Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picked up the bike today. Impressed. Initial short rides were fun. The gray color is even better in person. Interesting thing is that the two colors I was considering are also the only colors shared between the ones made for females. Here are a couple initial pics taken today.
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Blue Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

·
Registered
286 Posts
I Figure out what I want, I am going to get,a Specialized Roll Comp. I was originally planning on getting a mountain bike. I came to the realization that mountain biking would be cool but what is the percentage of me riding around in the local hills? Probably less than 15 to 20 percent of my time, I will be mostly riding to the Dojo, riding with my kids, and Riding to the Gym, and riding out to the marsh. So at this point in time I am riding to get healthier I went to the local shop to see what they had. He showed me a couple of bikes but the one he really want to show me he sold it. But he showed me the roll online and I was like that's it. So in about a month I will be rolling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got out and gave this a good shakedown. Rode 13 miles today. Some dirt trail hardpack, beach trial, and city streets. So awesome. Handles and rides great. It was challenging finding the right gear for a strong onshore headwind. I wanted to buy a rack that clamps onto the seatpost but the angle doesn't work with the tire size unless I raise my seat higher than what I need. I've got a large frame.

The only differences between the different levels are the normal things like shifters and breaks. Also, the top two tiers have aluminum forks and the lower ones have cromoly.

I agree, Specialized should be pushing this bike more. The bike store I bought mine from said they don't keep them in stock long.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
We had one (Roll Sport in Oak Green) come in for a special order and I built it up today. Great alternative to a beach cruiser IMHO. Built up nice, and rode well on the test ride around the parking lot. I suggested that we get a few to put out on the sales floor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The green was the other color I was deciding on. The gray and aluminum fork won me over. When I saw the gray in person it was hard not to pull the trigger. The narrow bars also allow for making it through tighter clearance areas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up a Roll Elite from my LBS yesterday, nice bike so far I have only ridden it a few minutes so not to knowledgeable about it yet. I have not ridden a bike for years so I was pretty shocked when I saw the "made in china" sticker on the frame this a.m. TBH I wouldn't have made the purchase if I had known this yesterday, $650 for a chinese bike doesn't compute in my mind? I guess I am getting old/stupid cause I thought we avoided this crap by NOT going to walmart or target to buy bikes. Guess its simply unavoidable at this point. Makes me so sad for our country.

Attachments

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I picked up a Roll Elite from my LBS yesterday, nice bike so far I have only ridden it a few minutes so not to knowledgeable about it yet. I have not ridden a bike for years so I was pretty shocked when I saw the "made in china" sticker on the frame this a.m. TBH I wouldn't have made the purchase if I had known this yesterday, $650 for a chinese bike doesn't compute in my mind? I guess I am getting old/stupid cause I thought we avoided this crap by NOT going to walmart or target to buy bikes. Guess its simply unavoidable at this point. Makes me so sad for our country.
Kudos to you for trying, but if you want a frame that is made in the USA, be prepared to pay quite a bit more than that. Even many, if not most, boutique-ish brands are having their frames made overseas. Lots of Americans still got paid.

What you avoided by not going to Walmart or Target, is that you have a much nicer bicycle that will give you many years of satisfying service rather than a bicycle shaped object that will be relatively frustrating to ride and service if you ride it regularly. Be safe, have fun!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoa!
Hang on. I think a Roll would have handled that rail better. Not much but still better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2016 Roll Low Entry

Have owned my Roll for about 2 months now. Used to commute on a 29er hardtail conversion, but after mounting the Wald basket on the rear rack I grew tired of having to lift my leg 4-5' just to mount the bike when fully loaded. I don't want panniers and I'm not a huge fan of front loading (wheel flops around too much while loading, have to prop bike against something instead of using kickstand, interferes with lighting options, etc), but will still probably still pick up a specialized pizza rack if they're ever back in stock. This is when I started looking around at mixte/step through options, but none held much appeal. I wavered back and forth for months over whether or not to get a Rivendell Clementine, but was turned off by the rim brakes and didn't want to deal with a new dynamo hub wheel build. I happened to see the roll when I was in the shop picking up a tube, test rode it and bought it the following day. The only original parts on it now are the frame, fork and headset. Everything else I transferred from my old commuter or bought new. Current build is also my "road" bike and has no problem maintaining 18-20mph on the flats (with flat pedals at that). I highly recommend this bike and think it is the most versatile frameset in Specialized's lineup (even more so than the awol) and wish they sold it frame only. Performance of the bike is really limited to build/rider. I'm really loving the step through frame too. I could never go back to a top tube on a city bike. Don't notice any more flex when riding than I did on my previous bike.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought about the low entry too but didn't want to go with a "womens" frame. Not a big ego here but just couldn't pull the trigger. The low entry large isn't as big as the top tube style.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered the roll sport in oak green. It was going to be oak green or baby blue and neither one was available locally so I had to choose without being able to see one in person.

I'm hoping someone posts a pic of the baby blue one.

my other two bikes are drop bar and I was looking for bmx cruiser when I found the roll. What a great bike and very unique. I"ll probably end up setting it up like the comp X1.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Purchased a Roll Elite (low entry, size S) on 05/31/2016 for the wife. I have since then replaced the 125mm riser handlebar with the flat one that came off my 2013 EPIC and changed the seatpost and seat so I can cut it down to an extremely low height for my short wife. With the stock handlebar, she would ride it like a Harley with her arms almost parallel to the ground. Figured with the new seat/seatpost combo, I too can ride it with the stock seat/suspension seatpost by means of the quick release.

