Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2227 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
What's QR vs Thru Axle? Benefits or downsides?
TA, while probably the solution you'd arrive at if designing a bike for the first time right now, offers little if any true, quantifiable advantage in the rear or with a rigid fork. It offers much needed stabity and stiffness with a suspension fork.
Stories of rear hub flex (therefore thru-axle) are BS in my opinion. With a tightened QR and laced wheel there's no place for the hub flanges to go.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Haha a suspension fork already has too much unnecessary flex and movement to begin with, what's the problem with having more? Might as well have a bit of side to side to go with all that up n down and all that extra weight leading you thru hill and dale. Lol!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
been a loooong time since i sold trek, so i can't even remember how their pricing works or what the margins are depending on volume brought in.

i know i hardly ever ordered from Q when i sold trek cuz bontrager offered a pretty complete selection of parts/accessories and i automatically saved 5-10% on those orders by being a trek dealer. make money in

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
On that note - if anyone walks into a Trek dealer and they quote you the MSRP on the Trek site and won't budge - walk away and go to another dealer. Be looking for $200 off that MSRP at least. I did a little better because I bought 2 bikes.
2550.00 for Farley 9 , LBS loyalty pays off ! can't wait until it comes in !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
All you need to know is you want them. If you buy a new fatbike now without them, all you need to know is your local shop is glad you walked thru the door and took it off their hands.
I pre-ordered a Farley 5. Is it QR or Thru Axle? Still don't know what the physical difference is.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I pre-ordered a Farley 5. Is it QR or Thru Axle? Still don't know what the physical difference is.
If you don't know if your bike has either, or what the difference is, you won't be able to detect the very subtle differences between the two when riding. I wouldn't let this affect a bike purchase decision.

Honestly I think the biggest benefit of going TA is so you don't have to listen to people preaching the benefits of them lol.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
If you don't know if your bike has either, or what the difference is, you won't be able to detect the very subtle differences between the two when riding. I wouldn't let this affect a bike purchase decision.

Honestly I think the biggest benefit of going TA is so you don't have to listen to people preaching the benefits of them lol.
You mite bee meye fave poster twodae:)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is it possible to use same RF crankset that works on 2015 model with new 2016 frame?

This was found on bikerumour site:
The 26×5 are what Trek considers the size for exploration. Still ideal for loose or soft terrain, the bigger tires were made possible thanks to the wider rear end, but the pressfit 121 bottom bracket keeps the same q factor as the 177 bikes previously.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmm, that 7 though.
Now I am even more upset that the FatCaad is pretty tame/ugly compared to the purple 7, or even what looks to be the orange Fatboy comp. Just wish fatboy was 150TA front in case I felt crazy enough to get a bluto for summer fun.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
that new fatboi comp looks super tasty. nice to see the rf turbine cinch and 1x on it. i'd ride that bike fer sure, and i just might. or get a frame/fork and put some dt swiss wheels on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
that new fatboi comp looks super tasty. nice to see the rf turbine cinch and 1x on it. i'd ride that bike fer sure, and i just might. or get a frame/fork and put some dt swiss wheels on it.
That does make me more interested in the fatboy for sure. 1x and ROaRANGE is the fastest color, or so I hear. Wonder if the rims set up tubeless easy. And if I am honest, it will be a bit before I jump to bluto since this is a winter purchase in central PA. I can always build new wheels if I go full-fat.

Every time I work at the shop I check to see if they have new releases on the dealer site. I did see they have some new merino wool jerseys, which should come in cheaper than any rapha stuff (and hopefully nice enough).

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
ya i tried front suspension forks over 20 years ago and have owned them here and there since. suspension forks would be the ticket if they didn't move at all and were pounds lighter:)

i've never been sold on front squish no matter how rough and tough the riding/racing gets. fat tires at low pressure makes squish of any kind even more senseless. imo

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm with rog. I raged my Farley 6 last night in one gear, and was on the tail of a better rider (skills not engine) on a carbon Bucksaw last night. He usually stays ahead of me on rides, because my coordination is low, and tendency to fly off the trail is high. What I would lose on more technical sections, I'd make up for in climbs and straight shots.

41 - 60 of 2227 Posts