Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-Fusion Revel X Inverted Fork

Looks like the Pike may have some new competition coming soon....has anyone taken notice of the newest and cheaper Revel X by X-fusion? Killer looks and X-Fusion claims that the Revel is one of, if not the stiffest forks on the market. Worth a look for sure! :thumbsup:

X-Fusion Revel X Inverted Fork - Interbike 2015 - Pinkbike

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
It says its $1000. Its going up against a well known pike for a few hundred less, and the excellent (maybe better than a pike) mattoc for about $500.

I like the mini-dorado look, but thats steep.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,220 Posts
Agreed, I don't see how they are expecting to sell many at that pricepoint. Like it or not X-Fusion is stilled viewed by many as a cheaper budget solution. The only way I can see this happening is that this thing has amazing performance and is ultra reliable. Otherwise it's going to be a hard sell with the proven competition available for at or less than that same price.

The keyed legs is an interesting concept. I'll be curious to see how the chassis performs. Overall it looks like a nice fork.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Also have bleed valves for pressure build up under the seals. I've had that issue on my pike and my 36, and it sux!

I'm interested in reading the reviews, we'll see.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You can directly call X-Fusion to find out. I had spoken with them in early Dec, and at the time they said the ETA was still late Jan. That's also when retrofit Roughcut dampers are supposed to be available for the RL2 forks. No idea whether the timeline's changed, but I was thinking of calling them again soon.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Talked to them a few weeks ago:

Hi Colin,

We are expecting the Revel X around late March. Prices are now $999.00 for the Black or Gold version.

Cheers,

John Valera

·
Registered
469 Posts
i couldnt help it, I called X Fusion (just now).

As John states - and I'm paraphrasing:

The production of the Revel is now being pushed back beyond the April timeframe...The big boy suspension brands basically had a larger order so the X Fusion production got their spot in the line 'cut in front of'. We cannot offer a production completion date as of now, it could be June, it may even get pushed back up - we just cant say.

GAJHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - never have I wanted a fork so badly, why cant they just make the damned thing!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
GAJHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - never have I wanted a fork so badly, why cant they just make the damned thing!
It sounds like they can't make it because someone in one of the big brands doesn't want them to.

I'm itching for a demo ride on one, if it follows the rest of their UK pricing this will come in under the 36 and Deville price wise. That's a very tempting prospect indeed.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'll point out that a very similar thing happened with the Sweep a few years ago. It was announced in April 2013, expected June, and didn't actually ship to customers until Jan '14. Before that, the Sweep had been announced as a 650b version of the Slant a year earlier.

People that time around were complaining about XF being "that company" that announces and can't get their **** together. However I'm persuaded that it's just difficult to compete when your global supply chain is shared with much larger competitors.

Personally, I might opt for a Roughcut HLR retrofit for my Sweep RL2 rather than the Revel upgrade I was planning on. Or I may hold off on any fork upgrade until the Revel gets released and tested. I wish more folks had gotten the chance to ride the prototype and write about it. It feels like a bit of a leap of faith.

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who knows if the new HLR damper will retrofit in the older Trace forks? Looking to pick up a new 13 or 14 model RL2 and wanted to make sure that it can be upgraded later on. Is it $200 from Xfusion for the new damper?

·
Registered
784 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the Roughcut will retrofit into any 34mm-stanchioned X-Fusion fork. If you find an old RL2 fork on closeout, that could be a steal of a deal.

$200 direct from XF plus shipping from California. Mine arrived Monday. I can't say anything about its performance yet due to my local trail conditions - most any functional damper feels the same in single-digit temps going slow through deep powder.

To do the install you'll need a 6-point 28mm socket with the bevel ground down, an 11mm socket, 1.5mm allen (to remove RL2 adjuster knobs), 2mm allen (for the RC HLR knobs), torque wrench, and an XF damper removal tool (it's an inexpensive threaded doodad to seat the damper rod into the lowers). Might as well replace the lowers oil bath while you're at it, and XF sells their own "Pure Slick Fluid". Think Fox Float fluid, but intended for this fork/dust wiper combination.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.