Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

441 - 445 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
looks fantastic, well done, i am in a similar boat, just picked a carbon 06 frame myself and built it up - just not to that degree :D

i took a leap of faith as it's the style of bike i usually enjoy, i had read mixed reviews on it, some love some meh but I have been super impressed. it has a perfect balance of stability and liveliness, it instills confidence going down the steep and rough stuff and climbs fantastic.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Gettin' back on the bike again after 10 yrs away...

Literally 3-4 mo of research to just understand where Mtn. biking has gone in the last 10 years (holy crap!) + what kind of bike I really want/need for the riding i'll be doing at 50+ anymore.
The wealth of articles on this bike here and elsewhere helped immensely, I Demo'd a '19 Transition Smuggler,...an eye opener! then finally settled on a Devinci Troy.

Looking at used bikes, I found a late 2016 Troy frame in excellent condition, cpl 3-4 small nicks on the entire frame. (Thanks Darryl!)

View attachment 1255975

Targeting as many used high-end parts as possible to stretch the budget has naturally paced the build. and so I began my 1st build in over 10 years..

Specs :
- 2016 Troy Carbon Large
- Custom VentureShield frame protection
- 40mm Boost wheel set, Sun-Ringle hubs/alloy rims - Stupid good deal, couldn't afford not to..
- 27.5x30mm F, R + 29x30mm Ft, boost/Carbon 'Mullet' wheel set again, crazy deal on 3 carbon wheels couldn't pass on
- 29/27.5+ Pike, boost w/Debonair spring upgrade, 160mm
- Crank Bros Highline 125mm Dropper
- Origin8 35mm / 50mm stems w/Ti hrdwr
- Easton CF bars 760MM
- Carbon/Ti Seat tube clamp
- SqLab 611 saddle,
- Gore Tec Teflon coated Der. cable
- Roller bearing upper bushing upgrade to Monarch shock
- Repl. steel bolts w/Ti: Pivots, Stem, ISCG, dropper, der., shifters, etc.
- Fab'd up a custom DT protector of 1/16in. embossed marine vinyl from
top to BB.

View attachment 1255977

Custom Paint (no love 4 the 'TROY' script up the SS & links, I wrapped the SS and painted/clear coated all alloy parts: Chain stays. Stems, Linkage plates, fork legs, crown w/a special clear coat that pops in sunlight.

View attachment 1255979

View attachment 1255981

View attachment 1255983

Custom molded chainstay protector (with SUGRU moldable rubber glue!)
then wrapped in silicone fuse tape.

View attachment 1255963

View attachment 1255985

View attachment 1255987

Hope ZS headset
Hope OG Mono 6ti & Mono M4 brakes

assessing expected ride height w/tires and when fork travel is upgraded

View attachment 1255989

Still need to decide on complete drive train, 11/12sp? and which crank standard btwn Shimano, GXP, Dub,

What a learning experience so far...
1st "slack"/New Geo frame design
1st tubeless setups
1st 1x setup
1st rear gear larger than 36!
1st RS fork in 20+ years
1st RS rear shock ever
1st PF-BB ( Wtf, whose idea was this?! )
1st build over 50 lol

Mocked the bike up with everything i have so far on it and damn if i'm not jonesin' crazy hard to get it dirty!

spare a thought...

Ol' Skewl Goodness. Still Rockin after 20 yrs,....with select upgrades.. 27.5/26 Mullet FSR

View attachment 1255991
I would keep looking for a 27.5 fork - a 160mm 29er fork will not work well- geometry will be whacked

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Bloody Bastard
167 Posts
Gettin' back on the bike again after 10 yrs away...

Literally 3-4 mo of research to just understand where Mtn. biking has gone in the last 10 years (holy crap!) + what kind of bike I really want/need for the riding i'll be doing at 50+ anymore.
The wealth of articles on this bike here and elsewhere helped immensely, I Demo'd a '19 Transition Smuggler,...an eye opener! then finally settled on a Devinci Troy.

Looking at used bikes, I found a late 2016 Troy frame in excellent condition, cpl 3-4 small nicks on the entire frame. (Thanks Darryl!)

View attachment 1255975

Targeting as many used high-end parts as possible to stretch the budget has naturally paced the build. and so I began my 1st build in over 10 years..

Specs :
- 2016 Troy Carbon Large
- Custom VentureShield frame protection
- 40mm Boost wheel set, Sun-Ringle hubs/alloy rims - Stupid good deal, couldn't afford not to..
- 27.5x30mm F, R + 29x30mm Ft, boost/Carbon 'Mullet' wheel set again, crazy deal on 3 carbon wheels couldn't pass on
- 29/27.5+ Pike, boost w/Debonair spring upgrade, 160mm
- Crank Bros Highline 125mm Dropper
- Origin8 35mm / 50mm stems w/Ti hrdwr
- Easton CF bars 760MM
- Carbon/Ti Seat tube clamp
- SqLab 611 saddle,
- Gore Tec Teflon coated Der. cable
- Roller bearing upper bushing upgrade to Monarch shock
- Repl. steel bolts w/Ti: Pivots, Stem, ISCG, dropper, der., shifters, etc.
- Fab'd up a custom DT protector of 1/16in. embossed marine vinyl from
top to BB.

View attachment 1255977

Custom Paint (no love 4 the 'TROY' script up the SS & links, I wrapped the SS and painted/clear coated all alloy parts: Chain stays. Stems, Linkage plates, fork legs, crown w/a special clear coat that pops in sunlight.

View attachment 1255979

View attachment 1255981

View attachment 1255983

Custom molded chainstay protector (with SUGRU moldable rubber glue!)
then wrapped in silicone fuse tape.

View attachment 1255963

View attachment 1255985

View attachment 1255987

Hope ZS headset
Hope OG Mono 6ti & Mono M4 brakes

assessing expected ride height w/tires and when fork travel is upgraded

View attachment 1255989

Still need to decide on complete drive train, 11/12sp? and which crank standard btwn Shimano, GXP, Dub,

What a learning experience so far...
1st "slack"/New Geo frame design
1st tubeless setups
1st 1x setup
1st rear gear larger than 36!
1st RS fork in 20+ years
1st RS rear shock ever
1st PF-BB ( Wtf, whose idea was this?! )
1st build over 50 lol

Mocked the bike up with everything i have so far on it and damn if i'm not jonesin' crazy hard to get it dirty!

spare a thought...

Ol' Skewl Goodness. Still Rockin after 20 yrs,....with select upgrades.. 27.5/26 Mullet FSR

View attachment 1255991
Wow. You and I seem to be on very similar journeys. I went away from biking for about 10 years and pulled my old hardtail out of retirement when the weather warmed up earlier this year. I initially planned to swap out components to get the bike up to speed, but a buddy recommended that I consider a new bike altogether considering so much has changed/evolved over the past decade. I decided it was time to take a hard look at full-suspension bikes and test drove quite a few before ultimately deciding on a 2019 Troy Carbon 29 GX. Transition, Trek, Specialized, Rocky Mountain and a few other brands were being considered as well. So much to get caught up on and I feel like there's still much more to learn. I will also be taking a MTB bike clinic when the opportunity presents itself. I feel like I need to learn how to ride a bike again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I understand your point, but if i have literally no experience of anything else and I adapt to what i've built, ..... I don't think it'll make any real difference....

at 50+ im no EWS wannabe anymore lol just want to have fun in the mtns on my bike again and burn some midlife crisis weight in the process ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow. You and I seem to be on very similar journeys. I went away from biking for about 10 years and pulled my old hardtail out of retirement when the weather warmed up earlier this year. I initially planned to swap out components to get the bike up to speed, but a buddy recommended that I consider a new bike altogether considering so much has changed/evolved over the past decade. I decided it was time to take a hard look at full-suspension bikes and test drove quite a few before ultimately deciding on a 2019 Troy Carbon 29 GX. Transition, Trek, Specialized, Rocky Mountain and a few other brands were being considered as well. So much to get caught up on and I feel like there's still much more to learn. I will also be taking a MTB bike clinic when the opportunity presents itself. I feel like I need to learn how to ride a bike again.
Let me be the first to offer a hearty " Welcome back!" the Dirt's missed ya. ;-)
I was a nearly daily poster on this site in the late 90's and was at the 1st couple of Forum meetups we did in SF and Fruita colorado WAY BACK... then life, marriage, career, kids, etc all got in the way...

interesting that with so many of us out here there are many of us that have similar bike / life trajectories....

When i got back in, it took me a cpl weeks to realize everything i knew 10 yrs ago is virtually moot today. The tech has evolved so much in even the last 3-4 years much less 15+ i have a TROVE of Killer parts stored since the early/mid 2000's and about the only parts i could still use on my new build were... Grips, cables/housing and my precious Hope brakes... lol

I've built 30 bikes easily for myself and friends thru the years, i knew it all BITD.

It took me 4 months to digest and wrap my head around ALL the ways bike tech has advanced and evolved, & don't even start on "standards".....

From tubeless tires to Press fit bb's, tapered steerers/headsets, 1x drivetrains, boost or not, plus or not, direct mount clutch equipped Rr Der's, Carbon frames, wheels, 800+mm wide CF bars, with sub 50mm CF stems, & cogsets the size of dinner plates, Oh, & Torque caps...lol.

It's a whole new world. I still have a blast on the FSR but the Troy is like a "wonderbike from the future" to me lol, its way more bike than I can use fully esp. at my age any more, its got more travel & capability, is light as hell AND strong AF, and looks sweet to boot.

441 - 445 of 445 Posts