Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any real changes or pluses to the 2016 model?
I am looking to change the fork on my Remedy (140mm Pike) and I was thinking a 150mm Float Fox 36 . Got my eye on a 2015 160mm Float 36 RC2, and I would change the travel to 150.
Just checking to see if there really is any benefit to the 2016....

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. BNG. Excellent.
I pounced on it. I figure I'll reduce it to 150, and even if the valving or something is not as good, I can send it to PUSH and still come out $300+ in the black over a 2016.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Any real changes or pluses to the 2016 model?
I am looking to change the fork on my Remedy (140mm Pike) and I was thinking a 150mm Float Fox 36 . Got my eye on a 2015 160mm Float 36 RC2, and I would change the travel to 150.
Just checking to see if there really is any benefit to the 2016....
Fox claims service intervals on the 2016's are 125 hours while on the 2015's were 30 hours.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
2016 has two versions of the 36, one of them can be had with a 15mm quick release and a FIT4 damper that allows you to lock out the fork if you feel you need that option.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is interesting. I expected the Fox to be a lot heavier for some reason.

Pike, with Maxle - 140mm travel
1920 grams
Pike on scale.jpg

Fox 36 160mm travel, with 15mm axle, 15mm axle adapters, and uncut steerer.
2030 grams
Fox36 on scale.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting DWB, I'm looking to upgrade my Revelation RC3 to either a Pike or a Fox 36. Any reason you didn't like the Pike?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting DWB, I'm looking to upgrade my Revelation RC3 to either a Pike or a Fox 36. Any reason you didn't like the Pike?
I am not a huge RockShox fan. It worked well, but when my frame got warrantied, Trek sent me a Remedy 9.9 frame, which was a matte finish grey. The glossy black Pike was not a problem, but I was also getting a set of wheels. Everything coming together just made me get a 20mm axle fork, a little more travel, and a beefier fork yet.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Pike is more supple in the mid range, but the 36 provides a lot more support and rides higher. For typical XC/Trail stuff the Pike feels a little better. More aggressive riders 36 no question.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pike is more supple in the mid range, but the 36 provides a lot more support and rides higher. For typical XC/Trail stuff the Pike feels a little better. More aggressive riders 36 no question.
Actually, I forgot too. I was having an issue with what felt like a very harsh initial stroke. I just rebuilt to Pike four days ago, and he air shaft was very difficult to push into the fork, even with the air cap off. There must be an insane vacuum under that air shaft seal head.

I also did not like the complete and total lack of compression adjustment on the Pike. No reason any fork today should not have FULLY adjustable damping. I also left an extra 20mm on the fork steerer for me to experiment with.
I am a 200 lb rider, and the Pike solved a lot of issues on my old bike, with a Fox Float 32. That fork was flexy. The Pike was much stiffer, but my brother has a 36 on his Claymore, and that thing was just ridiculously sweet. Again, just multiple things coming together made me decide to buy a beefier fork.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Fox claims service intervals on the 2016's are 125 hours while on the 2015's were 30 hours.
Wow that is huge deal. Partly why I've stayed away from Fox in the past. Doing research now on a new 160mm 27.5 fork. So many choices! Lyrik and 36 are leading the pack for me. But if the OP is set on a 20mm axle, then, well, Rockshox has given up on ya :(

·
HAHA PWN
177 Posts
This is the issue you had with your Pike.
http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/air-pike-lowers-psa-929695.html

I replaced my Pike with a 36 also and I love being able to move my high/low compression for different terrain. Like everyone said the Pike has a slight advantage in the small bumps, but I think Fox beats it on everything else, especially on rough high speed terrain. The 2016 Fox stuff is really good. I would like to see how the new Lyrik stacks up to it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I had the fork completely apart. Lowers off, air fill top cap removed. I would push up on the air shaft, and it would forcefully return. It took a lot of pressure to push up on the air shaft. The only thing that would be causing that, is a vacuum below the upper piston and the lower seal head.

First ride on the 36 yesterday was great. My brother was watching me through a very rocky section, and he was amazed at how the fork was working. I could hear the damping circuits functioning, and the quality of the ride was excellent. It did feel a little stiffer, but it was only one ride.
So far however, I am extremely impressed, and my brother and dad riding with me were equally impressed with what they saw on the action.

I have two travel reducers due in Wednesday. I'm going to drop in one of them to reduce to 150mm. I may not reduce to 140, but I have the option now at least!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think most of the service intervals are crap anyway.
My dads '07 Specialized Stumpjumper has a Fox Talas on it, and he only did his first service on it December 2013. He rides that bike A LOT too.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
What if you have a "hybrid" fork - 2015 FIT damper, low friction wipers and 20 wt gold in a 2014 model?
The 125 hour interval was implemented with the introduction of 20wt Gold. Nevertheless, I would still service the fork frequently as even with SKF sealheads the dampers ingest a lot of oil and the risk of bursting a bladder is quite high. Also, the longer you ride on dusty terrain, the higher the risk of wipers getting packed with dirt and wearing down your stanchions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts