Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Here is the back story to my question. I have a 2016 Trek Remedy 9.8 (29er) that has sustained some damage to the carbon frame at the main pivot. All of the carbon correction and bike shops around me have told me that they can not fix the bike and that it is unsafe to ride. I bought it used and at this time, sounds like trek can't help me through their warranty process.

So, I would like to explore buying a new frame and transfering over my forks, handle bars, wheels, dropper post and drive train. All of which have updated since the bike was bought new. I can't seem to find a 2016 Trek Remedy 9.8 frame for sale to make the transtion easy. Does anyone know of another frame I can buy that would be compatable with the current set up I have? Or does anyone have some tips about this process that I can try and read up on? Im not stuck on owning a specific manufacturers frame, just looking for something comparable to review if its worth completing the swap.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Unfortunately the 2016 model came with Shimano 2x11 for some reason instead of SRAM 1x11 like the 2015 had, so you will have to ditch the front derailleur and get a new 1x crank since there are basically no frames that have front derailleur mounts anymore. Other than that the components are compatible with a typical modern frame made after 2016 with a 31.6mm seat tube (nearly all frames are 31.6), youll just need a bottom bracket and headset that is compatible with the frame you choose (usually frames will come with these things, if not they are cheap), and since you will have to get a new crank you can wait until after choosing the frame and then match the crank to the bottom bracket it comes with.

The only things to look at would be:
29er frame for a 140mm fork
31.6 seat tube

If you are buying a frame made after 2016 then you shouldnt have to worry about it being boost, if its not boost then theyll point it out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts