Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm excited as everyone else to get my hands on a new troy. Wanted to start a thread on what people are saying and what fork lengths people are going to put on the new model. I have a 160mm fox 36 I might set it up with but worries about the geo changing and the ride quality diminishing. Post up.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Stock builds are with a 150mm RS Pike (542mm axle to crown) and your 160mm 36 has a 549mm axle to crown. So a minimal difference - less than .5 degree head angle change and probably a few mm's of BB height change. I think anything in the 150-160mm range on the Troy works well. I used a 140mm for a short bit and it was definitely too short/not ideal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock builds are with a 150mm RS Pike (542mm axle to crown) and your 160mm 36 has a 549mm axle to crown. So a minimal difference - less than .5 degree head angle change and probably a few mm's of BB height change. I think anything in the 150-160mm range on the Troy works well. I used a 140mm for a short bit and it was definitely too short/not ideal.
Haven't seen them in person but saw pics recently on dirtmountainbike. Two color options, white and green.
Has anyone seen the 2016's in person yet? Is Devinci still going with the 3k weave over uni on the carbon models?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm on the same boat. I really really want it but the boost options are so limited. I love spank wheels and just heard directly from them boost is not coming out soon. Only true options are chappy sram wheels, custom set with hope pro 4 (just announced) or i9 hubs or their own wheel sets.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm on the same boat. I really really want it but the boost options are so limited. I love spank wheels and just heard directly from them boost is not coming out soon. Only true options are chappy sram wheels, custom set with hope pro 4 (just announced) or i9 hubs or their own wheel sets.
What is the difference between Pro 2s and Pro 4s? Im okay with the Pro2 Evo 40t I have on my DH bike plus the price I get them for is correct. All my other bikes use 240s and one set of 350s. My friend has been running I9 classic hubs on his DH bikes for a few years now without issue, price may be my issue.

I have zero 650b bikes so rear hub spacing isn't so much an issue. I was looking hard at the Aurum with its 142x12 rear spacing as it would allow myself to swap wheelsets if and when I went 650b. The 650b Operator is coming with Boost 148 so that is a possibility as well.

I likely could get a 16 Trance Advanced 1 complete for the price of a Troy frame/fork but those 17.3" CS are the same as my V10C. Plus I would have to order a 36 for the stock 34 (Had a 34 on my Chromag, switched to 36 when they came out)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
No 3k weave on the white/black. The green/black is gloss but I've only seen the picture in the dealer book, so not sure on that one. I will say that you have to see the new bike in person to appreciate just how different it looks - much burlier, beefed up everywhere. Looks awesome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave! I'm in. I want it. Will be going for the RS model in Green if everything lines up for me.
I would love to pull the trigger but as I'm trying to build a frame up the wheels is my biggest concern. Need to do more research. Another thing for me to look into is whether my current next sl cranks and raceface n/W ring will work with the boost chain line. Dam you sram!!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I would love to pull the trigger but as I'm trying to build a frame up the wheels is my biggest concern. Need to do more research. Another thing for me to look into is whether my current next sl cranks and raceface n/W ring will work with the boost chain line. Dam you sram!!

Your cranks will work fine. Your chainline won't be optimal with your current ring, but it will probably work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally pulled the trigger. Getting the green/black troy, dvo diamond all blacked out and i9 enduro wheels. Can't wait.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your cranks will work fine. Your chainline won't be optimal with your current ring, but it will probably work.
I contacted Raceface to see if the Next SL with the single direct mount chainring will work with the Boost 148. SRAM has a 49mm chainline and it would have to be moved 3mm more outboard to work (52mm chainline is ideal). The NextSL direct mount chainline is 51mm and according to Raceface will work perfectly with 148 Boost.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey guys, I'm excited as everyone else to get my hands on a new troy. Wanted to start a thread on what people are saying and what fork lengths people are going to put on the new model. I have a 160mm fox 36 I might set it up with but worries about the geo changing and the ride quality diminishing. Post up.
I am currently riding a Norco Sight Carbon with a 150mm Pike. I've done some calculating and figure a 160mm Pike on the 2016 Troy would give a bottom bracket height of 341mm which is exactly the same as my Sight. The head tube angle would be 66.4 degrees on the Troy with a 160mm Pike. My Norco is 66.9. My Norco handles like a dream. The new Troy has shorter chain stays, a longer top tube and would only be 1/2 degree slacker.

I am probably going to get a Troy frame and outfit it with a 160mm Pike and Cane Creek DB Air with climbswitch and use it as an Enduro bike that can double as a trail bike for when my Norco Sight is out of commission for repairs/adjustment/service.

·
Registered
147 Posts
JNG- have you looked at Devinci's Spartan? That may be more up your alley for an enduring rig. My impression is that the Troy and Norco Sight are very similar (but I have not ridden a Sight), and you would just end up adding competition for your current bike rather than offsetting your collection with a more burly/enduro style bike. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 445 Posts