Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike (2016 Occam TR H30, 29er, aluminum) is 1 year old with 2500 miles. This aluminum frame has pivot bearings concentric with the rear axle (whereas the carbon models have no pivot, just flex). There seems to be a fair bit of lateral play, so I'm considering replacing those bearings. I don't feel any obvious issues with the other bearings but should I replace those also?

I'm considering the bearing kit from RWC:

ORBEA Bearing Kits from RWC
($55)

Or is it likely that bushings or other specific parts also need to be replaced, in which case I might need the entire kit?

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/gear/kit-de-articulacion-modelos-occam
(but this kit seems to be only the main pivots??)

Does anybody have advice on which tools to buy to do the bearing removal/replacement? If I'm investing in tools, I'd like these to work for the bottom bracket also.

Thanks-

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
The drive side bearing in the main pivot does seem to wear a little quick. The rest of them hold up quite well. You should be able to buy the bearing from a local bearing shop.

I use a punch and hammer to remove the bearing and I have a press to put them in. You should be able to easily make your own press.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My bike (2016 Occam TR H30, 29er, aluminum) is 1 year old with 2500 miles. This aluminum frame has pivot bearings concentric with the rear axle (whereas the carbon models have no pivot, just flex). There seems to be a fair bit of lateral play, so I'm considering replacing those bearings. I don't feel any obvious issues with the other bearings but should I replace those also?

I'm considering the bearing kit from RWC:

ORBEA Bearing Kits from RWC
($55)

Or is it likely that bushings or other specific parts also need to be replaced, in which case I might need the entire kit?

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/gear/kit-de-articulacion-modelos-occam
(but this kit seems to be only the main pivots??)

Does anybody have advice on which tools to buy to do the bearing removal/replacement? If I'm investing in tools, I'd like these to work for the bottom bracket also.

Thanks-
Having the same slight lateral play on mine.
LBS suggest the Main Pivot as well.
Did this above work for you?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I never changed the bearings and just forgot about it and rode the bike. Still ridin the bike in 2020, never touched the frame bearings except to lube them occasionally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts