Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been slowly upgrading my trance. Replaced the rear triangle which was bent, converted to an xm481 on 240 hubs wheelset, and changed the rear dropout to 142x12. I also changed the stem/ handlebar combo from a 40mm/25 rise to a 32mm/35 rise in hopes that I won't be as slouched forward, which I feel like I am, a lot. The bike is a medium, I'm 170cm /80 inseam and the reach feels a bit long, and the stack is a bit low. All the reading has made me realize that this is definitely geometry-related, as modern bikes have gone towards having the rider be more upright. I rode a couple of more modern bikes and felt much more upright and "in the bike".

The stem/handlebar swap has definitely helped but I feel more "on top of the bike" now, instead of "in the bike", closer to my xc rig. This makes me a bit less confident on the descent, while simultaneously not exactly what I'm looking for in terms of being more upright.

If I change the fork to a 160mm one (read a lot about this, the frame was indeed built for it) won't it put my front end higher, bb higher, and slacken the ht angle? Will it help towards feeling a bit more "in the bike"? The current fork is a 140mm fox 32 CTD. Don't care so much about the travel as I do for the geometry change. The steerer tube is at 175 and I'm on top, no more spacers.

I'll definitely swap to a modern frame eventually, but it's a nice opportunity to realize how a fork change would change the feel of the bike regarding geometry. Any input is welcome.

Looking for a used pike, non-boost. If you have other suggestions, shoot.

Thank you.

· Registered
21 Posts
I have the same size/model/year as you and interested to hear what others come up with.

One upgrade that I have been considering is purchasing an angled headset. Seems like it’s the only reasonable thing we can do to modernize our frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same size/model/year as you and interested to hear what others come up with.

One upgrade that I have been considering is purchasing an angled headset. Seems like it's the only reasonable thing we can do to modernize our frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
something like this?

Looks interesting to slacken the ht angle, don't think it will help with being more in the bike and upright. Maybe a bit, certainly not enough.

· Registered
121 Posts
A longer travel fork will not bring your handlebars any closer to you, the relationship between the bars and the seat will remain the same.

If you are open to suggestions, it's much cheaper & easier to add high rise handle bars if you don't already have them. Going from a 20mm rise to a 40mm rise would have a significant impact.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A longer travel fork will not bring your handlebars any closer to you, the relationship between the bars and the seat will remain the same.

If you are open to suggestions, it's much cheaper & easier to add high rise handle bars if you don't already have them. Going from a 20mm rise to a 40mm rise would have a significant impact.
Yes I realize it wont. I went from a 25 to a 35 handle bar and it did make a difference, but also made me feel more "on top" rather than "in" the bike. Hence the question about the fork bringing the front up, acting like a slight "moderniser" of geometry.

· Registered
461 Posts
Yes I realize it wont. I went from a 25 to a 35 handle bar and it did make a difference, but also made me feel more "on top" rather than "in" the bike. Hence the question about the fork bringing the front up, acting like a slight "moderniser" of geometry.
Longer fork will slacken HA and increase wheelbase, so in theory it would put you more "in the bike". Would suggest to go 160mm Pike, had Trance SX from that year and it was great with 160mm Pike. Way better than 32 CTD noodles you ride now :D

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Longer fork will slacken HA and increase wheelbase, so in theory it would put you more "in the bike". Would suggest to go 160mm Pike, had Trance SX from that year and it was great with 160mm Pike. Way better than 32 CTD noodles you ride now :D
The 32 ctd is so bad its not even funny. I had a 203 rotor up front and when turning i could hear the rotor scrape the pads from the fork flex.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
You should use slightly longer stem and lower bars to feel more in the bike.
This way you'll have longer cockpit and lower center of gravity.

I've experimented on different bars and heights on my Trance 29 and contrary to popular belief, I found that the bike performs better and feels more comfortable with lower bars both uphill and downhill.

Angle adjusting headset will help with steeps as it gives you more stability downhill.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You should use slightly longer stem and lower bars to feel more in the bike.
This way you'll have longer cockpit and lower center of gravity.

I've experimented on different bars and heights on my Trance 29 and contrary to popular belief, I found that the bike performs better and feels more comfortable with lower bars both uphill and downhill.

Angle adjusting headset will help with steeps as it gives you more stability downhill.
Im trying to be both "in the bike" while simultaneously be more upright. I had a 40 mm stem and a 25 mm riser and was suffering from wrist pain. Felt too slouched forward. Now that aspect is better, but im a bit disconnected. I get that its geometry related first and foremost. So will a longer travel fork help in that regard?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
1,246 Posts
Im trying to be both "in the bike" while simultaneously be more upright. I had a 40 mm stem and a 25 mm riser and was suffering from wrist pain. Felt too slouched forward. Now that aspect is better, but im a bit disconnected. I get that its geometry related first and foremost. So will a longer travel fork help in that regard?
Is your saddle adjusted properly? If the nose of the saddle pointing too much down you are going to have wrist pains cos the weight is being pushed on the bars.
Equally, if the saddle is too much in the front it will will push your weight forward.

You feel disconnected because you are hovering over the bike with the center of gravity high up.

Unless you have large saddle to bar drop and are severely .lacking flexibility, you should be okay with flat of negative rise stem and mini rise bars.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is your saddle adjusted properly? If the nose of the saddle pointing too much down you are going to have wrist pains cos the weight is being pushed on the bars.
Equally, if the saddle is too much in the front it will will push your weight forward.
Yes saddle is ok. Its indeed moved a bit forward, but i think that helps shortening the reach no?

You feel disconnected because you are hovering over the bike with the center of gravity high up.
Yes.

Unless you have large saddle to bar drop and are severely .lacking flexibility, you should be okay with flat of negative rise stem and mini rise bars.
Care to elaborate a bit more on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.