock shox Yari fork. This fork looks as if it's suited to put you 6feet under.

...a wider handlebar. Everyone knows that wider handlebars are heavy and a fad. Cutting them down is a good way to save weight.

...Sram Guide brakes. Bad modulation, bad ergonomics. I hate them.

...Nobby Nic Evolution tires. I doubt they've any better performance than the Schwalbe Performance, I mean they're called performance right?

...marginally wider wheels (c'mon what's 23mm gonna do any better than 19mm - you're fu**ed either way!)

...the name Giant Anthem SX 2 alone sounds suspicious, as if the SX is put in place to divert from the number. I smell Overdrive 2 in this package

...the red colour. Yeah it looks pretty cool on the pictures but in real world I nearly had to puke.

based on these hard facts my conclusion here can only be: it's not worth it, stay away!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Such fresh jokes. The best. Can't believe you do this for free.

I'd take SLX 1x11 over NX 1x11. NX has gratuitously removed features (no brake mount integration) and SRAM somehow managed to make a cassette that weighs only slightly less than the average human head.

I'd also take the Shimano alpha-numeric salad brakes over Guide R's, which don't have the widget in them to reduce deadband that every Guide above R has.

The Performance Schwalbe's are bad, but then so are the Evolutions. I got about 400 miles on the rear Nobby Nic Evo on my Anthem before all of the side nobs started tearing off. Maybe Giant gets special OEM "Evolution" tires.

The $425 you save gets you most of the way to a much better set of wheels or more than all the way to converting the Fox Rhythm 34 to a 130 mm, presuming that's possible with the Rhythm series.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think you would be happy.with either bike. I have a 17 SX and like.the bike alot, for my riding style it just works. Ride both and see which one works better for.you. Any specific questions about the SX feel free to ask, happy riding.

P.S. you will wind up changing the front tire on either bike. The NN up front just doesnt work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise guys, I've never owned a bike with a Sram groupset but I did read that the NX cassette was pretty hefty. All the SLX groupset reviews that I've read have been pretty positive.

As far as the forks and shocks, I had no idea of which ones perform better. Don't know if the 10mm in travel makes a lot of difference.

My local bike shops don't have either one in stock so I'm ordering from a catalog. It's really difficult to tell how the colors look from pictures and YouTube videos.

Once again thanks for the advise, looks like I'm better of going with the Anthem 2 and using those $425 towards wheels or better components.

Ride1424 have you weighed your SX?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I've never owned a bike with a Sram groupset but I did read that the NX cassette was pretty hefty. All the SLX groupset reviews that I've read have been pretty positive.

have you weighed your SX?
judging by your username you don't have any other choice. Plus, that heavy Sram cassette with the weight of a human head is probably permanently married to the bike, but what do I know.

Concerning the weight I'd normally just google that or do the obvious and look it up in the Giant bikes 2017 thread where it has been posted numerous times but don't bother I weighted the Anthem SX myself last year, just for you:

tire clearance with 2.25 stock tires:

as you can see by components and cockpit setup this bike doesn't look like a lot of fun with a wide handlebar and short stem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
but what do I know.
A disproportionately small amount relative to your level of output.

That isn't the same bike. The Canadian market got two Anthem SX's, and that one has a much nicer component spec than the red one with a significantly higher price tag.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-anthem-sx

wide handlebar and short stem.
Because these components are permanently married to the bike, and one can't possible pick up a wide alloy bar and a Holzfeller stem on the cheap.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Alrighty, let me donate 3 Min of my life to help this poor guy out:

type www.google.com
"Giant Anthem SX 2 2017"
press [enter]

Results:
weight Anthem 2 2017 = 13.47kg (probably) without pedals
source:
http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/tested-giant-anthem-2/

weight Anthem SX 2 2017 = 29.07 weird imperial units = 13.18kg without pedals
source:
https://youtu.be/sn0mWlcZ_u0
minute 1:42

...happy now?

damn I'm good. I do it again and again and people are still astonished. Maybe I should start to charge money for lending my superior intellect to ordinary people out there

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the advise guys, I've never owned a bike with a Sram groupset but I did read that the NX cassette was pretty hefty. All the SLX groupset reviews that I've read have been pretty positive.

