Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to upgrade my 2015 Trek Fuel EX bike and I have a couple of questions. Please forgive my lack of knowledge because I’m learning as I go. My bike has quite a bit of riding time on it and the drive system needs to be upgraded and maybe the forks also to get a little more travel. I plan on keeping the bike so I know I’m going to spend more than I should, but I do like the bike a lot.

What does boost and non boost mean?

I’m planning to upgrade to a SRAM Eagle DUB Groupset and my bottom bracket seems fine with no movement up or down or side to side. I’m not sure about what is compatible with my 2015 Fuel EX. There are so many different set-ups that it’s confusing to a novice like myself. The group set I want to buy comes with a crank set, but I don’t know if I need to change the bottom bracket for it to work? Any help on this would be appreciated.

My my bike has Fox 32 forks and I’d like to move up to a Fox 36 Fork. I think Trek takes the tapered stem fork, but I’m not sure about that.

I’m 5’9” tall and I think the 170mm crank size is right for me, but maybe the 175mm is better?

Any help from the more knowledgeable members would be greatly appreciated since I’m still trying to figure all of this out. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
Boost is a hub spacing standard.

Boost has a 148mm axle and non-boost has a 142mm axle

It's a 5 year old BB, change it.

What travel are you at right now and what travel do you want to put on it?

Crank length is a personal preference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. My bike was a project one Fuel EX in the bike dealer showroom and I saw it and liked the way it looked and road, but I really don’t know the specifics about it since I didn’t order it. I wish I did. What I do know is the drive system is worn and needs to be updated. I don’t compete because of my age, but I love to ride trails and get my exercise riding my bike for health reasons primarily. I wish I could buy a new high end bike, but upgrading this one makes more sense financially.

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
It's still a great bike.

I checked the specs and it came with a 120mm fork, it may prove best value to send it away to Fox (or their service agent) for a rebuild and refresh. IMO a 36 is overkill on a '14FEX.

I wouldn't go more than 130mm travel, in which case a 34 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have a 17 Trek Fuel EX5 that I bought new. It came with a 130mm front fork and I swapped it out for a DVO Diamond 150mm. The difference is night and day in improvement. I have a Niner RIP Carbon frame, carbon wheels, carbon bars, etc and I still take the Trek out about 1/2 the time. Love that bike

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had the same bike with a Fox Factory 34 at 140mm instead of the 120mm stock and it was excellent. Granted, I pushed it beyond its pay grade but it was excellent everywhere.
130mm is a great spot to land on though.

Unless you're planning on sending it through the roughest trails and jumps I'd stick with Fox 34 / Rockshox Pike. Anything more is overkill.
You do need a tapered steerer but beware of going boost on that fork as it requires a boost wheel (110mm X 15mm)
Or a boost hub laced to the front rim (costly)
Or boost spacers (search on eBay)

Depending on your wheels it's questionable if it'll provide any value.

If you're getting a new bike it'll be boost (148mm) or superboost (157mm) rear spacing depending on what bike you get (sorry for the additional confusion on hub spacing).

Definitely get the bike serviced if it needs it. After 5 years getting the suspension and bearings checked would give it a freshener.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.