I've shopped around for a while and this by far is the best looking low entry bike I've seen. I totally don't feel emasculated by the low entry, and it's easily my favorite bike to cruise around town with my kid. With the black color, flat bar, mini bar ends and fancy bike bell, it definitely feels like a premium bike.

I've decided to keep the kickstand and stock pedals so you can ride it with flip flops. My wife is now asking for a basket (I haven't decided for front or rear yet), however the crazy part is I think it'll still look cool with one.

EDITED to add pictures.
Mode of transport Automotive tail & brake light Bicycle wheel rim Automotive exterior Rim Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Mode of transport Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Road

And he're a shot with the ulta-low bike seat/post. Hopefully this is only temporary, since my wife insists that she must be able to firmly place both feet on the ground while she tries to re-learn how to ride a bike 20 years ago.

Tire Wheel Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Purchased a Roll Elite (low entry, size S) . . . . . . . . My wife is now asking for a basket (I haven't decided for front or rear yet), however the crazy part is I still think it'll look cool with one.
Specialized makes a rack specifically for the Roll:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/126264

Good thing too. The racks I really like for comfort and hybrids are the Topeak Explorer series racks that have the MTX system. Topeak makes a few different types of accessories that have the MTX compatible mount so it's a modular system that can be configured different ways for different rides. Unfortunately, the seat tube on the Roll is quite slack, so when you put a Topeak Explorer on a Roll, if you adjust it so the rack is level to the ground, the basket slides right up against the back of the saddle (no es bueno). Had to tilt the rack back to get the basket away from the saddle a few inches. Looks a little odd to say the least. I also had to get an extra long set of bracket arms to reach the front of the rack from the seat stays.

You'll notice the supports on the Specialized Roll rack are angled rearward. This is so you can have room to level the rack without it coming too far up underneath the saddle. I wish Topeak made something similar, but as of now, they don't. You might be able to cobble a rack meant for front mounting from a company like Wald onto the Roll rack, and it would not likely be too difficult to do so.

That said, I would probably recommend the Topeak front basket:

Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Basket Front, w/Fixer 3e, Black

It's got an easy to use quick release system, and the mount sticks out a bit from the handlebar so the cables are usually kinked or otherwise compromised.

JMHO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Specailized Roll impression after 100 miles

Specialized Roll Elite is a versatile odd duck in the comfort bike category with capabilities beyond a typical neighborhood bike. Comfort biased very upright with an effective shock post seat, sporting an efficient ridged fork. The Roll is great in the city, geared for hills and can really haul on the open road if you pump the tires up to 55psi. I have about 160 miles on mine with mixed trail and city riding. The 650B tire format is a real asset for the Roll. 650B has a large enough radius to ride over the small trash and city pot holes trail roots...yet light enough to accelerate fast and provide nimble turning. The Roll is aptly named, it is a convertible magic carpet ride… Stock 2.3" Nimbus Sport Balloon tires offer very low rolling resistance and allow you to convert the Roll to fit the mission at hand. Simply bleed the balloon tires down to 25psi when you anticipate poor streets or rutty simple trail riding. Low pressure format achieves much of the damping benefit of a suspension fork without the efficiency loss and added maintenance/weight when you don't need one. Mine is now equipped with the factory fender option, Axiom DLX DISC rear rack and a few lights ready to Roll into many environments on street or trail. For field service/conversion I use a Topeak Turbo Morph Bike Pump with Gauge. This frame pump was a tight fit on the medium Roll frame but pushes the volume a balloon or Mountain Bike tire requires. If you have room for only one bike in your stable you should take a serious look at a Specialized Roll.

Matt

Attachments

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Purchased a Roll Elite (low entry, size S) . . . . . . . . My wife is now asking for a basket (I haven't decided for front or rear yet), however the crazy part is I still think it'll look cool with one.
Specialized makes a rack specifically for the Roll:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/126264

Good thing too. The racks I really like for comfort and hybrids are the Topeak Explorer series racks that have the MTX system. Topeak makes a few different types of accessories that have the MTX compatible mount so it's a modular system that can be configured different ways for different rides. Unfortunately, the seat tube on the Roll is quite slack, so when you put a Topeak Explorer on a Roll, if you adjust it so the rack is level to the ground, the basket slides right up against the back of the saddle (no es bueno). Had to tilt the rack back to get the basket away from the saddle a few inches. Looks a little odd to say the least. I also had to get an extra long set of bracket arms to reach the front of the rack from the seat stays.

You'll notice the supports on the Specialized Roll rack are angled rearward. This is so you can have room to level the rack without it coming too far up underneath the saddle. I wish Topeak made something similar, but as of now, they don't. You might be able to cobble a rack meant for front mounting from a company like Wald onto the Roll rack, and it would not likely be too difficult to do so.

That said, I would probably recommend the Topeak front basket:

Topeak® Cycling Accessories - Products - Basket Front, w/Fixer 3e, Black

It's got an easy to use quick release system, and the mount sticks out a bit from the handlebar so the cables are usually kinked or otherwise compromised.

JMHO

1 - 20 of 216 Posts