As far as the forks and shocks, I had no idea of which ones perform better. Don't know if the 10mm in travel makes a lot of difference.

My local bike shops don't have either one in stock so I'm ordering from a catalog. It's really difficult to tell how the colors look from pictures and YouTube videos.

Once again thanks for the advise, looks like I'm better of going with the Anthem 2 and using those $425 towards wheels or better components.

Ride1424 have you weighed your SX?
Up
I have not weighted it, but I will as soon as I can.. FYI- I do not run the stock wheelset, so the weight will be off. I am away on business, won't be home till Friday. Sorry

·
Registered
50 Posts
I own the 2017 red SX and I absolutely love it. Everyone who has hooped on it has loved it as well. I like having the extra travel....it's also the finest looking bike I've seen up close....and I don't even like the color red. It stands out amongst all the other bikes I see on the trail. I've done 4 xc races this year and the bike has impressd me more and more each time. I chose the SX over the Santa Cruz 5010 and Tallboy, because I felt it was better suited for xc racing. It's definitely not a straight XC race bike, but that's not what I was going for anyway. I love the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to a Giant dealer today and tried ordering the Anthem 2 but they said that Giant no longer had any at their warehouses. So I ordered the SX, I wasn't to crazy about the loud red color but I haven't see it in person, only pictures. Jstrong I assume the NX drivetrain and brakes are working out for you. I read pretty good reviews on the SLX but the NX reviews were only ok. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went to a Giant dealer today and tried ordering the Anthem 2 but they said that Giant no longer had any at their warehouses. So I ordered the SX, I wasn't to crazy about the loud red color but I haven't see it in person, only pictures. Jstrong I assume the NX drivetrain and brakes are working out for you. I read pretty good reviews on the SLX but the NX reviews were only ok. What's your opinion?
Battery's in my scale were dead, so I haven't weighed it yet. The NX has worked great so far. The only part of the group I didn't particularly like was the feel of the shifter, so I swapped it out (X1 in its place). The Guide R brakes to this point have worked fantastic, I have no complaints about them.I will say is that I am not a fan of the NN up front, it just doesn't work for me (new front rubber currently on its way). I guess if I want to nit pick, I wish it came with 125mm dropper instead of the 100mm (I ride the small) I have changed other parts out on the bike, but not because the stock components were bad, just to fit my personal preference (bar, stem , and wheel set). Anyway, you will love the bike, it is fun little ripper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brakes work great for me...and I work them pretty hard. Not sure why NX would get anything other than good reviews....I saw a review of the XTC,the Trance, and the Anthem where the NX and Guide brakes were praised. I believe Clint Gibbs, MTB Action Mag, and Bible of Bike tests were the sources that I remember. Honestly, I've never understood all the fuss over NX vs GX, SLX vs whatever....I'm just looking for the bike to change gears when I shift it.....the NX does that as well as I would need it to. Maybe if I had a bike that shifted terrible, I would appreciate the upgrade more....just hasn't been the case though. I think that you will love the bike. It looks awesome in person(in bike I guess). I kind of like the fact that my bike doesn't look like most of the other grey,black bikes that I see on the trail. Let me finish by saying that there are plenty who know way more than me. I just starting riding 8 months ago, but have purchased 7 Mountain bikes. I've researched a ton, and learn by trial and error. It's still tough for me to know if my fork or rear shock is the reason something is off or reacting a certain way...some people can tell you every little detail...not I. I respect the forum and have learned a ton from the responses I received when asking for help. BUT, it can also be overwhelming at times. The fact that the NX "has no brake mount integration", is over my head. It may make a difference for someone, but I doubt I'd tell the difference. It's good info though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the choice was easy because Giant didn't have any more Anthem 2's medium size at the warehouse and probably weren't going to get anymore. Guess the 2018 are almost out. So I went with the Anthem SX. The bike rides great, no regrets. The 1x11 NX drivetrain has been flawless. As far as the color it's a little on the orangy side, wish it was more of a dark red. Overall the bike is amazing, all it needs is a better rider but too bad it's stuck with me... Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts